Carnival vs NCL crusei yuo may have taken

pajazz28

I've done Norwegian 4 times and Carnival 14 times. I've been on big and small ships on both. I give Carnival the very slight edge based on a couple of things. Number one for me is, I can drive to Galveston and jump on one. I think NCL may be coming here too, so that might change for me....but I doubt it. My other thing is I need the shorter itineraries for my work/life schedule.

Anyway...what you want to know about:

FOOD:

I can honestly say that I thought the food in NCL's MDR was perfectly good and the buffet was fine as well. No issues with Carnival's either though they have less choices on buffet. I'm kind of surprised at all the negativity on that. I like having the option of the pay restaurants, but think Carnival's steakhouse beats the pants off of NCL's pay offerings...but NCL has more choices, comparable prices...so, depends what you're looking for. NCL also has O'Shehan's, which I adore. But I like that kind of pub food a lot. If you don't, maybe you wouldn't be so impressed.

ENTERTAINMENT:

I don't care for the production shows and can honestly say that in nearly 20 cruises I have not stepped foot in a single one. No interest. None. I do think the comedy on Carnival is much better. But again, Carnival's comedians tend to be a bit more sophomoric in their humor, which I love.

ATMOSPHERE:

This is the thing I cannot put my finger on, exactly. I have a great time and meet tons of people on either line...but there is just something about Carnival that is friendlier. Not that Norwegian is bad at all. I really can't explain it. My kids will tell you the same thing. Overall, they prefer the experience of a Carnival cruise.

I will sail both again. I don't see how you'd be unhappy with Norwegian if you like Carnival OK. They really are more alike than different.

Happy Sails!

Once, Norwegian Dawn.

THEY called it "free style" - I called it nickel and dimed

THEY said we would have to reserve to eat in the "included" (read, didn't cost extra) dining - WE couldn't get a reservation for any of them until after 9:30pm - I guess others knew. The MDR BORING - same menu every day!

THEY called it "self assist" for debarkation - we called it MAYHAM as 90% of the passengers wanted to use it.

The "White Party" - a blast, but we didn't know about it before setting sail -

Their cabins - no noticeable difference -

THEIR pool area - terraced and spacious - the best pool area I've been on, any ship, any line.

Would we do it again?

NO!

Never been on the Dawn but, on the Norwegian ships I've been on the menu is not the same everyday. There are a few selections that are always available, no different than other cruise lines, but there are also several different selections each day. The reservation process for the DR has changed and reservations can be made in advance if you choose to do so. You are not limited to specific times.

I would have to agree about the self assist debarkation. When everyone wants to leave at the same time its chaos. We did it once and won't again.

As far as feeling "nickel and dimed", why? There are more choices in alternate dining but I can't think of anything else that's so different.

I've only been on 2 Carnival ships and they were 2 of the oldest in the fleet. I didn't see much difference in the food although I thought the buffet on most of the NCL ships I'd experience was better. The entertainment on NCL was also superior. I'm looking forward to the Valor in a couple of months. Perhaps that will be a fairer comparison.

We have sailed CCL 6x, NCL 3x, DCL 2x, and Princess 1x. My favorite line is Disney but I can say that I will probably not sail on them again until I have Grandkids to spoil and make it worth the cost. DH would say out of the rest he prefers CCL, NCL, and finally Princess. For me the order is slightly different with NCL, CCL, and I agree with Princess last.

Here is my opinion on the differences between NCL and CCL...I can't offer an opinion on RCCL since I have not sailed on them yet:

Rooms: Balcony and below - Carnival. Much more room and comfort. I can't offer an opinion on other room types since we have only sailed inside to balcony rooms.

Food: DH prefers Carnival. IMHO Carnival is better when it comes to MDR (better choices) and deserts. NCL is better when it comes to the buffet (better choices). I feel they are equal in their included free specialty restaurants like Carnival's Deli and Fish & Chips and NCL's Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans. NCL has more choices when it comes to Specialty pay restaurants (love Moderno's).

Freestyle and Anytime are pretty similar though I do give the edge to NCL Freestyle in having a specific restaurants with a higher dress code vs Carnival with specific days with a higher dress code.

Service: Equal. We've had great, good and not so great on both lines.

Entertainment. NCL better production shows. CCL better comedy. One of the reasons DH like CCL better :D and I give the edge to NCL :p.

Everything else is pretty equal. NCL's Bingo does cost a bit more though if you are into that. We have enjoyed our cruises on both cruiselines. We currently have another booked on CCL for April and we are looking at booking another one in December with the family....CCL is currently the front runner on that one too based on our timing and embarkation port/itinerary we are looking at. We have a FCC to use on NCL so I know we will be sailing on them too with in the next 4 years. The best way to find out if you will like a ship is to find the one that has the options that interest you the most and try it.

Edited by Warm Breezes