Cruising out of Galveston

wmjivey

Hey guys, Wifey and I are thinking of doing a cruise out Texas this time, to explore the Western side. We only notice three lines that use the port, Carnival, Royal Carribean and Disney.

Have done Disney love it, but hoping to spend less. We haven't tried Norwegian and did our first cruise with Carnival years ago and didn't like the party, cheapest feel. Any one done the trips and give suggestions?

Edited by wmjivey

Carnival Magic sails every Sunday, as does Royal' Navigator. Each a 7 day Western Caribbean. Disney is planning some this fall. Norwegian sails from Bayport, called the Houston terminal, but not year round. As my sig. shows, I have cruised Royal, and enjoy the ship, crew, and the sea. Oh yes, each sailing is with at least 3,000 + cruisers!!!

Carnival Magic sails every Sunday, as does Royal' Navigator. Each a 7 day Western Caribbean. Carnival Triumph has a 4 day trip, I think. Disney is planning some this fall. Norwegian sails from Bayport, called the Houston terminal, but not year round. As my sig. shows, I have cruised Royal, and enjoy the ship, crew, and the sea. Oh yes, each sailing is with at least 3,000 + cruisers!!!

The Emerald Princess is also cruising out of Bayport on 7 day Western Caribbean cruises.

Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival sail out of Galveston.

(Looks like Mary Ellen types faster than I do :) )

Edited by BDRebel

Hey guys, Wifey and I are thinking of doing a cruise out Texas this time, to explore the Western side. We only notice three lines that use the port, Carnival, Royal Carribean and Disney.

Have done Disney love it, but hoping to spend less. We haven't tried Norwegian and did our first cruise with Carnival years ago and didn't like the party, cheapest feel. Any one done the trips and give suggestions?

We like Royal Caribbean. Would love to try Disney, but as you say, still waiting for a less 'pricey' deal! Carnival is okay, we've done them a few times and when the price and time is right would probably do it again. We weren't crazy about Norwegian, but then it also could have been just the ship. We did the Epic. Having said all that, some people love NCL as well as the Epic. It's nice to try other lines, but we still prefer Royal, but as in most things, it's very subjective. Guess I haven't been much help, have I? Sorry! I'm sure whatever line you choose, if you're like us, there are some things you will like better than others, but you will have a great trip! Happy Sailing! :)

Carnival Magic built 2011 is the newest of the ships sailing out of Galveston. It's technically a Mega-ship with the first ropes course at sea and all kinds of specialty restaurants - it would be quite different from any other Carnival cruise ship in feel - even has spa cabins and an excellent spa - definitely check if out online if you enjoy visiting spas while on vacation. It is still a budget line, but regardless of that, this is still a very nice ship with much to do onboard.

RCCL's Navigator of the Seas built 2002, refurbished 2014 is also a very nice ship. Some of my closest friends went on this cruise about 3 weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. I have been on sister ship Voyager of the Seas and it was very enjoyable.

Carnival Truimph - built in 1999 and refurbished 2013. JMO, I would not go on this ship.

Carnival Freedom - built 2007 refurbished 2014 - A nicer ship, but not as nice as Magic, IMO.

Emerald Princess, built 2007, refurbished 2012 - I've been on sister ship the Golden Princess. These ships have a soaring atrium, but lack the "wow" factor in the dining room which has a controversial low ceiling, however the food is very good to excellent. The cabins are nice and this is a great ship for a traditional type cruise. The ship features "movies under the stars" and has several adult areas. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the Wheelhouse bar for a before dinner cocktail. Even the food in the buffet was uniformly good. Depending on the type of cruise you are looking for, this may be an excellent fit.

NCL Jewel - This is the first of the Jewel class ships. Built 2005, refurbished 2010. This ship has a Tsar's Palace main dining room decorated in a Russian royalty theme with large faux Faberge Eggs - quite pretty! This ship also has The Haven, which is for guests in suites Penthouse and above. I don't know if you can afford this, but if you can, then The Haven is THE place to be on this ship. It's really a fantastic experience with butler service, imaginative suites with great bathrooms - almost like on land and great food in Cagney's for suite guests only at breakfast and lunch. Plus there is the private pool and hot tub in The Haven. I would recommend The Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony if you want to splurge. However, even if you cannot afford The Haven, the Jewel class ships are lovely. NCL does Freestyle cruises which means that you never have to dress up and can eat dinner when you want and where you want - there are many specialty restaurants onboard. This ship also has a very nice spa. It's really a great experience and I highly recommend it. But BEFORE you decide on a cruise please be certain to have a look at the NCL Epic and NCL Getaway - these newest ships are pretty amazing!