Any experience with lost and found?

GrandBistro

We were on the Summit for the January 10 sailing. When we got home, I realized I had left a small jewelry pouch in the cabin. It's black, and I think I just looked right past it while packing.

I sent an email to lost and found, as directed on the website, with sailing dates, cabin number, and a detailed description but it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything - not even a reply that acknowledged my message.

Has anyone else had luck in recovering items left onboard? Is it a matter of me being more diligent, or do I just wait for them to respond?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We were on the Summit for the January 10 sailing. When we got home, I realized I had left a small jewelry pouch in the cabin. It's black, and I think I just looked right past it while packing.

I sent an email to lost and found, as directed on the website, with sailing dates, cabin number, and a detailed description but it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything - not even a reply that acknowledged my message.

Has anyone else had luck in recovering items left onboard? Is it a matter of me being more diligent, or do I just wait for them to respond?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Maybe check the rencent roll calls and ask if they would be willing to check the onboard lost and found. I think that may be your best bet. I never got my expensive handbag/tote back and I called moments after I left the ship, told them exactly were I left it and was told it goes to lost and found for future cruises to borrow when luggage doesn't make it to the ship AND isn't a nice thing they do for my fellow cruisers. I was like :eek: Yes, a nice thing to do, but maybe not with more expensive items. I would have gladly sent them 10 handbags if they would have sent mine back to me.

Edited by 20pluscruises

On debarkation day, left my jacket on the back of the chair I was sitting on. I noticed as soon as I got to the airport and immediately called Celebrity.

Jacket had a Unique logo on it. Told them exactly where I left it.

Poor communication from Celebrity, Jacket never found.

Worth a call to Celebrity as they do have a dept that handles this and I was able to talk to them. Good luck, hope it isn't too valuable ($ wise or sentimental).

Call the Corporate Office and ask to speak with person in charge of Lost and Found. My husband had an expensive pocket knife held when we checked in - he completely forgot he was carrying it.

He was given a voucher for it to pick up at the end of the cruise. We never made it to the end of the cruise due to an injury onboard. We tried for over two months to get that knife back. We finally

received it. Be persistent. Hope you get your lost item back.

Denise

Celebrity was very helpful in trying to locate the lost item.

On debarkation day, left my jacket on the back of the chair I was sitting on. I noticed as soon as I got to the airport and immediately called Celebrity.

Jacket had a Unique logo on it. Told them exactly where I left it.

Poor communication from Celebrity, Jacket never found.

Worth a call to Celebrity as they do have a dept that handles this and I was able to talk to them. Good luck, hope it isn't too valuable ($ wise or sentimental).

On our last cruise, my wife left an expensive hoodie in the closet. We had just arrived back at our place in Ft Laud when she realized that the item was forgotten. Drove back to the port, and she went in to see the X reps. She was told that clothing left is disposed of. We had just disembarked, so I told her to go back in and ask them to check the cabin. The shirt appeared shortly at the desk.

I left a stole at the Martini Bar very late one evening, went to Guest Relations next morning and again before end of cruise - no stole:( IMO staff finding stuff during the cruise would be very likey to hand it in, so culprit was most likely a fellow passenger. On the other hand stuff left in cabin after disembarkation could easily be assumed to be discarded, and therefore less likely to be handed in.

I've had good and bad luck. I left my jacket in the cabin one cruise, called the next day, was told it would have been disposed of. I had two dresses sent to dry cleaning that were never returned, so I forgot about them. I emailed someone onbaord I knew, and then met the ship on a future cruise that was going to be on the same ship in Maine. Dresses recovered, staff member received a nice lobster lunch :D

I've left towel clips and a few other things at the pool on occasion, when you first ask, they will tell you it all went to lost and found, if I am persistent and they look, it is usually by the pool in a closet.

Finally, we thought we lost some jewelry in a hotel once. I called and tried to recover, and called as we "KNEW" we left it. In the end I found it a year later with a souvenir we brought home. It was stuck in the bag with it. Maybe it will turn up, but I am sure you've searched.

I hope you get it back, but I agree, be persistent!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I was on the Dec 2 sailing of the Equinox. When packing to leave I took my wallet out of the safe and told my partner to take my DL and CC out of my seapass holder and put them in my wallet. That was the last I ever saw of that wallet. I try not to blame my other half, as he had a double brain tumor ( now under control) several years ago. He has a poor memory, and I have to keep a sharp eye on his finances. I called Celebrity three times to check lost and found, they said they had the cabin searched. Alas, no wallet. I had the CC's changed and had to get all the rest replaced. As far as I can tell no one used any cards. But I imagine my SS card would be handy for someone. Oh well next time leave all but a few CC at home.

We were cleaning out the cabin safe once, to disembark. As we usually do, I ran my hand along the front rim under the door because some safes has a ledge there. I found a custom made gold ring that had a very old silver dollar coin as the head of the ring. We took it to the front desk and turned it into the purser behind the desK and told him our cabin number and such. There was no telling how long that ring was in the safe since it was hidden from view. However, the purser put the ring in his shirt pocket and thanked me. I told him that he needed to write down the cabin number and then be sure to turn it in. He looked at me and smiled, 'I will' he says. I do not know if he did or not in the end. Hope your item shows up.

Edited by Cruisin'Lady

I was on the Dec 2 sailing of the Equinox. When packing to leave I took my wallet out of the safe and told my partner to take my DL and CC out of my seapass holder and put them in my wallet. That was the last I ever saw of that wallet. I try not to blame my other half, as he had a double brain tumor ( now under control) several years ago. He has a poor memory, and I have to keep a sharp eye on his finances. I called Celebrity three times to check lost and found, they said they had the cabin searched. Alas, no wallet. I had the CC's changed and had to get all the rest replaced. As far as I can tell no one used any cards. But I imagine my SS card would be handy for someone. Oh well next time leave all but a few CC at home.

Never, never carry your social security card or any piece of information that has your SS number on it. :eek: Medicare cards are a really good example. You're opening the door for identify theft.

On FOTS, I found an empty (but nice) piece of luggage under the bed. I reported it tot he cabin steward and posted about it at cruise critic when i returned. Can't imagine how someone left the ship without their luggage!

On Reflection, my son lost a kid's book. He left at the buffet. We made it back tot he cabin when he realized this. We rushed straight back and it was gone. I asked all the servers in the area and they said it would have been taken to lost and found if it were found (but no one recalls finding it). We went twice to guest services but his book was never turned in. Relatively inexpensive item to lose onboard, but I can't imagine who would have taken a kid's book?

Last year on Constellation, when I cleaned out the safe, I found a ring. It might not be very expensive but had been worn for a long time. I felt sad for the owner. I turned the ring to the Customer Relation. He put the ring in an envelope, wrote down the cabin number and voyage number and seal the envelope. I also asked their lost and found policy. He said they do have procedure to follow. Clothing, bags, personal items such as glasses, and wearable items regardless of the value found on the voyage would be discarded at debarkation port. Jewelery, cameras, electronics would be sent to Miami office.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a phone call from Celebrity today. After reviewing my email, they compared the items I described to the items on their lost & found log, and they found a match! They needed a credit card number to cover the FedEx shipping charges, and expect that I'll have my jewelry back in about a week.:)

They said that the detail in my email was really helpful in making the match - so if you do need to contact lost & found, the more information you can give them, the better.

Happy cruising!

I got a phone call from Celebrity today. After reviewing my email, they compared the items I described to the items on their lost & found log, and they found a match! They needed a credit card number to cover the FedEx shipping charges, and expect that I'll have my jewelry back in about a week.:)

They said that the detail in my email was really helpful in making the match - so if you do need to contact lost & found, the more information you can give them, the better.

Happy cruising!

Great news! I have seen on more than one occasion that when a message board member posts about finding a lost item, it gets reunited. It is amazing how many folks are on this site and the ability to connect. So just another place to post when you lose something.

There was one story when a person found an engagement ring in the safe and was able to get it to the owner using this website.

• Like 1