Traveling with sons friend

vbecky

wondering if there is anything I need to have with me if I am taking my son's 16year old friend with us on a cruise? Should I have the mom sign anything ahead of time? Also if cruising out of and back to Galveston can he go with a birth certificate or should he have a passport? Thanks in advance

wondering if there is anything I need to have with me if I am taking my son's 16year old friend with us on a cruise? Should I have the mom sign anything ahead of time? Also if cruising out of and back to Galveston can he go with a birth certificate or should he have a passport? Thanks in advance

Yes, we have to take a letter signed by the mother(I got mine notarized), birth certificate, and school ID.

Date

To: Department of Homeland Security / Carnival

I, (parents name) authorize my minor child (child name) to travel to Cozumel, Mexico on (date), 2015 on Carnival Cruise Ship with (your name) & (my hubbys name). Their expected date of return is (date) . In, addition I authorize (your name) to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Parent: Date:

Address:

Telephone:

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _________ day of ____________________

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Someone said school ID. The official verbiage from Carnival is a Government issued photo ID. I know many have said school ID works but one of these days they will start enforcing their own rules. Why take the chance. A quick trip to the drivers license office will get a State ID.

A passport card might also be a good option. We got those for our kids, much less expensive than a passport book and it has their picture on it. The port agents just scanned the cards and we were on our way. Easy peasy.

A passport would be the best option. It's not required but it makes things a lot easier. I went on a cruise when I was 17 with my friend and her family without needing a letter from my dad, (but in Texas 17 year olds are considered adults in some cases so it wasn't a big deal) To cover any bases in the event something happens a letter from the parents would be best to have.

Be sure you have a notarized letter signed by his parents. I use this letter from Sea U Onboard.com. Date: __________

We, ____________________________& ____________________________, authorize our minor child, _________________________________________,

to travel with __________________ _________________________ out of the United States on the cruise ship Carnival ___________________________ on ________________ visiting (but not limited to) _________________________ _____________________________and ______________________________. Expected date of return: _______________________.

In addition, I authorize consent to, ____________________________, for any necessary routine or emergency treatment during aforementioned trip.

Signed: ________________________________________

Signed: ________________________________________

Address: ________________________________________

Phone: ________________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _________ day of ____________________

Notary Public Signature and Seal

He will only need his birth certificate. However, should you miss the ship you will be in a mess without a passport.

Someone said school ID. The official verbiage from Carnival is a Government issued photo ID. I know many have said school ID works but one of these days they will start enforcing their own rules. Why take the chance. A quick trip to the drivers license office will get a State ID.

Public schools are generally government entities. Homeland Security and Carnival are not waiving the rule, they are merely accepting a type of government ID issued by a school.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

So you are not confused...here is the copy/paste right off of Carnival, and also the rules I have followed when I take my niece or someone who is not my child.

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

When minors (under 18) are NOT traveling with a parent or legal guardian, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking (ending their cruise) with children in Mexico.

Have a great time!

Public schools are generally government entities. Homeland Security and Carnival are not waiving the rule, they are merely accepting a type of government ID issued by a school.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I understand where you are coming from but my daughters go to private school. Yes, they have picture ID's but they are not government issued. So you are correct in your statement that Carnival and HS are accepting a type of government ID. But not all school ID will meet the criteria. Hence my comment that one issued from the drivers license would be easy and ensure to meet the needs of the cruiser.

• 1 month later...

We have been traveling with my daughters best friend for 4 years now and I always have the notorized letter with medical veribage and her passport. I have been asked for the letter 2x and the other two didnt even ask - BUT it is better to be prepared as you never know and I would hate to have to deal with that mess at the port.

I have attached the letter we have notorized by the father as he has sole custody and I do have a copy of his divorce decree stating that he has sole custody (it was asked for the 2x at the port).

Hope that helps..

Tammi

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAL CONSENT Template.doc

Do you know do both parents need to sign for traveling with 16 year old?

Probably best to get approval from both parents. Wouldn't want the other parent to accuse you of child abduction. Especially if you know that there are custody issues going on between the parents, the other parent might be looking for any excuse for gaining custody rights.

To get US Passports for children of certain age ranges both parents have to sign off. A 16 year old might only need one parent to sign though. Look it up on the State department website.