Alone? It can't be!!

rumple

The original message in this thread wondered why so few were posting aboutthe same trip. If it were not for a fractured arm last fall, and a lot of time to do some one handed computer searches, I would not even know that this board and other cruise message boards existed. Unfortunately I also discovered the home shopping channels on tv -- I was vaguely aware that they existed but now I check them out every day and have ordered a number of items.

My sigoth (new abbreviation for significant other) and I are on the Statendaam leaving Auckland on January 21. At this date, very few of us have posted, but I've always met wonderful people on cruises and have made some very dear friends. We have also always enjoyed the company of our tablemates.

sail7seas,

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, yahoo (and, I believe, now Google) provides free email accounts. You can set up a public email that you can safely give out on this board. To check that account you just go to yahoo, sign in, and any email that may have been sent to you will be listed in your browser. You don't have to read any or all of it, nor do you have to worry about any of it clogging up your Outlook Express -- or whatever you use for email access. Select the emails you want to read, read them, copy them to your computer if you want to save them, then select the rest (if any) to delete WITHOUT READING. Then, if/when the purpose for having the public email address is completed, you can close the account.

Simple

Easy

Free

You don't have to receive emails from anyone you don't like or don't want to talk to.

As for me ... I've been a public person on the internet since 1992. My profession makes it necessary for me to be public. Anyone can contact me at any time via several forms of email, or they can go to my church's website and find my church phone and fax numbers and call me direct. I sometimes get crank-email ... mail from people I can stand and don't want to talk to. Sometimes these emails can make for a chuckle, and I've been known to forward some of the more -- ah, uhm -- wild ones to friends and family for their humor at others expense. As for the rest of the unwanted email ... ah ... the joys of clicking "select-all/delete"!! :D And, yes, webots have picked up my email address and I get a lot of junk mail as a result. Or ... rather ... I USED to get a lot of junk mail until I turned on email filters. Now the junk is just a trickle.

If either of us wished to post our e-mail addresses than it is easy to communicate and set up how to meet.

It is harder when neither wishes to post an e-mail address on a public forum.

I'm one who will never post our e-mail address or cabin No's..However have investigated this for future use..

As idog suggested, you can set up a special e-mail address on Hotmail or Yahoo which is only for those who are on your Roll call...When you finally meet you can then decide if you want to give them your last name &/or regular e-mail address..Have met some wonderful CC members on our last two cruises & still keep in touch with several of them..

Also believe the best time to arrange your meet & greet is on the first sea day either after breakfast or in the afternoon just before cocktail hour..

Happy planning everyone..:)

Our roll call group last May was very lively and some of the members gave out their cabin numbers, e-mail addresses, last names, etc.

Others chose not to.

I met some people on the cruise who admitted to lurking on our roll call and knowing all about us ... I found that a little strange. Why did they want to know all about us, yet they did not want to join in the roll call?

Our group did meet after muster drill and it was a good time for most of us. After all, the next morning was HMC, and a lot of people leave the ship early. I did not feel stressed at all -- we boarded the ship before noon, and we were already unpacked and relaxed!

I have a Yahoo address I use for CC-related posts. If I were to get an e-mail that I did not want, I'd delete it without opening it, and I would block that address.

Suggestion to S7S: You can always use an intermediary to connect you. If one of your CC friends posts his/her e-mail on CC, then you can use that person to connect you to the other cruiser. [if your friend is agreeable. ] :)

Great idea and I have such an account at Hotmail.

Sails7seas@hotmail.com (note the "s" at the end of 'sail')

I have not posted here because I have a hard time accessing hotmail quite often for some odd reason.

Many times when I go to check the account, I reach sign in fine but never get connected to my account. Other times I reach it without difficulty. (sort of like this board lately :( ) If someone wrote me there and did not receive a response they would think poorly of me and would not know I could not read their mail and didn't know it was there. Also, because of this difficulty, I've gotten out of the habit of trying to check it often as it's only a 50% chance I'd get to it.

The BEST (IMO) would be if this Board offered private mail here as another Cruise Website does. At that site, you can set up to receive e-mail at that site.

That would be terrific if they could do that here.

(Not to say I do not appreciate all that we get here for free as I most assuredly am appreciative.)

Maybe I should forget about the Hotmail and open a Yahoo.

Thanks everyone for your help. Good suggestions.

Of course, right now it is not very pertinent, as "the2ofus" doesn't seem to be here lately. (Maybe having trouble getting in here as I had a terrible time yesterday reaching the Board.)

I'd like to meet '2 of us' and hope to hear about making plans.

I find Yahoo e-mail a lot more user-friendly than Hotmail. I had a Hotmail account that was closed b/c I did not access it enough.

Maybe you can get a Yahoo account with your name spelled the way you want it!

I agree, it would ideal if we could get free e-mail through CC. However, you'd still end up with *unwanted* mail that way. :(

A number of message boards I visit offer private e-mail you can send to fellow posters.

We did a quick meeting at sailaway last year -- sort of a non-event, if you ask me.

Don't want to publish your name? Open a hotmail or yahoo mail account. They're free. If you get emails from somebody you don't like, put a block on them. We have a Yahoo account and they get rid of all the sex-spam before it even hits the server, and maybe one or two regular ones slip by in a week. Yahoo even has a one-click option to notify them it's spam!

Lane

Here's mine down here, but if you email me and I don't want to hear from you again I'll just block you. It's no Real Big Deal.:)

Of course, right now it is not very pertinent, as "the2ofus" doesn't seem to be here lately. (Maybe having trouble getting in here as I had a terrible time yesterday reaching the Board.)

I'd like to meet '2 of us' and hope to hear about making plans.

Sail, if you need 2ofus 's email I can give that to you ... just email me off the board ... that is, unless I'm one of the one's you don't want email from! ;)

DrGNeal@aol.com

I use this screen name the most when dealing with people Group issues, CC, and other related boards.

Thank you, Rev. :) You may recall I have written you before so .... No, you are not one of 'them'.

And, I took your wise advise and now have a new Yahoo e-mail.

Anyone who wishes to reach me is free to do so at: sail7seas7 @ yahoo.com

Of course, I have to remember to check to see if there is any mail. :)

Archived