Internet on Navigator

TeanneTX

We're on NOS in May and have an OBC. We don't drink so was thinking about using the OBC for an internet package. Anyone have any experience with the internet on NOS. We've used it on a 2 week cruise on Celebrity and it was slow but I was able to look at email and Facebook. Is it accessible all over the ship or only in the computer center. Just curious if anyone has any experience.

Teanne

We cruised last week on NOS out of Galveston. We also had $200 OBC. I decided to get the unlimited package for one device for the entire cruise. The price for the week was $189.00. I did have suite credit of 10% off. So I paid $170.10.

The service is so very slow. Just to get on AOL, CNN or Facebook would takes 2 to 3 minutes. Google searches took forever. I estimated that compared to free airport wifi, the ship's wifi is nearly 100 times slower. I thought maybe it was my device at first. Then we went to the wifi lounge and the ship's PCs were even slower.

But it is better than nothing.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm not going to waste my OBC for the wifi after all. Hopefully I can find wifi in the 3 ports to just check my email. Won't use the wifi for anything secure though. Thank you.

Teanne

We were wanting to get it, but only so we could possibly Skype with my 2 year old daughter....this will be the first time away from her for a week. I guess we could try to find someplace in port to try and skype so we can see her.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm not going to waste my OBC for the wifi after all. Hopefully I can find wifi in the 3 ports to just check my email. Won't use the wifi for anything secure though. Thank you.

Teanne

We will be on the NOS in May. But, I will say, that the best way to find free or low cost wifi in ports is to ask the crew or follow them off the ship. That is usually the first thing they want to do so they can connect with their loved ones. Most crew members are a wealth of information regarding the ports.

I found the Navigator Wi-Fi internet on our recent B2B2B Navigator and on all of our other cruises was best early in the morning, 6 to 7 am, or later at night after 9pm when there are fewer passengers using the limited broadband. I'm an early riser so I did this early most days.

We're both Diamond Plus so had a free 60 minute package each and it was OK for emails and checking out web sites. There are also free links to RCCL web sites that can be accessed with the ship's computers or your own device so don't use up your minutes doing this.

What would you suggest for someone that just wants to send a couple of emails each day? We aren't taking our son, but would like to stay in touch via email.

Do you have an email program that will let you read and compose off line? If so, to keep costs down, you could briefly log on the ship wifi, download your email, then log off ship wifi. Once off line, read email and compose responses (Do not include photos or large attachments if you wish to minimize time). Then briefly log back on to ship wifi, send those responses and log out again. Handling email that way may minimize the number of minutes of ship wifi needed to stay in touch with your son by email.

Try to find free or inexpensive wifi in ports for longer interactions or to send photos, etc.

That is a great idea. I think I will do just that-ask the crew where the nearest wi-fi is and use it. Thanks.

We've sailed Navigator/Mariner/Voyager out of Galveston for years, and we do get the one-hour free Internet as part of our loyalty package. Overall it's not all that bad, but logging off can be tricky ... it's not simply a matter of shutting down. If you purchase a package, make sure you go to Guest Services ... they'll show you how to log off without being charged for additional minutes.

Better still ... find a Diamonds International (pretty easy) and use their free wi-fi. If you're going to Falmouth, Jamaica there's a lounge upstairs ... even free drinks; just tip the bartender. If you're bringing a mobile device, the password is ... crownoflight ... and you can stay there as long as you wish. The downtown Cozumel store is much smaller, but there's a nice seating area; mobile password ... everyone ... and nobody bothers you. We didn't use it in Grand Cayman, but any employee will tell you what the password is. Just be as inconspicuous as possible and you'll be fine.

Have a great cruise!

Al