GETAWAY Dining questions - Large group of 15

siestaclaud

We are booked for Aug 2015 so I have sometime to prepare, but I am trying to coordinate dinners for 15 of us. My in-laws are in the Haven and they are paying for all of us to take the cruise. They just went on Getaway in October and loved it - first cruise ever. We have been on 9 cruises - just off Freedom of the Seas - never will we sail with RC again (long story :mad:) - so I am really looking forward to the causal fun of NCL. :D

I am hoping some people here can help me with the planning of these meals. Should I call the concierge number for the Haven and have them book it all through my in-laws instead of trying to do this all online myself? Will I be able to do that?

Also - we have 7 days. I am trying to plan the nights out to meet up for dinner. Any suggestions on what you would do with this group? In-laws are early 70's, 6 middle aged adults, 7 others ages 21 down to 13.

Top restaurant choice is Le Bistro, probably followed by Teppanyaki. And then Cagneys. Just planning dinners and shows. Breakfast and lunch will be on our own.

Speaking of breakfast and lunch - what are some of your favorites? We were VERY limited on Royal - basically just the Windjammer all day long, but we are excited to have options, and want to make the most of them!:)

We are booked for Aug 2015 so I have sometime to prepare, but I am trying to coordinate dinners for 15 of us. My in-laws are in the Haven and they are paying for all of us to take the cruise. They just went on Getaway in October and loved it - first cruise ever. We have been on 9 cruises - just off Freedom of the Seas - never will we sail with RC again (long story :mad:) - so I am really looking forward to the causal fun of NCL. :D

I am hoping some people here can help me with the planning of these meals. Should I call the concierge number for the Haven and have them book it all through my in-laws instead of trying to do this all online myself? Will I be able to do that?

Also - we have 7 days. I am trying to plan the nights out to meet up for dinner. Any suggestions on what you would do with this group? In-laws are early 70's, 6 middle aged adults, 7 others ages 21 down to 13.

Top restaurant choice is Le Bistro, probably followed by Teppanyaki. And then Cagneys. Just planning dinners and shows. Breakfast and lunch will be on our own.

Speaking of breakfast and lunch - what are some of your favorites? We were VERY limited on Royal - basically just the Windjammer all day long, but we are excited to have options, and want to make the most of them!:)

OK. Breakfast is actually great in O'Sheehans... made to order sit down breakfast with a decent menu and excellent service!

Garden Cafe is nice too, but can be really crowded.

Taste and/or Savor have breakfast as well, but slower service than O'Sheehans typically.

Lunch... all of the above can be good... We enjoyed each of them.

As for dinners , if you all plan to eat together at all I would work that through the concierge. 15 people is a lot to arrange for.

This is just my opinion, but I would definitely NOT try to eat every meal together. We were just on the Getaway - party of 12. We tried eating together just 2 nights and it was a disaster. When we dined with just 2-6 people - no problems. We were finished in 1 1/2 hrs. +/-. The 2 nights all 12 dined together - HORRIBLE. I have no clue what took SOOOOO long. We thought maybe the first night was just an isolated incident - wrong - the 2nd time was just as bad. 30 minutes between courses. We actually timed one night - 42 minutes to get entrees. 3 hours is just way to long to spend on dining - especially with kids. During both meals, we repeated stopped our waiter to ask why the delay. We also asked to speak to a manager twice. They all just apologized and said they would check on things and get us our food - just didn't happen.

That all being said - Getaway is currently our Favorite ship!!! We've been on 45 +/- cruises. We've done Epic/Allure and Getaway/Oasis back to back. Not even close - Getaway is our favorite!

The OP cannot do the planning like she hopes. There are too many variables with meal times and when someone is hungry. The age groups will be a problem, mostly with that middle group. There is far too much to do on that ship for young adults and it's not fair to lock everyone in on a specific time ,stop what they are doing, just to eat. Let groups of 4 or 5 dine at their preferred time (or even not).

siestaclaude, It is best for everyone to book their entertainment first and then to schedule dinners outside of the entertainment times. Your inlaws can book the restaurants onboard via their concierge. You cannot use the Haven concierge unless you are also a Haven suite guest. But your inlaws CAN do this.

The kids in the group may be busy with kids club activities most evenings and not interested in dining or the shows. I would think more about booking in the specialty restaurants for the adults only with the exception of Teppanyaki, which the kids might enjoy - unless you have gourmet kids - and I know some people do - just look at Masterchef Junior!

I believe the table size at Teppanyaki is for a maximum of 12, however. So you might want to check about that.

I think your group would likely enjoy Moderno - which is a Brazilian churrascaria. NCL does this far better than RCCL, IMO.

If you go to Imaginarium, I believe the table size is 8 -10 max. Dinner is served with the show - there is only 2 options: Fillet mignon and shrimp or some kind of vegetarian option. But this is one thing the whole group would probably enjoy doing together.

All great info - thank you everyone! We just got off RCI Freedom of the Seas and had dinner for 9 planned out every night. It worked well - yes service was slow - but I blamed that on RCI - ! :)

Since my inlaws are paying we are all planning to just meet up for dinners and probably 2 excursions. I am hoping we can make it work - but I will heed all of your advice moving forward.

Thanks!

When I sailed on the Breakaway this past April with a group of 12, I called the Group Dining Department and they arranged for us to have all of our dinners for the group together . They will make the reservations for the specialty restaurants or the regular dining rooms.. They were very helpful and have access to some availability that may not be avaialble online.