iWhat downtown Miami hotel...

kelkel2

has the best view of the port?

I am just starting to look at prices and I am not relatively familiar with any of the hotels in the area other than the Holiday inn POM and the Intercontinental. I know there are several other nice hotels in the area. One of my favorite things pre cruise is looking out my hotel window in the morning and seeing all the ships in Port.

Honestly this cruise is booked for my husband and I's 5 & 6th anniversary. We booked it this year, and are embarking on the ship on our 6th anniversary next year, so if it's a tad expensive of a hotel I really don't mind. I kind of like trying to play the Priceline/ LMT game.

Last time we went we stayed at the Holiday Inn POM and although we left pleased with out stay and location, we would really like something special.

What are your recommendations?

Currently leaning a little bit towards the Intercontinental as I can get a friends and family discount there, but it doesn't save me that much money. Only about $60...

Two other hotels that offer some rooms with a view of the port are the Marriott and next door Doubletree (they share a parking garage). Doubletree is where I stay when in Miami on business, has a GREAT pool area, shopping/dining close by, and the lobby bar/restaurant is a good option. Taxi from either to POM will be about $10-12

Two other hotels that offer some rooms with a view of the port are the Marriott and next door Doubletree (they share a parking garage). Doubletree is where I stay when in Miami on business, has a GREAT pool area, shopping/dining close by, and the lobby bar/restaurant is a good option. Taxi from either to POM will be about $10-12

That doubletree actually looks really nice and I can get a suite for a decent price. So I'm putting it on my list of options. Do you recall if theres any place nearby like a CVS or a walgreens or anywhere I can buy my wine and a few toiletries that I don't want to fly with?

Drug store within a couple of blocks or there are local convenience shops in the underground area connecting the two hotels and some nearby condo buildings.

Walk to Bin 18 (Biscayne & 18th) for great tapas and an extensive wine and craft beer list. :D

I am not big on the location of the Marriott and Doubletree not in terms of seeing the port but the area to walk around. If you just want a view they are great options. If you want to walk around the area I would select another location.

I would look at the Intercontinental, Marriott Marquis, and Epic Hotel where you could get a view of the port and it is a nicer area to walk around.

Just my two cents.

Keith

So I looked online, it's hard to tell how close stuff really is and what is actually walkable. Are there any good local restaurants nearby for dinner other than the one earlier suggested? I like to have options to list to my husband.

I see that there's a Publix nearby and I will probably attempt to walk there for a few things. Anything near that area?

Oh that's fantastic!!! Tapas and craft beer!!! You hit our needs right on the money!

Is the Marriott nearby the JW Marriott or the other one? I was thinking the JW was was down by the intercontinental.

JW Marriott is on Brickell not too far from Four Seasons.

Marriott Marquis is near Intercontinental.

And this Marriott is on Bayshore Drive.

You mentioned you wanted something special. I really would stay somewhere else whether that is JW Marriott, Marriott Marquis or Intercontinental and the choice of restaurants at these locations will be great too.

Keith

So I looked online, it's hard to tell how close stuff really is and what is actually walkable. Are there any good local restaurants nearby for dinner other than the one earlier suggested? I like to have options to list to my husband.

I see that there's a Publix nearby and I will probably attempt to walk there for a few things. Anything near that area?

Tony Chan's - Chinese

Catch grill & Bar - casual seafood

Mike's (good burgers and beer with a view).

All three, plus Bin 18 are walkable. If you want you can walk to Bayside in 15+ minutes where there are lots of chain dining options plus a few local spots - I would take a cab back (about $10) after dark.

Thank you for all the help!

I guess I will just have to watch and see what the prices do with the IC, because I am really not willing to pay $363 for a standard room. I mean it's a nice hotel, but for that money, I don't think it's worth it. I have read of a lot of people getting much better deals.

Right now I have the King Grand Suite booked at the Double Tree and it's a refundable rate, so if I end up finding a good rate at a better hotel I can always cancel but I think that will be a spectacular room, plus cheaper than the IC.

• 6 months later...