Am I missing something?

Glinda39

Very informative thread. Some useful perspectives. Am trying to pick out a cruise in November and this has helped. Ty all.

Question, would sailings around Nov 7 be 'off season?'

Yes, although DCL does not officially define seasons, most experienced cruisers would define Nov. 7 as "off season." In addition, it is after the Halloween themed cruises and before the Christmas holidays are in full swing. You should expect to see good prices and possibly specials at this time of year if previous years can be a reliable indicator.

I really don't understand the $8,000????? figure. I just confirmed with my daughter, she and her family, a total of 4, are doing a Fantasy, large porthole, 7 day western next September for $3,600.

I do think there are many other options.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

My daughters family of 4 are taking a cruise in April on Magic. 7 nights in a Family Veranda (which sleeps 5) total price $5,800. Had we gone a month earlier during spring break the price would have been $2800 higher. Taking kids out of school instead! How do I know the price??? I paid for this trip as a Christmas gift :)

I really don't understand the $8' date='000????? figure. I just confirmed with my daughter, she and her family, a total of 4, are doing a Fantasy, large porthole, 7 day western next September for $3,600.

I do think there are many other options.

AKK[/quote']

Really? I've never heard of such cheap cruise for a 7 day cruise for DCL...even if off season. When we priced it out for off season, we were looking at about $5200. And this was an interior room.

Edited by LuCruise

Really? I've never heard of such cheap cruise for a 7 day cruise for DCL...even if off season. When we priced it out for off season, we were looking at about $5200. And this was an interior room.

If you book as soon as the new dates come out, it is FAR less costly than the prices I'm seeing now. There are some special restricted rates available, but those are the only fall "deals" right now. If you can plan far ahead, you can nail good rates. Of course, there is no risk to reserving a far off cruise--as long as you are before the penalty date, you can cancel for a full refund.

I have seen it so I believe it ... Most likely IGT, OGT or VGT. The lowest IGT I have seen for 4 people on 7 nights Disney Fantasy for this past January sailing was about $3100.

But I do agree with you that I have never "heard" of it ... As I suspect by the time I heard from someone this kind of a deal is already gone.

I have seen it so I believe it ... Most likely IGT, OGT or VGT. The lowest IGT I have seen for 4 people on 7 nights Disney Fantasy for this past January sailing was about $3100.

But I do agree with you that I have never "heard" of it ... As I suspect by the time I heard from someone this kind of a deal is already gone.

Wow...well that's an awesome deal. So basically it seems either book right when new dates are released, or chance it for the last minute deals.

Wow...well that's an awesome deal. So basically it seems either book right when new dates are released, or chance it for the last minute deals.

As an example, a VGT (verandah GTY) for 2 people Disney Fantasy April 25th sailing is selling for $1097 pp plus tax/fee now. Not deep discount rate but quite comparable to the price of a mini-suite on Norwegian Getaway sailing on the same weekend.

It's a treat to sail with DCL. I'd only done Carnival and enjoyed it, but now that I've sailed with DCL, I'm afraid my standards have gone up. Headed to Europe June 13 to sail with the Disney Magic so thanks for that pack list Ducklite, lol. I also travel with one roll on bag and it does take planning!

Good news is, they have fun things in the ships store if I get bored with what I packed!

I've discovered these brands that I like for easy washing in the room... Kuhl, Toad&Co, REI and Edie Bauer. All have great pieces that dry quickly and don't all look like they were designed for a 20 something backpackers!

So, bottom line, there are reasons to pay more IF those reasons are in line with your values. DCL's are in line with mine.

It's a treat to sail with DCL. I'd only done Carnival and enjoyed it, but now that I've sailed with DCL, I'm afraid my standards have gone up. Headed to Europe June 13 to sail with the Disney Magic so thanks for that pack list Ducklite, lol. I also travel with one roll on bag and it does take planning!

Good news is, they have fun things in the ships store if I get bored with what I packed!

I've discovered these brands that I like for easy washing in the room... Kuhl, Toad&Co, REI and Edie Bauer. All have great pieces that dry quickly and don't all look like they were designed for a 20 something backpackers!

So, bottom line, there are reasons to pay more IF those reasons are in line with your values. DCL's are in line with mine.

You do know that DCL has self service laundries on all ships. $2 wash, $2 dry, $1 products (I usually bring my own products). Very easy.

Yep, know about the ships laundry and I get the "I'm on VACATiON" attitude and don't want to spend any time there, lol.

With young kids or big families, my attitude might not work, but mine is 21 now and has learned to pack light as well. In fact, it runs in the family. We had 5 people travel to Australia for three weeks in a roll aboards and backpacks and most laundry was done in the sinks. I think we did 4 loads via machine's the whole trip. I enjoy the challenge of finding things that look great, dry quick and avoid the laundry hassle, and I still manage to have something for formal night. My biggest hurdle is shoes!!!

When I'm at WDW instead of the ships, are on DVC properties and it's easy, the laundry is in the room! I tend to let down my pack light standard a bit. But when I have multiple fights (which is often coming from Colorado) or multiple stops on holiday, it's either wash it in the shower/sink and hang to dry, or pay someone to do it. Of course if the Hubby and adult kids wanta take up the task, that's a different story...

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather do laundry in a laundry room with a machine (and relax in my cabin or in a lounge while waiting for it to be done) than hand wash in the sink! I'd consider hand-washing far more work!

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather do laundry in a laundry room with a machine (and relax in my cabin or in a lounge while waiting for it to be done) than hand wash in the sink! I'd consider hand-washing far more work!

Can I share the trick to hand washing, lol... you only do one or two items of your own pieces and can do them while you are in the shower, or take 5 minutes before you go to bed. You can use the body wash or shampoo, don't have to carry detergent. I spent year's traveling for business and learned the value of 'less is more'. "Take half as many clothes as you think you need and twice as much money". Try it sometime, there is nothing stressful or 'work' at all. It doesn't work with jeans, heavy cotton or anything that you suspect needs to flop in a dryer. I have a 'travel' wardrobe for this reason. Make's my flights easier, transport easier and I always have room for any shopping. I'm either out enjoying my day or sleeping when my clothes are drying. Just a different way of doing things, but if you have kids, forget it till they are grown, you are going to the laundry, lol!

We're booked on the RCCL's Freedom of the Seas for late August of this year. We were originally booked on DCL's Fantasy for the week before. They are identical Western Caribbean itneraries (just subbing out each lines private island). The cost of the Fantasy (we're 2A, 2C) was $5700 when booked last August whilst onboard the Fantasy (and would cost $6900 if booked today!). We have since moved that reservation to a 4-night on the Magic in Feb 2016. The cost of the Freedom of the Seas is $2,800 - so less than half that of the Fantasy. We have also added 6 nights in WDW prior to the Freedom cruise. The combined 6-night WDW stay and 7-night Freedom cruise is less than the 7-night Fantasy cruise alone (although, total may go slightly higher than the Fantasy cruise after adding in the meals at WDW). We are "Disney people" and love DCL. In fact, we are absolutely willing to pay a premium for DCL over other lines...like maybe a 20 up to even 50% premium. However, we are not willing to pay a 100% (or higher - it's 140% for these cruises if booked today) premium, as we enjoy Royal Caribbean also.

Edited by mcd2745