Elation:Old School Cruising

KatieCharlotte

Just back from the Elation. Goat cheese and mushroom pizza. Need I say more? Sure, my kids love the flash and glamour of a huge ship with a ropes course, but I loved the classic Elation. Old style, real pizza. I was about to cry when I tasted the goat cheese, which took me back to my first cruise on the Sensation. The sky-lighted, tacky and overdone yet gorgeous atrium. Good, excellent, and hideous live music, including the show band and an amazing blues concert at midnight. The Serenity deck on the back of the ship, where it belongs, protected from the wind and providing a perfect view and blend of sun and shade.

Plenty of sporty entertainment for families: the Lido pool with a simple waterslide, a wading pool and mid-depth pool for the kids, multiple hot tubs at different temperatures, basketball and volleyball courts, giant chess, shuffleboard, mini golf, and ping pong.

Sure, there were some very minor things I would change and there are fewer evening entertainment choices on a smaller ship. But there will always be a place for the old style ships. The only 2.0 upgrade I missed was the Blue Iguana Cantina at lunch, and that was a small price to pay for old-style pizza.

.... If only I was back in the club, at 80s night, still partying like it's 1999. :D

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I was so happy to read your post. We are sailing the Elation for Spring Break and I've been a little nervous because our last two cruises were on Conquest class ships. I've been worried we would be disappointed in the smaller ship. We sailed Sensation for our first cruise and loved it, so am hoping we love the Elation as well.

Do you happen to know what night the Chef's table was held during your sailing?

Thank you!:)

I remember walking by, seeing it set up in the Library off the atrium, but I can't remember which night, except that it was not the last. I'm sorry!

Does anyone have any other questions?

Just back from the Elation. Goat cheese and mushroom pizza. Need I say more? Sure, my kids love the flash and glamour of a huge ship with a ropes course, but I loved the classic Elation. Old style, real pizza. I was about to cry when I tasted the goat cheese, which took me back to my first cruise on the Sensation. The sky-lighted, tacky and overdone yet gorgeous atrium. Good, excellent, and hideous live music, including the show band and an amazing blues concert at midnight. The Serenity deck on the back of the ship, where it belongs, protected from the wind and providing a perfect view and blend of sun and shade.

Plenty of sporty entertainment for families: the Lido pool with a simple waterslide, a wading pool and mid-depth pool for the kids, multiple hot tubs at different temperatures, basketball and volleyball courts, giant chess, shuffleboard, mini golf, and ping pong.

Sure, there were some very minor things I would change and there are fewer evening entertainment choices on a smaller ship. But there will always be a place for the old style ships. The only 2.0 upgrade I missed was the Blue Iguana Cantina at lunch, and that was a small price to pay for old-style pizza.

.... If only I was back in the club, at 80s night, still partying like it's 1999. :D

Never understood the "Party like it's 1999" thing !- the new millennium didn't start until 2001.

Never understood the "Party like it's 1999" thing !- the new millennium didn't start until 2001.

"Party like it's 2001" just wouldn't be a very catchy song. ;) We were partying like it was 1999, before children and mortgages and falling asleep watching TV at 10 p.m.

Although this cruise was kids free, I liked the kid-friendly areas on Deck 11 with plenty to do, more than I remember being on the Sensation. I also enjoyed that area as a nice place to relax on a lounger away from the Lido noise on the rare occasions the Serenity was full. The hot tub up there was lukewarm, presumably for the kids, but the two Lido and two Serenity hot tubs were plenty warm.

You should have been on her when she was new. I was on it when she was 3 months old and had:

Assigned server for all three meals

Self serve station of oranges and a juicer on lido

French made butter served with bread

Cocktail party on first night with every bar giving out free drinks

Too many things to list for old school cruise...