Transportation Suggestions MCO to Port Canaveral

bobmacliberty

We're flying into Orlando, arriving at 6:08pm on Saturday the day before our cruise leaves out of Port Canaveral. Because we're arriving later in the day and won't be able to do much on Saturday, I'm thinking of staying overnight at one of the airport hotels and then arranging for transportation to the port the next morning. Might even splurge on something more limo-ish (rather than a van) the next morning to start off the cruise in style.

An alternative would be to get transportation (or a rental car to be dropped in Cape Canaveral) for Saturday and stay overnight near the port. It would be kind of late for us drive to the port area and then eat dinner, so we'd probably eat near MCO. The advantage to this approach would be that we'd be 45 minutes closer to the port in the morning.

Any thoughts on which approach you would choose and why? Any recommendations on transportation options? Thanks for any help!

We prefer to rent a car one way - flex for dining/shopping - and stay in the Orlando area; others prefer to stay near the port and have an easy morning. Unless you are solo a one-way rental is likely to be cheaper than a shuttle.

Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Travelynx are the big shared shuttle providers between MCO and PC; Executive VIP is who I would call for private car/limo service.

Thanks JohninDC. I was hoping to avoid the hassle of the rental drop off and then shuttle to the port, but it sounds like it's a pretty easy trip. I'm also traveling with my wife and 2 teenaged daughters, so rental cars and luggage don't always mix well. :D I'll check out the rental pricing as well as the shuttle options that you listed. It would be nice to have a little more flexibility to drive somewhere in Orlando for water, suntan lotion, etc.

There is a La Quinta near MCO within walking distance of stores and dining options and offers free airport shuttles; ensure that you get the right one by exploring the surrounding area with google maps because there are a couple of La Quinta options to choose from. If you can walk to dinner and a drug store for suntan lotion, etc. then you can leave the driving to someone else. :cool:

Ditto on what JohninDC said.

The LaQuinta Orlando Airport North is a very decent hotel that is 5 min from the airport. They have a complimentary airport shuttle and hot breakfast . The hotel is clean, modern , has nice landscaping and a nice pool area.

There are many restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. It will give you a lot of bang-for-your-buck.

http://www.lq.com/en/findandbook/hotel-details.orlando-airport-north.html#.VMT4HrA3PIU

Also, There are many choices for shuttles but my personal favorite is TravelLynx. They do pick-ups from area Orlando hotels to Port Canaveral and then a return trip back to the Airport or hotel. I believe that they offer private Town-Cars also.

http://www.travelynxusa.com/shuttle-bus-port-canaveral.php

A girlfriend of mine was in their shuttle and halfway to Port Canaveral when she realized that she forgot her formal dress in the closet of the hotel. The driver called another TravelLynx shuttle, that was making hotel rounds, to swing by her hotel and pick up the dress and then meet her at the port so that she could retrieve it.

This in itself says a lot about a company to me. They didn't have to do a thing but went out of their way to make sure that she had her formal for the cruise. Just a nice touch IMHO.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Laquinta near MCO is nice and clean.

We stayed there twice the night

before our cruise.

Used Executive vip limo in the morning

to the ship and they provide a

complimentary store stop for whatever

you need. Highly recommend both.

The LQ on North Frontage looks like a good option. I'm an LQ fan when I want fast, clean, and reasonably priced. Looks like lots of restaurant options within a short walk. I didn't see any shopping nearby using Google Maps. We like to load up on shampoos, lotions, etc, AFTER we fly and before we get on the ship. Anyone know if there's a drug or grocery store within walking distance? Is there a different LQ that's closer to shopping? Thanks for your help!