Shore excursion held - Aruba and Curacao?

elycelynne

Nobody on our roll call is doing any private tours (at least not that I've been made aware of), so I'm trying to decide which HAL tours I want to do for Aruba and Curacao. I've previously done the "Aruba Town and Countryside" tour and in Curacao the "Willemstad Trolley Train" tour (and did my own side trip to the synagogue).

I like my tours low-key, so for Aruba I think I've got it narrowed down to either "Colors of Aruba" (which features the Ostrich farm) or "Natural Wonders of Aruba" (which features the Butterfly Farm). For Curacao I'm debating among the "Ostrich Farm and Aloe Plantation", "Curacao Country Drive" or "Discover Curacao".

Please share any opinions, experiences, recommendations, etc. Thanks!

It should read "Shore Excursion help" -- not "held".

Bon Voyage Elyce! I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We'll be on the Noordam for B2B cruises in a couple of months!

Can't help you with Curacao, but when we were in Aruba a few years back, we took a tour from one of the many waiting tour vans and was one half the price HAL wanted. I believe it was for about three hours. It took us to many areas of Aruba.

Edited by kjw869

Is there a tour on Curacao that takes you to the other side of the island? I took a tour to Blue Bay across the island and it stopped at the flamingo salt flats for pictures, then to a private beach, lots of shade, facilities, bar, and snorkel gear for those who wanted. Just a very beautiful afternoon. m--

Bon Voyage Elyce! I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We'll be on the Noordam for B2B cruises in a couple of months!

Can't help you with Curacao, but when we were in Aruba a few years back, we took a tour from one of the many waiting tour vans and was one half the price HAL wanted. I believe it was for about three hours. It took us to many areas of Aruba.

Thanks, Ken!

I assume that Diane and her husband (whose name escapes me at the moment) will also be with you? I also see that you're on the Zuiderdam Sunfarer next year -- Interesting!

Since I'm on my own, I'm really a bit skittish about hopping into an unknown tour van by myself, which is why I usually stick to HAL's tours unless someone from my roll call organizes something (as you did last year).

Many years ago we did the Natural Wonders of Aruba and Discover Curacao and enjoyed both tours.

Yes there are vendors in both ports. But for the most part, we prefer to do HAL tours -- especially since we are both older with health issues.

Thanks for your feedback!

I don't have the health issues, but being by myself I feel safer either on a HAL tour or on something that's been set up by a fellow roll call member.

Edited by elycelynne

One my recent cruise, I did the Natural Wonders of Aruba tour and my parents did the Colors of Aruba.

I enjoyed the Natural Wonders tour, but I will caution that there is a bit of uneven hiking at the rock formation stop. The Butterfly Farm was wonderful and the farm guide (who was not the tour guide) was excellent. She really did a great job explaining the life cycle of the butterflies. And we were lucky enough to be there for a first flight of a butterfly.

The rock formation was interesting, but there was a bit of hiking up stone steps with no railings. That part was optional, so you could just stay on the level path.

The Natural Bridge was interesting and the waves breaking along the shore there were awesome. There is a good deal of uneven gourd there, so do be careful when walking.

My parents saw the Natural Bridge, and had the same comments. They enjoyed the Ostrich Farm, and even told a story at dinner of a lady on their tour whose watch was stolen off her wrist by a curious ostrich.

One my recent cruise, I did the Natural Wonders of Aruba tour and my parents did the Colors of Aruba.

I enjoyed the Natural Wonders tour, but I will caution that there is a bit of uneven hiking at the rock formation stop. The Butterfly Farm was wonderful and the farm guide (who was not the tour guide) was excellent. She really did a great job explaining the life cycle of the butterflies. And we were lucky enough to be there for a first flight of a butterfly.

The rock formation was interesting, but there was a bit of hiking up stone steps with no railings. That part was optional, so you could just stay on the level path.

The Natural Bridge was interesting and the waves breaking along the shore there were awesome. There is a good deal of uneven gourd there, so do be careful when walking.

My parents saw the Natural Bridge, and had the same comments. They enjoyed the Ostrich Farm, and even told a story at dinner of a lady on their tour whose watch was stolen off her wrist by a curious ostrich.

Was the rock formation the Casabari rocks? I've already been to and climbed those. No need for me to do that again! ;)

In Aruba Sonny Binns is great, we've used his tour twice. He picks up at the port, you do not need to find others to join you. He likes to have at least six people but he took four of us out once. He is famous on trip advisor and very reasonable.

There is also a famous tour company picking up at the port in Curaçao, check trip advisor. I cannot think of their name. No need to find a group, you make a reservation for yourselves only. We had a jitney full of people. Very reasonably priced.,

Thanks, Ken!

I assume that Diane and her husband (whose name escapes me at the moment) will also be with you? I also see that you're on the Zuiderdam Sunfarer next year -- Interesting!

Since I'm on my own, I'm really a bit skittish about hopping into an unknown tour van by myself, which is why I usually stick to HAL's tours unless someone from my roll call organizes something (as you did last year).

Yes Elyce, Diane will be with us on our B2B cruises on the Noordam, and husband Mike will join us on the Sunfarer cruise. We all disembarked the Westerdam on January 17th.

You should consider joining us again next February. We did the 11-day cruise two or three years ago to the Canal, but it didn't stop in Bonaire or Cartagena, Columbia. I see you will visit Bonaire, as that is an island we've never visited. One of our favorite tour operators is in Limon, Costa Rica, and we'll be happy to see him again. :)

In Aruba Sonny Binns is great, we've used his tour twice. He picks up at the port, you do not need to find others to join you. He likes to have at least six people but he took four of us out once. He is famous on trip advisor and very reasonable.

There is also a famous tour company picking up at the port in Curaçao, check trip advisor. I cannot think of their name. No need to find a group, you make a reservation for yourselves only. We had a jitney full of people. Very reasonably priced.,

I second Sonny - great tour for the money. We went last Nov.

DaveOKC

We did the HAL aloe plantation/ostrich farm tour on our last visit to Curacao, and it was more fun that some other ship tours we've experienced. This trip we will be going to the beach with Irie Tours, which gets really good reviews most of the time. Since we don't go until March, I can't give you a firsthand impression. My in-laws are doing the city tour with them while we beach hop.

Edited by Nanner