USS Arizona Memorial Questions

Jaddy

We arrive Honolulu via Grand Princess. Disembarkation is scheduled to start at 7am. I just went online and booked 2 tickets for the Narrated Tour of the USS Arizona Memorial for 8am (that was the only morning time slot still available). My park service confirmation says I must pick up our tickets one hour prior to the start of the tour otherwise they will be reissued. It's going to be impossible to get off the ship and get to the Memorial by 7am. So do we forfeit our tickets or is there a grace period for those holding early tickets? If there is some informal grace period, what do you think would be the latest we could arrive?

Assuming we can get in, how difficult is it to buy tickets at the Memorial for a visit to the Battleship Missouri?

Lastly, if we get admitted to the Memorial I assume it will be a long day of touring and that we will return to the ship afterward for showers and perhaps a nap. Is there a good restaurant with nice view and good food within walking distance from the ship? Our ship doesn't leave until 11pm.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Having done both the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri last March, I can say with a high degree of probability that you CANNOT do an Arizona memorial visit on your time frame. For the memorial visit, you must first pick up your pre-reserved tickets, then line up for admission to the theatre area, after which you will board the navy-run shuttle boat out to the memorial, visit the memorial and then shuttle back to the visitor center. I think that you would have better luck with planning your Arizona Memorial and Missouri tour via an organized ship's excursion or a private tour company, strictly because of the timing involved.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

Having done both the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri last March, I can say with a high degree of probability that you CANNOT do an Arizona memorial visit on your time frame. For the memorial visit, you must first pick up your pre-reserved tickets, then line up for admission to the theatre area, after which you will board the navy-run shuttle boat out to the memorial, visit the memorial and then shuttle back to the visitor center. I think that you would have better luck with planning your Arizona Memorial and Missouri tour via an organized ship's excursion or a private tour company, strictly because of the timing involved.

...VTX-Al

Thanks for the response VTX-AL, but I don't understand this. If we get off the ship at 7am and take a taxi to the Memorial, don't you think we would have enough time to stand in the lines you mention and then see all the stuff that should be seen? Our ship doesn't leave until 11pm. I thought the the biggest issue with my plan was whether the park service people would hold on to our prearranged tickets long enough for us to get there. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Thanks for the response VTX-AL, but I don't understand this. If we get off the ship at 7am and take a taxi to the Memorial, don't you think we would have enough time to stand in the lines you mention and then see all the stuff that should be seen? Our ship doesn't leave until 11pm. I thought the the biggest issue with my plan was whether the park service people would hold on to our prearranged tickets long enough for us to get there. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Well, it might be doable, if you get lucky, but as I remember it, if the purchased-in-advance tickets are not picked up by the deadline, they are then released for general walk up sale. Guess it would depend on how big the demand is that particular day. I think it would be worth a phone call to the Visitor Center ticket office, explaining the situation.

The ticket office kiosk for the Missouri tours is at the same location as the memorial tours. Those tickets can be purchased on line as well, and for scheduled times. The "Heart of Missouri" tour will require the most time as it is a guided stem to stern and keel to bridge tour. Access to Ford Island is via shuttle bus only. We actually did the Visitor Center, Arizona memorial and Bowfin sub in one day and the Heart of the Missouri, Ford Island tour the next day (were not on a cruise that Hawaiian visit) Good luck

P.S. we are cruising back to Hawaii as well March 22 Vancouver/Hawaii round trip - same cruise as you , perhaps ??

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

Honolulu traffic is horrendous... especially in the morning when everyone is trying to get to work. That's going to be a bigger issue. IMHO - You're better off arranging a tour through one of the local operators.

Edited by azappraiser

You are making unrealistic assumptions. Sorry, but the times are fixed to get on the Arizona, with the tickets, and no, there aren't any "grace" options. You aren't in line to get on the tour issued you won't be going. These tours are FULL every day, with only so many seats available in the theater and on the water taxi.

As mentioned above, the traffic is also significant, with plenty of people going to be lined up waiting to get off the ship. I highly doubt you are even going to get there by 8am, which will be too late to get to the Arizona. They aren't going to make exceptions for you.