Just off the Summit- comments and small issues

spunke

This was our 4th cruise on the Summit and 9th Celebrity overall. We typically love Celebrity and cruise with them when we can. We have also enjoyed Princess, RCCL and NCL as well.

This time we decided to forgo the concierge class and get a Deluxe 2A cabin with a deeper veranda (7177) the Veranda was at least 2' deeper then 7200 last year. While we did have a great veranda the cabin itself was a bit smaller - celebrity says 20sf and you really feel the difference. While we were prepared for this we weren't prepared for the scaled down room service menu for breakfast. We abhor the breakfast buffet and all the crowds and have always enjoyed the hot room service breakfast on the veranda. Well- Celebrity has certainly changed what you can and can't order if you are not in a concierge cabin. The choices are very limited and I am not speaking about the higher level items but the basic breakfast items that most people choose. The egg options are processed scrambled eggs or plain omelet?? Who eats a plain omelet ? no pancakes or french toast and many other things like fried eggs are missing as well?? I really don't think it would take Celebrity all that more cost or time to add back a few normal items to round out the menu. I think it is a case of "class status" - I realize that they want to make more money on a C1-3 cabin or a Aqua class cabins but this is a bit crazy. To my knowledge - you can order a full hot breakfast on both Hal. and Princess(we did last time while on)? Please feel free to correct me those who know better. What I can say is that I remember a time that Celebrity would spoil you with service and kindness no mater what stateroom you are in- Those days are gone. I still like Celebrity and we had a great time on our trip. However, I do think that this is a situation that really warrants some change on their behalf. I think it is fine to offer upgraded items to Suite and Aqua class but normal menu items should be available to everyone. One other issue is way they restrict some of the bars for the higher cabins?? Michael's Club- one of the best bars on the ship could only be used for Suite cabins?? It was not that way last year (Jan 2014 cruise) and had some great talented singers set up there throughout the night. Again- I really think this is a mistake and was never the way Celebrity built their following in the past. Those of you who might agree with me might want to speak up as well.

We had a C1 on our Dec cruise. I didn't enjoy the breakfast room service as I used to. We've had a C1 on Summit 3x and a corner FV once.

Lox was always on the CC menu but now it's not. They have as part of a dish that is extra. We had to write it in every morning to have with our bagels. We did get it and they never charged us. Omelettes are now plain or just with cheese.

We can echo some of the same.

We didn't bother writing anything in so I don't know if they would have made it or not. The pastries were boring.

Our first 2 cruises we never went to the buffet for breakfast. Our last 2 cruises we went quite a bit. Only did we have it delivered if we had an excursion scheduled first thing. The quality has gone down on the room service we thought too. Some of the reason we like the aft was to have breakfast every morning on the large balcony with a full sized table. Quite enjoyable. Atleast it was.

DH misses Michaels as well. Our last 2 cruises have been for Suites. It always seems empty there now.

We still love the Summit for its size, less crowded feel and ease of getting around. Their Southern itineraries are our favorite as well. While we still enjoy the Summit, our first few cruises were more enjoyable.

While the usual array of hot breakfast items isn't listed on the hang tag menu, you can order these by writing them in or calling room service the night before to place your order. For example, eggs are not really limited to scrambled or a plain omelet even though those are the only things listed on the hang tag menu. I think the only items on the Concierge class menu that are not available are the smoothies and some items marked as Concierge class specials.

If you are ever unsure of this call room service and ask before putting out the hang tag menu the night before.

By the way, it's been like this ever since we started sailing Celebrity around 10 years ago as far as what's listed on the hang tag menus vs. what is available for the asking.

Edited by Lsimon

Good points all

My wife and I passed Michael's club many times and it was empty as well! They didn't even put the OSU/Oregon game on the the TV in the bar? Crazy under utilization

Lsimon- Can't speak to the Deluxe cabins in the past because we were in C2-3 that last 3 times on the Summit- What I can tell you is that the menus are vastly different from 2A to C3. We did call and request the different menu and were told "we didn't pay to have that menu" Like I mentioned -we didn't want the smoothies or eggs with asparagus - just normal items like make your own omelet , fired eggs to order, pancakes, french toast, multi grain toast etc are All on the C3 menu and are Not on the Deluxe veranda menu. The menu number for the Deluxe veranda end in "27" and the C3 end in "28". If at all possible you would want the 28 menu. They did end up bring it to us for the last few nights after we requested. I never thought of writing it in- that is a good idea.

I think the bigger issue I have is what i mentioned- these items are not high society breakfast items that we couldn't order in the past? My wife and I order made to order omelets to our inside cabin on the Galaxy several years back. I really think had Celebrity conducted business like this in the past they would not have earned our patronage like they have. I think these crazy delineation are a mistake. Again, Suite guest and Aqua class can have better amenities and special dinning areas but lets have a base of "Modern Luxury" offered to all guests. At least thats my thoughts

Could someone perhaps explain whether Michael's and Michael's Club are the same thing? I know that one of the things that my husband is very much looking forward to drinking craft beer, but I'm becoming a little bit concerned at all this talk about "for suites only." If he can no longer go enjoy the 50 beers or whatever I'd like to know ahead of time so I can let him down gently instead of him becoming upset on the ship... :(

Yes - Michael's club is the bar with all the great craft beers- not sure if you could still order them in another bar?

Thank you for the Princess comment- it has been 10 years since we have been on Princess- were looking at them for next year.

Good points all

My wife and I passed Michael's club many times and it was empty as well! They didn't even put the OSU/Oregon game on the the TV in the bar? Crazy under utilization

Lsimon- Can't speak to the Deluxe cabins in the past because we were in C2-3 that last 3 times on the Summit- What I can tell you is that the menus are vastly different from 2A to C3. We did call and request the different menu and were told "we didn't pay to have that menu" Like I mentioned -we didn't want the smoothies or eggs with asparagus - just normal items like make your own omelet , fired eggs to order, pancakes, french toast, multi grain toast etc are All on the C3 menu and are Not on the Deluxe veranda menu. The menu number for the Deluxe veranda end in "27" and the C3 end in "28". If at all possible you would want the 28 menu. They did end up bring it to us for the last few nights after we requested. I never thought of writing it in- that is a good idea....

They won't provide the CC menu in a non-CC cabin. But you can still order the basic hot items, as well as basic cold items not listed, by writing them in or phone order (and I believe you can phone the order in the night before).

Could someone perhaps explain whether Michael's and Michael's Club are the same thing? I know that one of the things that my husband is very much looking forward to drinking craft beer, but I'm becoming a little bit concerned at all this talk about "for suites only." If he can no longer go enjoy the 50 beers or whatever I'd like to know ahead of time so I can let him down gently instead of him becoming upset on the ship... :(

They are the same thing. These have all been converted to a special concierge room for the upper level suites and top "Zenith" level Captain's Club members. But I have heard the craft beers have been moved to another lounge on the ships such as Cellarmasters.

They won't provide the CC menu in a non-CC cabin. But you can still order the basic hot items, as well as basic cold items not listed, by writing them in or phone order (and I believe you can phone the order in the night before).

They are the same thing. These have all been converted to a special concierge room for the upper level suites and top "Zenith" level Captain's Club members. But I have heard the craft beers have been moved to another lounge on the ships such as Cellarmasters.

Wow. It's been only a couple of years since our last cruise and some of these changes are really stunning. Thank you for the quick answer though :)

Michael's club is indeed for Celebrity Suites, Royal and Penthouse suites on the Summit (M Class) not sure of other suites on the S Class. Now the larger pick of beers is in Master Cellars. A list of beers is available on the Celebrity web site.

Thanks for sharing this information.