Buying wine in HOU near Galleria

Mrs.Gosse

Hi there, we have a Sunday departure from Houston and we are going to be staying near the galleria, I am told it is walking distance by the hotel staff. I am wondering if someone can tell me where I can buy our wine and champagne and water we will be taking on the ship. Supposedly the hotel offers a shuttle for an area within 6 miles although we can take a cab if we need to.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Hi there, we have a Sunday departure from Houston and we are going to be staying near the galleria, I am told it is walking distance by the hotel staff. I am wondering if someone can tell me where I can buy our wine and champagne and water we will be taking on the ship. Supposedly the hotel offers a shuttle for an area within 6 miles although we can take a cab if we need to.

Specs Liquor Warehouse, 5130 Richmond at Loop 610..832-518-2850. There's a discount for cash. Better go on Saturday before 9p, that's when all liquor stores close in Texas and are not open on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Specs Liquor Warehouse, 5130 Richmond at Loop 610..832-518-2850. There's a discount for cash. Better go on Saturday before 9p, that's when all liquor stores close in Texas and are not open on Sunday.

Wine & Champagne can be purchased on Sunday after 12 noon. at grocery stores.

Central Market is at Weslayan and Westheimer, Kroger at Buffalo Speedway and Hwy 59 and Randalls is on San Felipe - not sure of address.

Wine & Champagne can be purchased on Sunday after 12 noon. at grocery stores.

Central Market is at Weslayan and Westheimer, Kroger at Buffalo Speedway and Hwy 59 and Randalls is on San Felipe - not sure of address.

Are these places near the galleria?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Walking distance? :confused: You don't mean your hotel form the port do you? Not sure why you would stay in the Galleria if you are cruising form Houston/Galveston as it really isn't close to either cruise port or airport for that matter.

Specs is.

Take a cab to specs on Saturday and buy your wine and champagne. Then you can head for the ship Sunday and be on board before noon and not have to wait to buy booze at a grocery store which will cost you more. I plan on being on the Magic for my March cruise as easly as possible.

Walking distance? :confused: You don't mean your hotel form the port do you? Not sure why you would stay in the Galleria if you are cruising form Houston/Galveston as it really isn't close to either cruise port or airport for that matter.

I'm asking about liquor stores. So I mean walking distance to liquor stores or technically I was just asking about somewhere to buy wine if you can buy wine in a grocery store there. I am staying at the Galleria area because my husband is a member of the Hilton family and we can stay there for $39 and eat at galleria restaurants for dinner. Not that it really matters.

Take a cab to specs on Saturday and buy your wine and champagne. Then you can head for the ship Sunday and be on board before noon and not have to wait to buy booze at a grocery store which will cost you more. I plan on being on the Magic for my March cruise as easly as possible.

I fully intended to buy everything on Saturday. Is the grocery store a lot more than the liquor stores? We don't have wine in grocery stores here for me to compare. Because we also need water and possibly a few snacks. Supposedly we can take a shuttle from the hotel but I am not counting on that.

Also I was saying walking distance from the galleria to give you an idea of the area to help me with stores that maybe near there without actually telling everyone exactly where we are staying.

I fully intended to buy everything on Saturday. Is the grocery store a lot more than the liquor stores? We don't have wine in grocery stores here for me to compare. Because we also need water and possibly a few snacks. Supposedly we can take a shuttle from the hotel but I am not counting on that.

Specs has water and soda and snacks. It has been my experience that specs is generally lower on prices than anywhere in town on any kind of alcohol and a wider variety. I am not sure about walking distance but should be a cheap cab ride. That's why I included the phone number. You could call and tell them where you are and hey can tell you to walk or take a cab. And you won't find nicer employees anywhere in the city. (And no I don't work for Specs I am just a loyal customer of 30 years).

I like spec's also, but water, snacks and mid priced wines are a lot less at grocery stores

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"a lot" is relative and also if she is taking a taxi, cheaper and more convenient to get everything at one place.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely do the math and figure out the cab cost in relation to what I need. We may end up needing a bunch of stuff so that might make us need to go to a grocery. If not I will check out Specs. All states are different with alcohol laws so I just wanted to do some research. I'm hoping that the hotel really will provide a shuttle. I figure our young-adult children can kill time at the galleria before dinner and when I called the hotel and asked about a shuttle over there they said they can but you can walk there and then said they provide a shuttle for a 6 mile radius. I have never tried to use this kind of shuttle so I'm not certain what they will do for us.

DH needs munchy snacks in the evening and honestly, no matter how much food is available there really isn't a crunchy snack food available on the ship. he ended up spending $4 on a half can of pringles in the gift shop on sea day and then after that we were able to buy a bunch of popcorn in ports since popcorn seems to be really popular in Alaska but in the carribean I'm not sure. So we want to start with some snacks.

I'm asking about liquor stores. So I mean walking distance to liquor stores or technically I was just asking about somewhere to buy wine if you can buy wine in a grocery store there. I am staying at the Galleria area because my husband is a member of the Hilton family and we can stay there for $39 and eat at galleria restaurants for dinner. Not that it really matters.

Ok fine. I only posted because I found the wording of your original post a little confusing. Plus there have been posters in the past who have wanted to know about hotels in the Houston area and were not familiar with Houston's geography and were surprised to find that the hotel they found for a good deal was no where near either one of the ports. Of course there are Hilton branded hotels closer to the ports, but enjoy the galleria anyway.

One other little thing..HOU is the airport code for Hobby airport, some might find that a bit confusing as well.

Edited by TruckerDave

Ok fine. I only posted because I found the wording of your original post a little confusing. Plus there have been posters in the past who have wanted to know about hotels in the Houston area and were not familiar with Houston's geography and were surprised to find that the hotel they found for a good deal was no where near either one of the ports. Of course there are Hilton branded hotels closer to the ports, but enjoy the galleria anyway.

One other little thing..HOU is the airport code for Hobby airport, some might find that a bit confusing as well.

If people cannot look at a map to see where the places they need to go are then it is their own fault if they are too far away from the airport. I can look at a map. I am very well aware that there are Hilton hotels near the port, as I have mentioned that we are members of the Hilton family. There is also nothing to do around them and the giant Galleria provides food and entertainment for my family because we will be there before our cruise.

Mandola's liquor on about 4300 block on Richmond Ave is very

near Galleria

used to deliver .

Call and ask !

May be cheaper than cabs?

They are also next to Ragin Cajun

Restaurant😄if you want a real Louisiana experience.

It's oyster

and crawfish season also, if you would like to suck the heads;)

of the mud bugs.

Mandola's liquor on about 4300 block on Richmond Ave is very

near Galleria

used to deliver .

Call and ask !

May be cheaper than cabs?

They are also next to Ragin Cajun

Restaurant😄if you want a real Louisiana experience.

It's oyster

and crawfish season also, if you would like to suck the heads;)

of the mud bugs.

Great tip! Thank you...for both suggestions! :o