Teenage boys, dress shoes and dinner.

editingbyrkay

OK so we are going on a 4 day cruise to the Bahama's and I have 3 son's and 3 daughters. The 3 girls have no problem dressing up for dinner, in fact they are looking forward to it. But the boys..not so much. They are 12, 17, and 18 and a pair of dress shoes for them will be worn 1 time for about 2 hrs (if I am lucky) and never again unless we all cruise together next year and they still fit. (Hubby and I are taking a second cruise in Oct for our anniversary but are leaving the kids behind) That being said is it 100% against the rules for them to wear nice slip on shoes like a boat type shoe (on elegant night) but something they will get more wear out of then a dress shoe?

I've been to loads of formal nights and never even heard of dress shoes. Shoes are shoes, and (because it's formal) I tend to wear my black ones rather than my brown ones.

As long as they aren't trainers (sneakers?) or boots, they'll be fine.

OK so we are going on a 4 day cruise to the Bahama's and I have 3 son's and 3 daughters. The 3 girls have no problem dressing up for dinner, in fact they are looking forward to it. But the boys..not so much. They are 12, 17, and 18 and a pair of dress shoes for them will be worn 1 time for about 2 hrs (if I am lucky) and never again unless we all cruise together next year and they still fit. (Hubby and I are taking a second cruise in Oct for our anniversary but are leaving the kids behind) That being said is it 100% against the rules for them to wear nice slip on shoes like a boat type shoe (on elegant night) but something they will get more wear out of then a dress shoe?

Its fine. Just throw them in kakhis a shirt and a tie and they will be well dressed.

Since you are saying "Elegant Night", assuming it's a Carnival cruise. A boat type shoe will be absolutely fine for the boys.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

LuLu

Clean, "plain" athletic shoes should be fine. All black are relatively easy to fine and can be used at other times without too much problem. 95% of the others on the cruise will look at the shoes or remember them.

My DD's prom date bought "formal" charocoal grey hightop converse to wear with his charcoal grey tux and looked most spiffy. And then he wore them all summer as just regular shoes.

If you want a "formal" (stuffy :) ) picture, be certain the boys feet are not visible.

I understand how you feel. My boys (17 & 13 on their next sail) hate to dress up and well, I refuse to pay for it either because I know they won't use them again. Especially my youngest he wears a 4E wide shoe, I have to pay a small fortune for shoes in his size let alone dress shoes that will only fit for 6 months!

I send them in their best looking tennis shoes at the time. I mean if someone is really that worried about what kids are wearing on their feet well... I wish that was my biggest concern in life! To be honest I don't even own a "real" pair of dress shoes myself, I actually went to formal nights in long dresses that went to the floor and wore my Teva sandals! I would break my neck if I attempted to wear heels on land let alone going up and down stairs!

You have another option though also. Make them get dressed up in something for pictures, then let them go, change, and eat at the buffet. My oldest DS ate twice with us on our last cruise and that was it. He didn't want to deal with it all. To be honest, the nights he did eat with us felt more rushed and unenjoyable because he didn't want to be there and dressed up!

Don't worry about their shoes. Most boys hate dress shoes, not to mention the cost for shoes they rarely wear. My son has always worn his tennis shoes. He wears them to church and to the main dining room on elegant night. Even when they're bright red and not a nice neutral color. Poor DH forgot his dress shoes and wore white tennis shoes to elegant night on our last cruise. Although he was embarrassed, I don't think anyone else even noticed.