Beach in barbados

Dr.Mabuse

Recently, when I visited the turtles on Michael's Glass Bottom Boat, I was at Folkestone Park. There are lockers available at US$1 per unit, that is BDS$2.There is also a souvenir and snack shop there. On cruise ship days the chairman is there and also the drinks and sandwich place is opened.

Hope you are able to visit, if you dont want to catch the glass bottom boat, decent snorkelling is available in the cordoned off Marine Park Area. You may also visit the museum and sit on the tables provided.

Hope you are able to enjoy as my family and I did.

Dr.MabuseIs accra beach busy on saturday?

The beach had a bit more activity on Saturday with a few locals but down by the Sugar Reef side is always fairly quiet the beach chairs are spaced out nicely you you have a perfect view and do not feel crmpt :)

Yesterday 04:01 PMcruisinsince75Sarah, we are going to be staying at the South Beach Resort prior to sailing on the Silver Whisper in November. Is there any good snorkel spots at Accra, or are we better off heading up to Holetown and doing Folkstone Underwater Park? If so, are there any calm sandy beaches there?

Hi

Accra does have a reef off of it if you go to th eend of the beach by sugar reef and take a swim out it is not extreemsly far but it is not right off the shore. I am told there is great snorkelling there. Having said this folkestone is very popular in Barbados for snorkeling. There will be more people around at folkestone by Accra you might have the reef to yourself. Re the beache at Folkestone last time I was there there was not much of a beach at all.

Hi Sarah

First let me thank the OP for this thread, secondly Let me thank you Sarah for doing such an outstanding job with the advice on Barbados.

I just have one question:

We arrive in Bridgetown at 7 am … and we want to do nothing but have another beach day .. Relaxing playing in the water eating a little something.. A little beverage with umbrellas .. You get the pix..

So is Accra Beach/Sugar Reef Restaurant our best bet? Or would you suggest another location?

Also approximately what should I pay a cab to take me the both of us there and back, are the cabs there like other places where the same driver comes back for you at a specified time?.. Any insight is much appreciated.

Malibu Beach and Boat Yard offer some kind of Package where you pay and that goes towards charis umbrellas and so many tickets to use back at the bar or lunch.

At Accra you can go to Sugar Reef and get a chair and umbrella for US$5.00 and then just order drinks from the beach bar as you like and lunch when you are ready. It is not altogether at the moment but I know you will enjoy it it is really beautifull there and Sugar Reef staff are helpfull.

• 1 month later...

Hi Joey

Sorry I have not been on the board for a while.

I think yes I would say Accra it is stunning.

There are other beaches like Mullins and Boat Yard which are very popular with cruisers

Boat Yard is ok but it really is not all that gorgeous. Mullins is nice but a bit small.

Accra on the other hand is just the right size and it is not a beach that the hoards of cruisers have discovered yet. At the boat yard and Mullins you find rows of chairs up and down side to side. I hate that I like to have my space and a clear view of the beach and sea without having to sit up and look over a bunch of people.

check out this site http://www.sugarreefbistro.com/ it is the Sugar Reed restaurant where you can get your chairs and your umbrella drinks. I love those umbrella drinks. :)

• 1 month later...
Hi Sqeakydust

Accra Beach is on the South Coast about 10-15 min from the port there is a parlinglot for the beach and parking is free. There are also showers to wash off the saltwater and sand.

Re the Accra & Carlisle bay thing um they are a bit diffrent but I think I would say Accra. Actually if you drive towards Carlisle bay and keep going for a while after Carlisle bay you will come to Accra. I would suggest renting a car or just getting a cab:)

Where exactly is Accra Beach?

We hope to hire a car on our day in Barbados, so would be looking to drive there. Would it be easy to park nearby? Would we have to pay for parking? We have always gone to Carlisle Bay, do you think Accra is better?

If we did do Carlisle Bay is it feasible to walk to it from the port?

Thanks

Thanks for the pictures.

I guess their's no bus service to this awesome beach from the ship terminal?

I'm not aware of anyone renting snorkeling equip at Accra Beach. I would also suggest for a better snorkeling experience that you head up to Folkstone.

If you want to go to Accra, you might want to check onboard the ship and see if they rent or lend snorkeling equipement for you to take off the ship with you (just a thought).

enjoy

I may be reading too many Threads about different Ports of Call on the Serenade's Southern Caribbean route, but I thought I ran across a Poster that said there was a great beach in Barbados with a restaurant that served huge lobsters !

Can anyone help me identify such a place ?

Thanks

Our family of three (including a 16 year old son) spent several very pleasant hours at Accra Beach with a group of fellow cruisers from Vancouver. We chose Accra over the Boatyard because we wanted a quieter beach experience, and we were not disappointed. Accra is lovely -- not crowded when we were there mid-week, good sand, excellent view. The reef isn't far out and the three teenagers in our group who ventured out reported lots of fish... they enjoyed it very much. I didn't see a rental place, but there are some shops between the beach and the road selling clothing and other items. Since the beach is lined with trees it's possible to use those rather than umbrellas for shade. A big plus -- no vendors on the beach when we were there.

We got a taxi from the pier (very easy, btw, since you just walk out of the cruise terminal and follow the signs for taxis -- they're right there). It was per person $5 to Accra and because you have to go through Bridgetown it takes about half an hour (although the distance isn't great there is traffic in town.)

We had a very smart driver named Adrian. He gave me a quarter and his phone number, showed me the telephone and asked that we call him when we were ready to return to the ship. Great arrangement -- he came right over and picked us up.

Having tried swimming venues on both east and west coasts on previous cruises, I can definitely recommend Accra Beach on the South coast of Barbados. It's the best beach I have found in four trips to the island.

It sounds like this is the place for us too. We, there are 6 of us, will be there on Thursday, February 23rd. Does anyone know what it costs to rent the chairs and umbrellas? We have a couple older people and a couple very fair people so I think we'll need 6 chairs and 3 umbrellas. Does anyone also know if there are plenty available or do we need to reserve them? If any local people read this, what could you recommend at the restaurant that would give us a flavor of Barbados cooking?

thanks for all the excellent info,

Peggy

Sorry I can't remember the exact amount (three days of beaches with rentals on each several weeks ago!), but it was around $5 a chair. I must say of all the chairs we have rented, these were the worst -- missing strips, etc., but they were usable and I suppose we could have asked for better chairs -- don't know if they had them. We didn't rent umbrellas at Accra because there were trees bordering the back of the beach and it was possible to use these instead of an umbrella. At other Caribbean beaches umbrellas go from $3-6. Depends on the beach. You should try to negotiate a better rate for the multiple rentals -- we had 14 people on an Antiguan beach last month and got the price down because we were renting "in bulk." Worth a try, anyway!

I hope you have a great day!

Archived