HELP! Birth Certificate Question (Copy)

robtx100

We surprised the nephew and his fiancé with a cruise with us on the Dream leaving next Sunday. We have passports, but knew they did not so I've asked them to make sure they have certified government issued raised seal birth certificates over a week ago. Tonight I learned they have copies. ARRGGGHHH! Then I go to Carnivals website and saw this.

• Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

So do they need a raised seal copy or is a Xerox copy fine now? I'm hoping they can go and get a certified copy this week, but in a panic.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Well I had to replace mine after it went missing and the new one they sent me in the mail does NOT have a raised seal anywhere on it, and they informed me this would be OK. On our last cruise I don't believe my Birth Cert. had a raised seal either, and it wasn't an issue.

Maybe I just got lucky though...I really don't know. I called Carnival to ask and stated the one I got from the State of Texas DID NOT send me one with any kind of raised seal and it's an official Birth Cert, and they said this would be OK.

It must have the raised seal...maybe in these days you can get one online and have it expedited.

I do believe if your going to the caribbean you need it, Bahamas MAYBE different but I am unsure of this.

Edited by lyndamr

It must have the raised seal...maybe in these days you can get one online and have it expedited.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Raised seal! They may let you on the boat but won't be able to get off at the ports.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

AND

WRONG WRONG WRONG. And birth certificates/passports are not even reviewed at Caribbean ports of call, just your debarkation port as part of re-entry to United States)

----------

It's the 21st century people - raised seals are not used as much anymore and new technology such and heat reactive ink, hologram, etc. are used.

Stop saying it has to be a raised seal or I will come in your dreams and haunt you.

Edited by ZJ13820

I decided to get the exact wording from the Dept of Homeland Security website. See closed loop cruise at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

It states

a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

I always thought it had to be a certified copy but this is not what DHS says.

Carnival, however, states

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.
http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-1394828

Be advised that in any case, not all government agencies issue raised seal copies so the absence of a raised seal does not invalidate the document.

In light of conflicting information, I usually go with the more stringent version

Any birth certificate other than the original is considered a copy. For proof of citizenship purposes it needs to be a certified copy issued by a governmental body ie, city, state or county. Some have raised seals and others have holograms. A Xerox copy is not really sufficient and they wouldn't want to risk being denied boarding.

Depending on where they were born, one can get a certified copy pretty quickly. They can be often be obtained within days from vital chek dot com In my state, Texas, you can go to many of the larger county courthouses and walk out with a certified copy from the clerk for any birth that took place in Texas.

Edited by DebJ14

Any birth certificate other than the original is considered a copy. For proof of citizenship purposes it needs to be a certified copy issued by a governmental body ie, city, state or county. Some have raised seals and others have holograms. A Xerox copy is not really sufficient and they wouldn't want to risk being denied boarding.

Depending on where they were born, one can get a certified copy pretty quickly. They can be often be obtained within days from vital chek dot com In my state, Texas, you can go to many of the larger county courthouses and walk out with a certified copy from the clerk for any birth that took place in Texas.

I ordered my certified copy (long form) online and it arrived in less than 2 weeks, which I thought was pretty speedy. I think it was only 8 days to be exact...I remember being confused on how it arrived so quickly since I thought it would take longer.

I have sailed with a copy. Yes, a copy of my original birth certificate. I literally put it on the copy machine, and that is what I went with.

No questions were asked by anybody. I am sailing in April with my niece, and all she has is a copy, I submitted it to carnival for review, and they said it was fine. Also, when I went with my copy I had no problem getting off the ship they didn't ask for it getting on or off. I went to the carribean.:cool:

Edited by rochellehorton

I ordered a long copy of my birth certificate from Florida.

It took six weeks.

If I had needed it for a cruise, I guess I would have taken a road trip to the city of my birth. :)

Many people think that they have a valid birth certificate and what they actually have is a hospital certificate or a copy.

My DH used a hospital certificate for most of his life.

He had no idea, but a trip to the health department and ten bucks got him a "real" one. :)

I think the important thing is that they have a copy of their birth record as recorded with the county in which they were born. Not a certificate provided by the hospital for decorative purposes. The official copy is usually referred to a long form birth certificate. You will never have your hands on the original. It is usually recorded and retained by the county or district where it is recorded.

I would say better safe than sorry and if they currently live in the state they were born to go to the nearest records office and see what can be done. If they don't Vital Check might be the best option, though can cost a bunch! I had to use it when I moved back to the state I was first licensed in. Cost me about $50 but I got it in 5 days.

Yes while people even here have said they have had no problems, if it is something easily fixed (especially if they are in their birth state) is it worth the risk to be denied boarding.

Also remember no matter what Carnival says on the matter, they aren't the ones who decide what is okay and what isn't. Customs is the ones who decide. They do have a phone number you can call and ask which is 1-877-CBP-5511which answers from 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm EST.

It can't hurt but a few hours of time to be really sure!

Consider this a lesson to everyone that surprising someone with a cruise with only a week to spare can backfire on you. Most people don't even know where their BC's are, at least these 2 have copies.

Hope they are able to get on the boat. I second the idea to get a passport, but with so little time, the cost to have that expedited will be through the roof!

Have them go online and get an expedited certified copy sent to them to be on the safe side. But the raised seal isn't true.....mine doesn't have a raised seal and it is absolutely an official certified copy straight from the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

they will actually be fine with the copies. literal copies from a copy machine.

for all promoting the doom and gloom of not having a raised seal, this that or the other thing... then how exactly is it, that they will accept a faxed or emailed copy at the terminal for boarding, IF THEY DON'T ACCEPT COPIES? they accept copies.

I do believe if your going to the caribbean you need it, Bahamas MAYBE different but I am unsure of this.

Many states have gone the route of having a watermark on the paper instead of a raised seal.

Bill

Do they still live in the same place he was born? If so, you can find a place in your county that will give you an official copy the same day. We did that recently and it cost less than $20. My husband only waited a bit and got the official copy in hand with a raised seal for one of my kids. No need to order online...unless they moved.

Oceanlover I just realized that, I guess as long as it was from the department of records, makes sense as everything changes from day to day, thanks.

RTRMom is correct if the passenger still lives in the same place as when they were born or around that area you can get it the same day.

I had they same dilema on my last cruise with Carnival (Freedom June 14) and my PVP (personal vacation planner) Alex told me all I need is a legible photo copy and valid photo ID. And he was right!!! So from now on unless I need to renew my passport that's what I will be sailing with. If you need any help you can call him he is always really helpful with things like this and much more. Plus he works directly for Carnival so it's straight from the horse's mouth. Here is his info I hope this helped. 1-800-819-3902 ext 85753

They will take copies, or at least they will in Galveston. I actually left one of my kids passports at home and we had nothing. I was able to call a family friend, have them go to our house, take a picture of the birth certificate on their phone and that was accepted to get on the ship. We never had to produce the copy or the certificate again.

I have sailed with a copy. Yes, a copy of my original birth certificate. I literally put it on the copy machine, and that is what I went with.

No questions were asked by anybody. I am sailing in April with my niece, and all she has is a copy, I submitted it to carnival for review, and they said it was fine. Also, when I went with my copy I had no problem getting off the ship they didn't ask for it getting on or off. I went to the carribean.:cool:

Same thing here. Inspected by terminal security, at check-in and by CBP at disembarkation and no one said a word.

Same thing here. Inspected by terminal security, at check-in and by CBP at disembarkation and no one said a word.

Yet the myth of the raised seal continues and continues and............it just doesn't die.

Edited by fuddrules