What age is considered a minor?

Brinchi

If at least one person in the cabin is 21, why would you need a letter? Royal policy is under 21 must be accompanied by someone at least 21. According to Royal's consent form, a minor is a child under 18 & would require the parent (if not traveling too) to complete the form & have it notorized. We've done notorized letters before knowing they had a form.

I understand that not all check in agents are consistent, but it doesn't mean they were right. What if a 23 yr old & 20 yr old wanted to cruise? Would the 20 yr old need their parent's permission to travel? Of course not. The agent was mistaken.

See section "Voyages originating in North America".

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333

Traveling with a minor

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2702&faqSubjectId=322

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

If at least one person in the cabin is 21, why would you need a letter? Royal policy is under 21 must be accompanied by someone at least 21. According to Royal's consent form, a minor is a child under 18 & would require the parent (if not traveling too) to complete the form & have it notorized. We've done notorized letters before knowing they had a form.]

Where do you find the consent form?

Actually, my TA told me it could not be done, so I called RCL. They said we could do it, if they were close to my cabin. So, my TA booked them directly across from me. I'm a better safe than sorry girl and will have the notarized letters from their parents in hand, though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. TA said no - RCI said yes. And I was booked incorrectly. BUT THEN - RCI actually called me to tell me it was booked wrong and that they needed to change it or we would not be allowed to board! So we ended up with the non related travelers (under 21) in the rooms with me and my husband and then our own kids were right next door to my husband (on either side). Of course we switched rooms once on board - no problems there!

and yet if they are under 25, you cant rent a car either...18 is an adult..

With most companies, you CAN rent a car under age 25, there is just a hefty surcharge.

My son and his wife were 23 & 24 on their honeymoon. At first he thought he'd have to pay extra to rent a car, but then discovered that USAA, with whom he has his insurance, has a program to waive that extra charge for 21-24 year olds.

I traveled on Oasis on Jan 3, with a 19 year old, who was family friend, and they did not asked for the letter. However, sailing from San Juan do require the letter since the legal age there is 21

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told today that if you are traveling with a minor under 21 and their parents are not on board the ship, they must be in a cabin with an adult over 25. I have kids spread out with parents over 4 rooms, all on one hall very close together. (They are all over 18) My question is, how do you switch once on board since your card has your room key on it but it's also tied to your account and your picture pops up when getting on and off ship. Will guest services actually change it or do you constantly swap cards around?

I would use the card issued to me to make purchases and entry on/off boat. We would then get a 2nd set of keys for each room so we can get in the room we are staying in.

I have to reserve one room with me and my 20yr old. My husband in the other room with 19ye old. Once on board, with 2nd key, my husband will have access to my room and my son will have access to room sharing with friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told today that if you are traveling with a minor under 21 and their parents are not on board the ship, they must be in a cabin with an adult over 25. I have kids spread out with parents over 4 rooms, all on one hall very close together. (They are all over 18) My question is, how do you switch once on board since your card has your room key on it but it's also tied to your account and your picture pops up when getting on and off ship. Will guest services actually change it or do you constantly swap cards around?

We had 4 cabins and moved everyone around once on board. Easiest thing to do is to just go to guest services and get extra keys. They will give you as many as you need. Then you have your sail pass for charging and getting on and off the ship, (for id) and the extra key is just for the room. I used a sharpie to write on the keys so they knew which key got into what room. (we used a code - we did not write the room number). It worked great - not one problem!

I stressed about it in advance - but no worries you will be fine. We even had different room stewards for the 4 rooms, and we just let them know on the first day what was up and they were just fine with it.

If you really want to think ahead - I was able to get at least ONE person booked in each cabin they would actually be in once onboard. Worked even better! You can do it - good luck!

We have a more complicated issue. My friend and I are in a Grand Suite, with the 18 and 19 year olds directly across the hall. Neither of us want to give up our suite perks to one of the minors. :mad:

Patty - just get extra keys made once onboard at guest services. Let the room stewards know - you will be fine!

and yet if they are under 25, you cant rent a car either...18 is an adult..

That's a company policy, not a law. Just like RC could allow 18 year olds to drink outside of territorial waters, as they do for european cruises, but the company policy is not to.

Post #2 was correct, with some additional assistance from Post #3. Congrats to both of you.

I'm imagining everyone insisting that 18 isn't an adult is a helicopter parent. I would know because I'm a college professor. I'm tired of arguing with parents. (I'm legally not allowed to discuss anything about your son/daughter with you. Yes, I understand that you pay the bills. Yes, I understand that they still live with you. Yes, I understand that the came home from my class in tears the other day. I STILL can't discuss anything with you.) :D

• 1 month later...
We had 4 cabins and moved everyone around once on board. Easiest thing to do is to just go to guest services and get extra keys. They will give you as many as you need. Then you have your sail pass for charging and getting on and off the ship, (for id) and the extra key is just for the room. I used a sharpie to write on the keys so they knew which key got into what room. (we used a code - we did not write the room number). It worked great - not one problem!

I stressed about it in advance - but no worries you will be fine. We even had different room stewards for the 4 rooms, and we just let them know on the first day what was up and they were just fine with it.

If you really want to think ahead - I was able to get at least ONE person booked in each cabin they would actually be in once onboard. Worked even better! You can do it - good luck!

I booked 9 cabins for 9 adults and 10 minors (age 12- 20). So we put 1 adult in each cabin. RCI said I could book minors in their own cabin with parents nearby. My travel agent told me if I did that I would not be able to do their check-in online or anything else online with their reservation. She said it would be a hassle to have to call RCI for all that? Anyone know if that's true. And isn't it a pain to carry to keycards around?

I booked 9 cabins for 9 adults and 10 minors (age 12- 20). So we put 1 adult in each cabin. RCI said I could book minors in their own cabin with parents nearby. My travel agent told me if I did that I would not be able to do their check-in online or anything else online with their reservation. She said it would be a hassle to have to call RCI for all that? Anyone know if that's true. And isn't it a pain to carry to keycards around?

We sailed with our minor (15, 10, 8) kids on Freedom last year. We were originally booked in a balcony (DW & I) and interior across the hall (kids). Because of a price drop, we upgraded the kids to the adjoining balcony. No problems what so ever.

Your TA must be thinking of another line.

The reason travel agents do not having the kids in a separate room is that they have to call Royal to book it. By putting an adult in each room they can do it all on line a lot quicker. Kids must be in a room directly beside or directly across the hall.

Once it is booked all your check in can be done on line. Done it several times.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Your TA must be thinking of another line.

The reason travel agents do not having the kids in a separate room is that they have to call Royal to book it. By putting an adult in each room they can do it all on line a lot quicker. Kids must be in a room directly beside or directly across the hall.

Once it is booked all your check in can be done on line. Done it several times.

Thanks for that reply. Here's the email from my TA when I asked if we could book kids into their own cabin across from us:

"You can book the kids into their own cabins like that. However, then you must call the cruise line for everything which includes your online check in. You will not be able to access the reservation online. We had discussed this a little bit when we had initially spoke."

Will I be able to access their reservation online? I'm going to call TA and review this again.

Thanks for that reply. Here's the email from my TA when I asked if we could book kids into their own cabin across from us:

"You can book the kids into their own cabins like that. However, then you must call the cruise line for everything which includes your online check in. You will not be able to access the reservation online. We had discussed this a little bit when we had initially spoke."

Will I be able to access their reservation online? I'm going to call TA and review this again.

I have booked kids in their own cabin for the last 10 years, yes you do have to call RCI or a TA to do so, but once it is done everything else is normal, you can check in online, sign waivers, order drinks packages, book entertainment etc.

Your TA is mistaken. You can access their reservation on line. Don't let theTA tell you this is a new policy. I just did this 2 months ago and have another cruise booked this way for next December.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Your TA is mistaken. You can access their reservation on line. Don't let theTA tell you this is a new policy. I just did this 2 months ago and have another cruise booked this way for next December.

Thank you, I have a call into my TA right now.

Additionally, when I booked the 9 cabins I put all the deposits on one cc to keep it simple. The next day I found 2 cabins in a better location and called to switch them. TA said no problem, but I would see an additional $1000 charge on my cc which would be refunded. After 2 weeks didn't receive it, I called she said sometimes the cc co. doesn't issue it immediately. I waited another week emailing and calling and received 1 credit of $250. I put in a dispute with my cc co. because I did not want to pay this extra amount on my bill that was due. Called TA again and finally 6 weeks after being charged I received the remaining $750 credit. They were very apologetic and offered me an additional onboard credit. I realize dealing with a large booking of 9 cabins may be challenging, but I feel like I'm doing more work then they are!

Thank you, I have a call into my TA right now.

Additionally, when I booked the 9 cabins I put all the deposits on one cc to keep it simple. The next day I found 2 cabins in a better location and called to switch them. TA said no problem, but I would see an additional $1000 charge on my cc which would be refunded. After 2 weeks didn't receive it, I called she said sometimes the cc co. doesn't issue it immediately. I waited another week emailing and calling and received 1 credit of $250. I put in a dispute with my cc co. because I did not want to pay this extra amount on my bill that was due. Called TA again and finally 6 weeks after being charged I received the remaining $750 credit. They were very apologetic and offered me an additional onboard credit. I realize dealing with a large booking of 9 cabins may be challenging, but I feel like I'm doing more work then they are!

I hope your TA is passing along some special perks for you with such a large group. Sailing with more than 8 cabins gets some different perks. Once you hit 16 guests there is a credit that 1 guest sails free. Try searching tour conductor credit on this forum for more information.