Same Old 10 Day Itinerary

cjmayes51

My wife and I are hooked on the 10 day cruise, and we usually go every other year{Disney on the even years} but it's seems more and more that cruise lines stick with the same island stops year after year. Just booked the 4/13/07 Constellation 10 day Southern itinerary, but we recently did the same islands on the Summit as this was our only choice since we didn't much care for the Mexican Riveria. I believe this is the only 10 day itinerary the Celebrity has had for years in the Caribbean. We've been on RCCL and Princess many times but love the service and feel of this Celebrity class ship. Other lines are starting to go to the Turks and BVI but Celebrity seems to love St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts and St Thomas. Will they ever vary this or will I have to move to another line to see some new islands

My wife and I are hooked on the 10 day cruise, and we usually go every other year{Disney on the even years} but it's seems more and more that cruise lines stick with the same island stops year after year. Just booked the 4/13/07 Constellation 10 day Southern itinerary, but we recently did the same islands on the Summit as this was our only choice since we didn't much care for the Mexican Riveria. I believe this is the only 10 day itinerary the Celebrity has had for years in the Caribbean. We've been on RCCL and Princess many times but love the service and feel of this Celebrity class ship. Other lines are starting to go to the Turks and BVI but Celebrity seems to love St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts and St Thomas. Will they ever vary this or will I have to move to another line to see some new islands

We like to book ahead, but you sure have us beat! I am not sure if you are locked into a specific date range or cruise length, but we are looking forward to trying Oceania.

We are booked on the 12 night cruise departing 2/14/06 and really liked the itinerary. While it might have some ports you have visited before, the only duplication fo us is St. Lucia. A small ship experience, very limited smoking, a reputation for excellent cuisine and service, no formal nights, and a great price made it irresistible.

Thanks for the info Mike, I recently changed jobs and went from 5 weeks vacation a year to 3 weeks, so longer cruises are limited + a new Grandchild here in NC and a son who just moved to NYC takes up the rest of our vacation time. Heard some great things about Oceania, I'll need to take a long look.

The Zenith is doing 10 day cruises from Tampa in 2007 and the Galaxy is doing 10 day sailings from San Juan in 2006.

The options for 2007 are a lot better that what can be seen for 2006.

I love the looks of what the Galaxy is offering.

As to some of the other ports you list, there are several reasons as to why X may not be going there.

The ports can only handle a limited number of ships per day, that's not only docks, but infrastructure. Not every islands can handle the addition of 10,000 people to their islands. They don't have the roads or vehicles or tours to handle huge numbers of people.

It could be a matter of the ports charging to high of port fees or the ports themselves limiting the number of ship to their country.

We were on a cruise that was originally scheduled to go to Belize. But Belize limits the number of people it allows per day from the cruise ship and the invitation to the Galaxy was revoked in favor of a ship that would be there every week as opposed to every 11 or 12 days.

With figuring out itineraries for ships, it not just a matter of hey let's put the Millennium on this island. No, there is a lot of negotiation and promises that go on between the company and the islands.

Celebrity tries to shake things up once in a while, but there are only a limited number of ports that can handle the high volume of passengers that the cruise lines carry.

The ports can only handle a limited number of ships per day, that's not only docks, but infrastructure. Not every islands can handle the addition of 10,000 people to their islands. They don't have the roads or vehicles or tours to handle huge numbers of people.

I completely agree.. Last year we visited Grand Cayman on Zuiderdam( HAL 85K tons) at the same time Caribbean Princess (110K), RCCL Navigator (140K) and Carnival Triumph (101K) were parked there. Our island guide said very honestly that with all need for business they would be much happier with only 2 big ships every day. On day like this it's very difficult for island people do any kind of shopping and even commuting etc. But... that was during the summer, when almost all ships of at least Celebrity and HAL are in Europe and Alaska. I can't imagine how this port looks during winter.:eek:

(Well, we'll be sailing to Cozumel during Thanksgiving and I noticed 8 or 9 ships will be there on the same day!:( )

Thanks for the info Mike, I recently changed jobs and went from 5 weeks vacation a year to 3 weeks, so longer cruises are limited + a new Grandchild here in NC and a son who just moved to NYC takes up the rest of our vacation time. Heard some great things about Oceania, I'll need to take a long look.

I understand the demands on your time. I changed jobs at the end of last year, so I appreciate the challenges that can present.

Another source of different itineraries might be Windstar or even Star Clippers. I am sure you will find the right cruise.

One of the reasons we like the Friday to Monday 10 day cruises is you are usually a day or two ahead of the 7 day cruises that leave on Sat or Sun. Many times you are in a port with one other ship- like the last two times we were in Cozumel, on a Saturday, there was just 1 other ship in port. On the Summit in Nov 2003, I believe every island we stopped there were 2 or 3 ships max in port, crowding wasn't that bad.

I also like the longer (14 days at least cruises, though I realise many people are limited due to work schedules), and I do wish that Celebrity would get different cruises for at least ONE ship.

Have had to go to HAL and Princess in 2006 in order to vary the places. If HAL and Princess can do this why not Celebrity?

• 7 years later...

I have been having the same problem. Letters to the cruise line from lot of cruisers might get them to change. Going on the same ship every cruise is also boring as the shows change every 5 years or so. I forwarded the suggestion the rotate ships in the areas to give repeat clients variety and some additional incentive. Got a reply back Umm?

I have been having the same problem. Letters to the cruise line from lot of cruisers might get them to change. Going on the same ship every cruise is also boring as the shows change every 5 years or so. I forwarded the suggestion the rotate ships in the areas to give repeat clients variety and some additional incentive. Got a reply back Umm?

Well some things change and some don't. The thread you posted from is eight years old. Celebrity no longer runs a 10 day southern Caribbean itinerary which was the subject of the original posting. That itinerary on the Connie in 2005 ran from San Juan down to Aruba and back. The closest itinerary these days is the Eclipse's 14 night itinerary which is very similar but sails from Florida so it requires an extra two days on each end for getting to and from the Caribbean.

Both the 10/11 day from San Juan (now discontinued on Celebrity) and the similar 14 night Caribbean itinerary are among my favorites!

CathyCruises, I am sooooooooo sorry for blaming you!! Totally apologize!!! I was too hasty looking below my space to post an answer at the previous commenters to see who resurrected this thread!!!

"st3drume" is the one to whom I should have directed my comment!!!

Archived