Princess - Air Through Cruiseline Question

crazy-4-cruisin

Hi... We are considering the 12/3 departure of Golden Princess to Southern Carribean. We are considering booking air through the cruiseline for the first time since we now live in Seattle and the Seattle to San Juan route is SO LONG. WE normally book our own, etc. They are saying that they will fly us in on the same day. Does this sound right?

We really like traveling the day before and do not want to lose one night. Our guess is that we would essentially get there in time to be rushed from the airport for the 11PM departure.

Does anyone have any Princess experience with air from Seattle to San Juan? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Gina

The info you are being given is pretty much correct. One thing you might consider is paying the deviation fee to fly in a day early if you must book your flights through Princess. They normally get you there pretty quickly, and the chance you will arrive just before sailing is also probably correct. The return home CAN be a nitemare with many plane changes and layovers as they tend to purchase the cheapest flights no matter how out of the way they are for the return.

I don't think I would even consider this without the deviation or you could be starting your voyage totally exhausted and this is not a great way to begin your vacation.

Best of Luck, I hope you find an alternate method to get to your ship without booking Princess air.

Gina,

We booked the hotel package for the night before through Princess. We like to arrive a day early too, and the price for the total package was as good as we could do booking the hotel ourselves.

Although cruise air is notorious for the worst combinations, we used their flights, as we could not find cheaper to San Juan on our own. Did not need to pay the deviation fee as the assigned flight times from Albuquerque were actually very good, left around 9 am, one stop to SJU, arriving that evening, was dark, but not late. Had leisurely dinner after arriving. Return flights good as well, left ~ 1 or 2 from SJU.

Our group of 4 couples cruised on the Golden last March. One couple booked Princess air, the rest did not.

The couple that booked through Princess had terrible layovers especially on way home.

Consensus of advice on this board on prior occasions, is to use Princess for international travel and/or travel that departs and embarks from different ports. Definitely use the deviation. Adding that to the Princess air may make flights on your own more reasonable.

It's always nice to stay overnight before cruising.

THANKS for the responses and sorry for the late response...

Not really sure what you mean by purchase deviation... Is that what you purchase when you want to customize your air? If you purchase the deviation, would the consensus be that you can get decent routes (one stop with no major layovers)?

If the cost was the same (booking on our own Vs. Princess air with deviation), what would everyone recommend?

Also, how does a deviation relate to the hotel night prior to the cruise?

The air deviation fee is $75/air ticket. If you purchase the hotel through Princess, the deviation fee is waived so factor that into your cost comparisons. If you don't purchase the hotel package, the air deviation will allow you to choose your own flights on the day you choose.

Gina,

As Pam noted, you are not charged the deviation fee for coming in a day early if you have the night before hotel booked via Princess. But, if you don't like the flight times/carrier that they chose for the day before, you do have to pay the deviation fee to get the times or carriers that you do want.

Which to take? Depends on your situation. If you purchase Princess insurance, it covers your airfare at no extra cost. If you buy your own insurance, you have to include air + cruise costs. Most people think if you have Princess air, and your flight is delayed, they hold the ship for you. Not true, although they MAY decide to do this if there are a lot of folks on the same flights and they delay is not long and won't really impact the cruise itself. (Coming in a day early takes this out of contention, usually) You do get the assistance of their travel dept. if something goes wrong (flight delay and you have to catch up to ship, ship is diverted, etc.) but the extra cost technically is covered by your insurance, not Princess. Although sometimes Princess will choose to cover the change costs and/or provide credit. Look at the news items on the main page of CC and see what Carnival and RCI are doing now as a result of Katrina and you will see what I mean.

IF the cost were the same, with deviation, then I would take the Princess air. But usually, for domestic flights, you can do much better booking flights on your own and buying your own insurance for that. You also don't have to wait on pins and needles to see what flights you will have.

P.S. Just checked for your cruise, found separate air to be ~$200 per person less than Cruise Air with deviation. Jet Blue and AA. Also, remember time difference when looking at arrival times, you will be just ready for dinner at 10 pm SJU time.

Gina,

As Pam noted, you are not charged the deviation fee for coming in a day early if you have the night before hotel booked via Princess. But, if you don't like the flight times/carrier that they chose for the day before, you do have to pay the deviation fee to get the times or carriers that you do want.

Which to take? Depends on your situation. If you purchase Princess insurance, it covers your airfare at no extra cost. If you buy your own insurance, you have to include air + cruise costs. Most people think if you have Princess air, and your flight is delayed, they hold the ship for you. Not true, although they MAY decide to do this if there are a lot of folks on the same flights and they delay is not long and won't really impact the cruise itself. (Coming in a day early takes this out of contention, usually) You do get the assistance of their travel dept. if something goes wrong (flight delay and you have to catch up to ship, ship is diverted, etc.) but the extra cost technically is covered by your insurance, not Princess. Although sometimes Princess will choose to cover the change costs and/or provide credit. Look at the news items on the main page of CC and see what Carnival and RCI are doing now as a result of Katrina and you will see what I mean.

IF the cost were the same, with deviation, then I would take the Princess air. But usually, for domestic flights, you can do much better booking flights on your own and buying your own insurance for that. You also don't have to wait on pins and needles to see what flights you will have.

P.S. Just checked for your cruise, found separate air to be ~$200 per person less than Cruise Air with deviation. Jet Blue and AA. Also, remember time difference when looking at arrival times, you will be just ready for dinner at 10 pm SJU time.

We are flying in the day before for a sailing on the CB. I knew about the deviation fee but NO idea it is waived if they booked our hotel. We did everything through Princess. After seeing my itinerary, if I decide that is it cr*p, should I call them and tell them to change it? Can I tell them I want a non-stop? (There are a couple NS for IND-FLL)

Thanks for your help!

Yes, sounds like you booked a cruise plus package, so the air will be the day before the cruise, and you will not get charged extra just for that. When your air details are sent to you (about 3-4 weeks before cruise) see how good/bad they are. If you really don't like your air arrangements you can call Princess, and ask to revise your flights. You will be charged the deviation fee, and you can pick better flights. BUT, if the NS flight, for example, costs more than what they booked, you also have to pick up the difference in the cost of the flight.

Archived