Anxious about valuables getting waterlogged

Happy jacc

ACKKKKKK!!! Do NOT take your passports on shore!!!! Unless specifically told to. by cruise personnel, like in Russia, your passport is Much safer in your room safe. It is the number one target of most thieves in tourist areas. There is no reason to take it with you, you do not need it, we are way past the 'Show me your papers' days.

Second that!

I carry an enhanced DL, comparable to a passport card, and copies of our passports sealed in a ziploc baggie to "waterproof" them. I also carry a copy of the ship daily schedule as it has the ship's port agent info on it. Worst case, the port agent can coordinate retrieving your passport from the ship in a real need. Don't risk it - keep your passport under lock and key whenever possible!

Hi Jules, yes we do leave stuff on the beach here in Aus. But I wouldnt suggest good idea in Europe, you seen the show "scam city"?.

After 2 Med cruises and 5 weeks around the Med last year, I have yet to swim in the Med, just not appealing and beaches by our standards are rubbish.

If you do have a opportunity to swim it may be best to have someone with belongings at all times, and you will have to have your passport with you if onshore.

As far as a camera is concerned I bought a Waterproof one Duty Free for around $200 , for times when I might get it wet. Needless to say, it didnt get wet yet.

Thanks John.

I don't nexesarily plan to swim, but would like to be prepared in case I do.

Living in Brisbane I am spoilt for glorious beaches 1 hour North or South, and warm water (not like that freezing Cottlesloe water I experience 12 months ago)!

Jules

Second that!

I carry an enhanced DL, comparable to a passport card, and copies of our passports sealed in a ziploc baggie to "waterproof" them. I also carry a copy of the ship daily schedule as it has the ship's port agent info on it. Worst case, the port agent can coordinate retrieving your passport from the ship in a real need. Don't risk it - keep your passport under lock and key whenever possible!

We usually carry a certified copy of our passports with us at all times when traveling.

The tips regarding daily schedule sound a good idea: thanks for sharing.

Jules

Thanks John.

I don't nexesarily plan to swim, but would like to be prepared in case I do.

Living in Brisbane I am spoilt for glorious beaches 1 hour North or South, and warm water (not like that freezing Cottlesloe water I experience 12 months ago)!

Jules

Having had the pleasure of swimming at your beaches, I can assure you that it would be rare to find anything comparable in Europe. . .just not the same at all. My daughter lives on the beach in Surfers Paradise, aptly named, so I am well aware of how lovely and inviting they are.

Edited by CathyCruises

Having had the pleasure of swimming at your beaches, I can assure you that it would be rare to find anything comparable in Europe. . .just not the same at all. My daughter lives on the beach in Surfers Paradise, aptly named, so I am well aware of how lovely and inviting they are.

I understand what you are saying Cathy, but if it's hot I don't mind a dip: rocky or not :)

Wow, your daughter lives a long way from you.

I guess it makes for a great reason to visit Aus.

Jules

I understand what you are saying Cathy, but if it's hot I don't mind a dip: rocky or not :)

Wow, your daughter lives a long way from you.

I guess it makes for a great reason to visit Aus.

Jules

Yes, she does live far away and we miss her, but she's very happy there. She's a third year med student at Griffith U., and her boyfriend is also named Jules! We've been just once so far, but will be going for her graduation next December (2016) if not before.

As to the beaches, if there's a will, there's a way, so if you search specific ports here you can find the best local beaches. I know in Civitavecchia (port for Rome) you can take the train about two stops to Santa Marinella where there's a nice beach. Assuming you don't spend all your time in Rome!!!