bringing our own shade

kroozbuddy

So in September we brought our own beach umbrella to GSC. Heading to Bermuda in October and wondering about bringing a "pop-up" style sun shade to use both on the beach AND possibly on open decks. Anybody seen or done this before? Is it allowed?

I have brought my own "pop up" style chairs mainly to use on the open decks (DH and I are late risers and lounges are never available). I do not believe it is not allowed the only thing I will caution you about is in Bermuda they are picky about what can be brought on the buses, for instance my DH would not be able to carry on the bus his golf bag and clubs, but a fold flat, pop up style sun shade I don't believe would be a problem. A large beach umbrella most probably would.

ty midnightbuffet, good info. Was looking at something like this. Picnic Time Manta Sun Shelter

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Picnic-Time-Manta-Sun-Shelter/21956115

We did not use it in the ship but we took our Sport-Brella to the Bermuda last Summer to save some $.

We used it at Horseshoe Bay (we took the bus) without any problems.

I saw someone using a Sport-Brella at Snorkel Park (walking distance to the ship) the following day.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-BRE01-210-02-Umbrella-Light-Blue/dp/B00ASHR42C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422038133&sr=8-2&keywords=sunbrella

I've been to many beaches other places where there are rules that umbrellas and such need to be placed a certain distance away from the water so they don't obstruct the view of other beachgoers. I'd hope they have that same rule there.

ty midnightbuffet, good info. Was looking at something like this. Picnic Time Manta Sun Shelter

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Picnic-Time-Manta-Sun-Shelter/21956115

You did notice the one reveiw on this item was horrible, lol. BTW, Umbrellas at Horshoe are under $10 which is reasonable. On the ship whatever you intend to use needs to not blow away (passenger hazard) when someone is not physically sitting and anchoring it down because you do not have the option to anchor it into sand/dirt so it will be a bit challenging finding something to use on deck. If you are on Breakaway they have plenty of umbrellas up at Spice H20 and you do not need to arrive at the crack of dawn, 9:30 to 10:00 AM i'd say you'd still find an available umbrella (no guarantee but I have sailed BA 5 times already and all of them have been over school breaks/holidays at ships full capacity).

we brought this on the bus to Horseshoe Bay no problem and it was easy to carry and set up. We headed way over to the left to some seclusion and enjoyed the day - we did get a few looks of envy and folks asked us where we got it. Saved us in the bright sun.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Road-Trip-Beach-Shade/dp/B0009PUTIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422069291&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+sun+shade

FYI: The one I posted from Amazon does not have a floor part, when (if) you purchase check the details as many are shown with a flooring but do not come with the mat and is a separate purchase.

As for bringing anything ashore, this is true, however if using their transportation, it all depends on the Bus Driver in Bermuda and their willingness or uncooperativeness in letting you take large items onboard. They can turn you away and it is luck of the draw. With that said I never saw them give anyone a hard time (cruised to Bermuda like 6 times in the last couple of years) but I have heard stories from other passengers (just saying).

:)