Dunns River Falls on our own?

Jewelfine

Hey there

Has anyone ever done Dunns River Falls on their own off of a cruise ship? we have done it on a private tour, but really we just want to be first off the ship and over there - I thought maybe by taxi...

What do you think?

thanx

I've been MANY times and always DIY ... first visit was in 1986.

Just get a taxi and tell 'em you want the Falls ONLY

last time I went it was $10 US per person which is outrageous but that's the price . . this IS for a round trip tho.

{NOTE: this is from the pier at OCHO .... I would NOT try this from Fal or MB .... I wouldn't ride an hour plus to get to DRF ...}

The driver will tell you he'll pick you up in something like 90 minutes. This assumes you want to climb once and leave. BUT the admission is for ALL DAY and we stay several hours. Tell the driver when YOU WANT to be picked up. If he does not show it is no big deal, there is a dispatcher and he knows you paid for a round trip. He'll eventually but you in a different car but get "your" drivers name or card if you can . . . they all have cell phones now.

If you have only done DRF as part of a tour:

- you do NOT have to use a guide .... I don't

- you do NOT have to stay on the guide's path .... I don't

- you are not restricted to climbing UP ... sometimes we go DOWN ...

We go up the middle!

drf8.jpg

drf5.jpg

drf4.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

I'd do something different than Dunn's River. Its so crowded. We did Blue Hole with Liberty TOurs and it was awesome. Best experience/excursion I've ever had. Plus Falmouth is a bad area I wouldn't want to be renting a car in that area. They have heavy security just to get in and out of port.

I've been MANY times and always DIY ... first visit was in 1986.

Just get a taxi and tell 'em you want the Falls ONLY

last time I went it was $10 US per person which is outrageous but that's the price . . this IS for a round trip tho.

{NOTE: this is from the pier at OCHO .... I would NOT try this from Fal or MB .... I wouldn't ride an hour plus to get to DRF ...}

The driver will tell you he'll pick you up in something like 90 minutes. This assumes you want to climb once and leave. BUT the admission is for ALL DAY and we stay several hours. Tell the driver when YOU WANT to be picked up. If he does not show it is no big deal, there is a dispatcher and he knows you paid for a round trip. He'll eventually but you in a different car but get "your" drivers name or card if you can . . . they all have cell phones now.

If you have only done DRF as part of a tour:

- you do NOT have to use a guide .... I don't

- you do NOT have to stay on the guide's path .... I don't

- you are not restricted to climbing UP ... sometimes we go DOWN ...

We go up the middle!

drf8.jpg

drf5.jpg

drf4.jpg

Wondering if you could elaborate on taking a taxi in Ocho, for someone somewhat concerned about safety?

Ocho is one of the (few) ports my hubby is leary of , typically we're adventurous. I don't want to splurge on a driver, but a tour is too touristy. Would appreciate any advice.

http://caribya.com/jamaica/taxis/

taxi service is regulated in JA altho rouges can be found

regulated taxi service is governed by JUTA and will have a red front tag with PP or PPV and a number. If you get a taxi from the stand at the cruise terminal it WILL be a regulated taxi . . .

I once had to travel from Kingston to Port Antonio by taxi departing at 8 pm .... I had no problems . . . the trip took nearly 4 hours, but we stopped for refreshments

Edited by Capt_BJ

http://caribya.com/jamaica/taxis/

taxi service is regulated in JA altho rouges can be found

regulated taxi service is governed by JUTA and will have a red front tag with PP or PPV and a number. If you get a taxi from the stand at the cruise terminal it WILL be a regulated taxi . . .

I once had to travel from Kingston to Port Antonio by taxi departing at 8 pm .... I had no problems . . . the trip took nearly 4 hours, but we stopped for refreshments

This is very informative. Thank you!