Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

A short, uneventful video of us leaving St Thomas

And later with it far behind

16428400085_332155dfe0_c.jpg[/url]

16240998400_8ea40228bd_c.jpg

There was a show in the Princess Theater at 7 pm-Colors of the World and Carol would be there for that. I would pop in to see if it was my cup of tea.

We had dinner for 7 booked in the Michaelangelo at 8.30 p.m and then following that we would visit Explorers to listen to some karaoke. A typical night out on the Ruby.

As it was Formal Night the photographers would be out in force and one could exit an elevator in the Piazza and find a romantic photo shoot going on.

We stopped by the photo gallery each day and found some pictures worth buying as momentos. As well as 8 X 10 prints we got the photos on thumb drives.

16448823402_3e817ccf24_c.jpg

16263869647_2e06c8d676_c.jpg

I had hoped to sail the Royal Princess 10 day itinerary this coming April. Unfortunately, the timing did not work with the rest of our schedule. In trying to find a compromise between some islands I haven't visited yet and our scheduling needs, I came up with the Independence of the Seas (Freedom class) cruise we will be sailing at the end of April. As one aft cabin lover to another, I will be able to tell you how bad those big white metal beams actualy are. I am hoping they will just sort of disappear as we look out in between them. The pictures I have found taken from our balcony look like we will be OK. At any rate we will be visiting 3 of 4 ports that are new to us. I am sure we will have a great time. :D

Nancy

I never miss a sail way by the Independence of the Seas. A mighty vessel indeed.

Would you be likely to review your cruise on the Royal board? I spend a lot of time over there as there are some great reviewers with superb photos (Gambee, Little Miss Magic, Sinppu (sp?) Harryfat1, to name just a few)

Sailing on a different line with some new ports can't be a bad thing.

Once we have Elite cards in hand (just in case they move the goalposts at some point) we can think about different lines.

By the time we get off the Emerald in Barcelona we will be at 13 points.....

Norris

Was the St. John excursion booked through the ship or on your own? I'd report the false advertising to the shore ex desk and ask for partial reimbursement for missing part of your time on St. John due to going over to Crown Bay.

Thank you for continuing to entertain us with your stories, pictures, and videos.

Was the St. John excursion booked through the ship or on your own? I'd report the false advertising to the shore ex desk and ask for partial reimbursement for missing part of your time on St. John due to going over to Crown Bay.

Thank you for continuing to entertain us with your stories, pictures, and videos.

Susie it was a Princess Excursion, booked through the Personalizer in advance.

We didn't feel strongly enough about it to raise a fuss on the ship. I just let Princess know about it in the survey.The land part of it was fantastic but the boat part was in the hands of the stoned surfer dude and I detailed his unprofessionalism in the survey. Crown bay was a complete surprise.

More stories, pictures and videos coming right up!

Norris

I did step into the Princess Theater early in the show. The lights had already gone down and Carol was one of those silhouetted heads in the dark.

I recorded one song to give you the gist. The LED screen is an amazing tool for backdrops but the taped music is a let down for LIVE music lovers like me and Carol. No doubt a money-saver in the long run.

The song should be familiar to most. It was used on the Ocean Princess as we were leaving Venice and I imagine every cruise line plays it sailing down the Guideca Canal.

It was a 30 minute show and here are two of those minutes...

Norris

As usual, with a reservation for Anytime Dining we were ushered into the Michaelangelo Dining Room on time even though two of our party hadn't arrived yet-Andy and Ken. After 10 minutes at the table and calls to their room we figured they would be no-shows and we figured correctly. More room for me to lay my cameras on the table.

So- a party of 5 not 7

16241378580_05639da91b_c.jpg[/url]

I started with a Thai vegetarian wrap

16242533529_5ce02cc86b_c.jpg

Carol's Tian of Crab-tastes as good as it looks

16427840862_e0eff80ecc_c.jpg

We both had soup- I think it was Roasted Tomato (?)

16242879547_71fdf9c5f2_c.jpg

I can never resist Veal Ravioli

16242536319_cc74b0f918_c.jpg

Thank you so much for the pics. We are on the CB in a couple of weeks and your pictures transport me right there. I've asked this on several other threads but do you know if the observation area above the bridge (accessed all the way forward on Lido deck through cabin country) is open for sailaways?

Thank you so much for the pics. We are on the CB in a couple of weeks and your pictures transport me right there. I've asked this on several other threads but do you know if the observation area above the bridge (accessed all the way forward on Lido deck through cabin country) is open for sailaways?

I would check the Port Everglades webcam sail away archive for the CB.

I have only stood up there on the Diamond Princess leaving Vancouver. Most recently on the Ruby that area seemed to be roped off all the time. I imagine it depends on the Captain. Check the archive video- I hope it shows people up there as it's a great view-point although windy.

Thanks for following my report!

Norris

I just checked 3 weeks of sail aways for the CB and each time (Jan 31 through Feb 14) passengers were on the roof of the bridge-approx 50 people up there on Feb 14 .

Looks like you can have your wish!

Enjoy.

Norris

I really enjoyed your Saint John photos. We did the Trunk Bay excursion once. I think if we ever go back we would do the island tour instead. I'm a National Park geek, and would like to see more of the Park than just Trunk Bay. The Annaberg Sugar Plantation looks especially interesting to me.

I really enjoyed your Saint John photos. We did the Trunk Bay excursion once. I think if we ever go back we would do the island tour instead. I'm a National Park geek, and would like to see more of the Park than just Trunk Bay. The Annaberg Sugar Plantation looks especially interesting to me.

The excursion I would have liked to have done was an Eco-Hike through the park followed by a beach break but the hiking over rough ground might not have suited Carol. I am up for anything.

At some point if we repeat these islands we may do separate excursions as I am always attracted to the Scuba diving on St Thomas and the horse riding in St Maarten (or anywhere there is a horse) as those are both thrilling adventures for me which I haven't done in years. Carol is reluctant to do either.

SCUBA tanks are extremely heavy until you get the support of the water and horse riding can lead to injury if you let him get out of control or can't hold on at a gallop (which is the best part)

St John though is one of those "look forward to going back to places" although a 7 am to 4 pm doesn't give one much time. Oh for an Azamara overnight in St Thomas!! I see Azamara in my future at some point.

We are also National Park Geeks but have done a poor job of seeing many so far.

Grand Canyon several times including a great overnight stay but the surface has only been scratched. Wyoming calls. Yosemite calls etc

Norris

Norris,

More delish food shots. Wonder where I can get Beef Wellinton now or do I reall have to wait until our cruise in October.

Judy

Judy I only ever see Beef Wellington when we eat at French restaurants (which is maybe twice a year) so anytime I see it on a Princess Menu I have to order it, regardless of the other delights on the list. It's always been good.Worth dressing up on Formal Night!

Norris

Quoth the Raven '404':(

Emperor- Your Highness, which post # is that quote from? Which youtube video is giving you the 404??

Let me know and I'll send one of my research boffins over to youtube to fix it.

Thanks!

Norris

Post 25/page 2, I guess it was a video of your day around the hotel.

Thanks.:D

Thank you for alerting me. I go back through my uploads from time to time and I see the video there and people viewing it but that link is indeed a stinker. Sorry about that!

Try this

BTW I really enjoyed your photos of the Seabourn Pride ( I love small ships).

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris… what a great post, super enjoyable with fantastic pictures!!! I have been following this thread for a while but after you mentioned St. John, National Parks, and Wagner I had to reply.

I spent a great 10 days on the Ruby in Dec 09 and like you much prefer the Grand class - just off the Royal (second time due to the itinerary) and your pictures remind me why we liked the Ruby cruise so much. Keep it up please, will read every word…

St John… We spent a great week there a long time ago (condo above Cruz Bay, Jeep to avoid hitchhiking) – what a vacation! Next time you are in the area skip the cruise tour, take a taxi to Red Hook as soon as the ship docks, shorter ride across with no surfer dude, and then taxi it to Trunk Bay. The two pictures below is what you will see before the cruise crowds get there (you took your overlook shots from the left top section of the first one). You can then do a short hike through the park at your leisure and taxi it back to Cruz.

National Parks… You mentioned Wyoming… DW and I vacation in Grand Teton every summer, our favorite (Zion a close second). Besides the great hiking, the best of the NPs in my opinion, there is the GT Music Festival. Since you like Opera and Classical music… small hall with great acoustics and top musicians from all over the World, even the CSO… The only thing that will beat it is Bayreuth… Hope you get your tickets but since you have been there already the GTMF would not be too shabby! The third picture below is my laptop wallpaper, Jenny Lake in the Tetons.

Wagner… OK, picture this… Tristan and Isolde, Houston Grand Opera some years back, 5 hours, 3 acts, 2 intermissions, as you well know… Went straight from work on a Friday, early start of course, met DW there. After first act we left the hall, went to an Italian restaurant a block away, nice dinner and wine, returned back to the hall as the third act was about to start, the best part of Tristan in my opinion!!! Wagner however has not forgiven us, has not spoken to us since!!! Maybe you can put a word in for us while in Bayreuth…

Seriously, many thanks and keep it coming... :):):)

TrunkBay1_zps44012229.jpg

TrunkBay2_zpsdaf1ec66.jpg

GrandTeton_zps599ae678.jpg

IMG_1359.JPG

This was the home of karaoke on the Ruby. It also hosted the art auctions, some dancing to the Ruby Princess orchestra among others and I walked past a talk on Navigation at Sea in progress.

We have been used to having karaoke in the aft lounge- Club Fusion but it wasn't used for that on this sailing.

Last time we were on the Ruby we saw some stand-up comedians in Explorers but there were none on this cruise. Hard to believe or fathom.

It's a beautiful room though and one you'll walk past many times as it's on Promenade deck 7 right by the Photo Gallery.

15835432994_c7b5fd8402_c.jpg[/url]

16457965295_3d3385b8ab_c.jpg

16457966745_7c6898aa57_c.jpg

16448822432_30b9f95f19_c.jpg

It's notable for it's exotic artwork

I can tell you they don't look like that right now. Lol beautiful non the less. Live just over the hill and a little north on the idaho side. Can see the top of grand Teton from my porch

Come se us sometime in summer. Sorry Norris for the side track.

Dalene

16448822992_4be2831b05_c.jpg

IMG_0501.JPG

Does this look cosy, or what?

IMG_0503.JPG

Explorers is open at the sides so that people walking by can see what's going on there. On nights when the comedians were on (Ruby 2013) the room was packed and people were using the comfy chairs across the corridor by the windows onto the sea. This was Billy Highgate's first week as CD on the Ruby so I can't blame him for the lack of comedians. He's certainly a guy who can tell a good joke and obviously loves to laugh.

I like to see Stand-Up comedy on the ships when I cruise!!

I can tell you they don't look like that right now. Lol beautiful non the less. Live just over the hill and a little north on the idaho side. Can see the top of grand Teton from my porch��

Come se us sometime in summer. Sorry Norris for the side track.

Dalene

Side tracks which mention the Grand Tetons are always welcome!

Jackson Hole- is that the place? We have talked about driving there in the summer and seeing the park. I have a blog called "Drivin' Adair" so needless to say I love long drives and if there's a mountain range and a cosy lodge at the end with good vittles on the table we will be happy campers (but we don't like camping)

Norris, loving your view vicariously!

Hi Norris… what a great post, super enjoyable with fantastic pictures!!! I have been following this thread for a while but after you mentioned St. John, National Parks, and Wagner I had to reply.

I spent a great 10 days on the Ruby in Dec 09 and like you much prefer the Grand class - just off the Royal (second time due to the itinerary) and your pictures remind me why we liked the Ruby cruise so much. Keep it up please, will read every word…

St John… We spent a great week there a long time ago (condo above Cruz Bay, Jeep to avoid hitchhiking) – what a vacation! Next time you are in the area skip the cruise tour, take a taxi to Red Hook as soon as the ship docks, shorter ride across with no surfer dude, and then taxi it to Trunk Bay. The two pictures below is what you will see before the cruise crowds get there (you took your overlook shots from the left top section of the first one). You can then do a short hike through the park at your leisure and taxi it back to Cruz.

National Parks… You mentioned Wyoming… DW and I vacation in Grand Teton every summer, our favorite (Zion a close second). Besides the great hiking, the best of the NPs in my opinion, there is the GT Music Festival. Since you like Opera and Classical music… small hall with great acoustics and top musicians from all over the World, even the CSO… The only thing that will beat it is Bayreuth… Hope you get your tickets but since you have been there already the GTMF would not be too shabby! The third picture below is my laptop wallpaper, Jenny Lake in the Tetons.

Wagner… OK, picture this… Tristan and Isolde, Houston Grand Opera some years back, 5 hours, 3 acts, 2 intermissions, as you well know… Went straight from work on a Friday, early start of course, met DW there. After first act we left the hall, went to an Italian restaurant a block away, nice dinner and wine, returned back to the hall as the third act was about to start, the best part of Tristan in my opinion!!! Wagner however has not forgiven us, has not spoken to us since!!! Maybe you can put a word in for us while in Bayreuth…

Seriously, many thanks and keep it coming... :):):)

Yikes! This caught me off guard...another Wagner enthusiast!!

I once drove some friends on a 500 mile round trip from Berlin to Bayreuth to show them Wagner's house and his grave which is in the back garden. Top speed 140 mph (Mercedes E Class). If there are two things I like it is Wagner and driving and you can add cruising in there too. So three things!!

Tristan is my favorite opera of all time. Act III the summit of MUSIC. I usually have to be carried out of the theater on a stretcher and only a glass of Jameson on the rocks can revive me.

We have visited a couple of Wagner's homes on our travels, including his home in Lucerne. We don't feel this way about any other personality living or dead. We were recently in Venice where he died and paid our respects quietly.

I would skip the cruise tour to St John next time most definitely as it was too short and I saw those beaches from high on a hill. I would need a recommendation for a beach that has (a) rum drinks and (b) hot food available.

I swim like a dolphin (including the high pitched squeaks but I'm seeing a Doctor)

so liked the look of the calm water in the SJ bays.

I think SJ made the greatest impression on us. Maybe Carol will chime in?

We don't shop for Diamonds. I hate the song Margaritaville so I don't plan to ever step into one. Señor Frog's-not my style.

I want to take my watch off and bury it in the sand while I lay back with a cold rum-soaked beverage and listen to the water lapping gently 10 feet away....

Thanks for popping in and identifying yourself. You have joined the ranks of "people I'd love to sit and have a drink with" and as that list is growing I say let's forget about buying rounds!

Cheers!!

Norris

Norris,

I have been following along and felt it was time to tell you how much I enjoy your pictures and commentary. Your great photography makes me want to get rid of my point and shoot and get a real camera.

We were on the Ruby in Oct. of 2014, NYC to Quebec. Love the ship. Next cruise August 2015, Golden to Alaska.

Thanks again, Norris.