Beaches...

jdro

Hi,

My husband and Myself and our kids (21 & 16) will be there from 8-5, we've done tours before this time we are using it as a beach day any recommendations? Any beaches like Orient in St. Maarten? with beach bars and shopping?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Hi there,

I've only been to San Juan once, but my group decided to do a beach day here. We went to Isla Verde beach and were dropped off by a public entrance way close to the Intercontinental hotel. It wasn't like Orient Beach per se. Its just a beach that has hotels and condos on it, and behind the beach there is a road that runs parallel to the beach that has restaurants and bars on it. We we were able to rent chairs and umbrellas from a woman who was sitting near the entrance. I don't remember the price, but they were reasonable. The water was warm, shallow, calm, and a beautiful color. I stayed in most of the time we spent there. The only time I got out was to walk to one of the bars behind the beach to get a couple daiquiris. If you get dropped off in the same place, I remember getting drinks from the place on the corner. They were $7 and in plastic cups. For $9 you could get them in coconuts. We packed up and had lunch at one of the restaurants and it was delicious. Prior to leaving our taxi we asked the driver to return for us at a designated time. He showed up right on time and dropped off right near the ship. It was a great day!

If you have any questions just let me know! I know I already wrote a lot, but I saw no one has commented back so I tried to give you a longer overview of our day. :)

Nothing that looks like Orient but there are some nice beaches usually with big waves.

The previous suggestion is good but you might also want to think of Condado beach (closer to port). You can get a taxi for about $16 (for the 4 of you), or take a local bus for .75 cents each from the bus terminal (a short walk from the cruise port).

At the corner of Condado Blvd and Ashford (the street with all the shops and restaurants) there is a Wallgreen's where you can stock up on beach needs. There is a vendor renting chairs and umbrellas where Condado meets the beach. We used bathrooms in Burger King when we got a coffee.

This is more a city beach but still loads of fun.

Edited by monicajay

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi,

My husband and Myself and our kids (21 & 16) will be there from 8-5, we've done tours before this time we are using it as a beach day any recommendations? Any beaches like Orient in St. Maarten? with beach bars and shopping?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Would you consider up to a maximum of 1 hour in a taxi.

If so, then Palomino Island could be a good selection.

Contact the concierge at the El Conquistador Hotel and book a day pass via the Hotel. The day fee will also cover the ferry to Palomino.

Last time think it was only around $130.00 for all 4 of us.

The Hotel Concierge at El C will assist you in every aspect.

Link to the Island

http://caribbeantrading.com/take-day...lomino-island/

Link to Hotel

http://www.elconresort.com