Orlando experts - looking for place to meet up on a Saturday

mspink98

My SIL and her family, including my niece and nephew, will be disembarking a Disney cruise in Ft. Lauderdale on 3/6. We get off Explorer in Port Canaveral the next day. They were thinking of stopping off in Orlando so we can get together with them before they continue their drive back north, so I'm looking for ideas now here to meet up for lunch and catching up. No one is interested in paying park admission for just one afternoon, but I was thinking possibly something in the downtown Disney area. Any suggestions, either there or somewhere else? Kids are 6 and 8.

I'd stay away from Down Town Disney

with the parking all torn up for construction of garages, the area is a real mess.

City Walk at Universal is a good alternative but you'd need to pay for parking.

Where is SIL returning to? What is their driving route? Is Orlando on the way or a diversion? Are they heading up 95 or the turnpike? I can think of several recommendations around Canaveral

Fun Spot Orlando or Kissimmee would be good for the kids but kind of gagging for the adults

Just back from a cruise followed by Disney short vacation. Downtown Disney is a zoo, crowded all the time and parking is a nightmare. Actually the parking itself wasn't a total nightmare, but exiting the parking garage was. If you must have Disney then meeting somewhere in the Boardwalk area, such as in front of the ESPN club would be easy to find and there is a self parking area by the Boardwalk Resort. The Boardwalk is lovely.

However if they are heading up I 95, then meeting up somewhere off 95 would be far easier.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just north of downtown Orlando. It has restaurants, cafes, a park, and shopping. Closer to Canaveral than Disney and right off of I-4.

Its a perfect place to just spend a couple hours with family or friends.

The Central Florida Zoo is also a nice place.

For just a short trip with young kids and your not going to visit a theme park, my vote would be Winter Park. Its beautiful!

http://experienceparkavenue.com/25-things-to-see-do/

Edited by DreamingBig1

Thanks, everyone! They'll be headed to Wisconsin, not sure which route they'll be taking through FL. I'm hoping they take 95, because if they end up in my neck of the woods (just south of Jacksonville), we can just have them over to the house and that solves all my problems. :D If I were driving that direction, I'd do 95 to Jax and then cut over to 75.

Disney is NOT a necessity. I'd rather avoid it, honestly. We were thinking Orlando as a diversion for Friday night for them while they're waiting for us Saturday. Just staying near the port is a possibility too.

Downtown Disney is a great place for your niece and nephew to get a little Disney without going to the parks. Depending on when you are going, it can be crowded. But the first week of March the reports of crowding are GREATLY exaggerated, even with the construction. Try the ribs and cornbread at House of Blues. It's in front of the Cirque de Soleil tent on the west end so it's easy to find. Or do some walking and stop at the Earl of Sandwich or Planet Hollywood in the middle. Or meet at the Rainforest Cafe at the east end. Plenty to keep kids busy and give you time to talk.