Skiathos, Hydra, Thessaloniki

JVNYC

Hello everyone! I am looking at future itineraries on Azamara and see that they have some very interesting ports in Greece....some I have never been to and am curious about.

Has anyone has been to Skiathos, Thessaloniki or Hydra?

Would be happy to hear your reviews and thoughts if these are worthwhile ports to consider.

Thanks!

Joe

I was on a cruise last October with scheduled stops at Thessaloniki and Skiathos.

Unfortunately, due to rough weather, we were not able to make the call at Skiathos, a tender port. From researching ahead of time, it seems this is mainly a pleasant beach town, scenic, fun to walk around and/or go to a beach. There's a castle at the top of a hill and a monastery that some tours visit -- I don't think you can get to these on foot.

Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece and it has a lot going for it as a port stop. We went via cab and on foot to explore the city on our own in the morning, as neither of the two offered tours covered all the things we wanted. We took a taxi to and visited the excellent archaeological museum first. Then we walked along the ruins of the palace of Galerius (yes, this was one of the seats of the emperors of Rome during the period when they divided it up amongs four rulers) until reaching the large well-preserved Arch of Galerius. This is positioned next to a very busy road that has survived more than 2,000 years -- it was originally a major Roman road, the Via Egnatia. Just past the Arch is a well-preserved building called the Rotunda which was likely intended to be the mausoleum of emperor Galerius but later became a church -- it has some lovely, early mosaics.

After this, back to the ship. After lunch, we took an (included) excursion to Vergina to see the Macedonian tombs and the artifacts discovered there. One of the tombs likely belonged to the father of Alexander the Great. The gold is incredible! (But photos are not allowed.)

All in all, a fascinating and full day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i am greek ive been to almost all of our islands..the two islands that i love are skiathos and santorini!!!skiathos because of magnificent beaches especially koukounaries beach and santorini because you know its santorini sth unique that you can not find anywhere else in the world