Cheapest way to manage money on the cruise

Could anyone tell me what is the best way to manage cash on board and ashore? We are going on a Celebrity Cruise around the South China Seas. Is it best to have a pre-paid card (in dollars), cash or use a credit/debit card. Is a mixture best?

You do know all onboard purchases are charged to your room, right?

Agreed, along with excursions....

Some cruises will show your expenses on the TV screen, otherwise get a Guest Services print out every few days.... those drinks can quickly add up.

plan ahead! I create envelopes and put the cash in to cover each envelope (soda cards, excursions, tips...). once onboard I deposit all of that cash so its done. its so easy to manage this way. I always have an envelope for "emergency" and "other". these are kept in my safe until needed.

I use 2 debit cards for ATM and 3 credit cards that are 2 Visa and 1 MasterCard. Always tell all the issuing banks of your travel plans. We also carry cash $300 or so in small bills for each. All expenses on the ship are placed on the credit card on file. It is a good idea to get a copy of your ship account about mid cruise and 3 days before the end (last day is chaotic at the front desk -- AVOID it if possible). These checks help you notice if you are running up a bill that shocks you. All 3 of my credit cards have high limits so that if I had emergency overseas (had to buy airline tickets home walk up price or pay for hospital/medical care). Now that TSA makes carrying cash in under the clothes neck or belt banks less an option (money/papers go through x-ray and sit at end of x-ray until I get through the scanner or check or whatever they decide that day :rolleyes:) I often wear a travel vest with money and documents scattered among many pockets.

plan ahead! I create envelopes and put the cash in to cover each envelope (soda cards, excursions, tips...). once onboard I deposit all of that cash so its done. its so easy to manage this way. I always have an envelope for "emergency" and "other". these are kept in my safe until needed.

I also do envelopes. I am a big planner so I know which ports will cost me more or less and plan accordingly. I have an envelope for each day and at the end of the day any money left over goes into the next day's envelope.

Many thanks to everyone for taking time to give their suggestions. Although new to cruising I was aware that onboard purchases are logged into an account. I just wondered if there were extra occasions when money would be required. I think I have answered my own query i.e. a mixture of payment options is probably best. And I shall most certainly keep an eye on that onboard account! Thanks again.