Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

As it was coming up on 5.30 a.m I stopped by the buffet. They were in the process of putting out the hot breakfast dishes so I took some photos of the cold things already laid out. I always get some of the cold meats and cheeses which are the basis of my breakfasts in Europe.

After I took these pics I got a plate of hot foods-bacon and potatoes mainly to supplement the cold meats.

16456242391_95c4e6f920_c.jpg[/url]

16272082807_88159c635c_c.jpg

16270557480_5d4420e638_c.jpg

I think the Horizon Court food on the Ruby was very good indeed and nothing that went on my plate was pushed to the side. Mind you I am not one to overload my plate as I hate to waste food. As well as the food being hot and tasty the moment it leaves the kitchen I think that the room itself is very pleasant and far above the level of a cafeteria. The table already laid with silverware and cups is a good move and a waiter bringing you coffee and juice is a home-run for service.The art that adorns the walls helps to make it a pleasant place to eat, particularly when not crowded.

16272084347_70a28e1e02_c.jpg

16457987275_aec5eb9f44_c.jpg

15837913193_dcbbd1fdd4_c.jpg

These pumps pump life into me in the early morning. Coffee syrup but to me no worse than the majority of coffee I get to taste in the USA.

16431951196_fae58241b4_c.jpg

After a good breakfast it was time to get back out on deck with the cameras.

On the pool deck the water in the pool was on the move-back and forward, not side to side.

16456245891_aa4040ec3d_c.jpg

Ice cream bar (soft serve) and Pizza station. Apparently the Pizza place serves waffles at breakfast time (from 6.30 to 10 a.m) Pizza is served from 11 to 11 and is very good. Thin slice- no deep dish, which is fine by me.

16457994165_8e23fa435c_c.jpg[/url]

At the stern again where I could see glimmers of a sunrise...

15835465624_dfa329861e_c.jpg

15837923333_489d128c48_c.jpg

It looked like a good sunrise was on the horizon....

Hey Norris

Still enjoying the posts. Just wondering if you have a way of posting an example patter or can tell me what movies are playing so far. We leave on Ruby on April 4 for hawaii.

Thanks dalene

Dalene, I am writing in Michigan today so have no way to scan Patters but will list the Movies shown on the Ruby Jan 24 to 29. ( I don't have a copy of the last sea day Patter at hand) I can't imagine the feature films will be the same for an April cruise but here they are;

MUTS

Sat Jan 24

12.00 Rob Thomas Live at Red rocks

1.30 Il Divo: Live at the Greek

2.30 Stevie Wonder:Live at Last

5.00 Maroon 5:Live at Home

7.30 Guardians of the Galaxy

(2nd show at 10.00pm)

Sun Jan 25

10.00 Ferris Bueller's Day Off

3.00 Mamma Mia

5.00 Paul McCartney Good Evening New York City

7.00 Bon Jovi Live in Chicago

9.00 NFL Pro Bowl

Mon Jan 26

10.00 The Princess Bride

3.00 The Proposal

5.00 Cheryl Crowe Live

7.30 The Maze Runner

(2nd show at 10.00 p.m)

Tues Jan 27

1.00 James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater

2.00 Coldplay:Live 2012

3.00 Pavarotti-The Event Live

4.30 Beyonce:Live from Wembley

5.30 Pink:Live in Melbourne

(2nd show of Pink at 7.30)

Weds Jan 28

1.00 Genesis:Invisible Touch

2.00 Billy Joel:Shea Stadium

3.00 The Killers;Live at the Royal Albert Hall

4.00 Take That-Live at Wembley

5.00 Tina Turner:One Last Time in Concert

7.30 The Giver

(2nd show at 10.00 p.m)

Thurs Jan 29

3.30 The Princess Bride

5.30 Muse:A Seaside Rendezvous

7.00 Get On Up

(2nd show at 10.00p.m)

I don't know how anyone could ever complain about lack of things to do on a PCL ship. I saw none of these movies by the way, besides a few seconds as I walked through MUTS on my way somewhere. I watched maybe 5 minutes of the Muse show but the audio and video was a millisecond apart but just enough to ruin it for me.

Still if you like pop videos and laying back with a cocktail watching movies you didn't have to rent, MUTS is a great thing to have on a ship. I prefer it under the STARS vs under the SUN. I think videos of tropical fish or kittens playing with balls of string without sound would be just fine for an after-lunch snoozeathon.

Norris

Thanks. Actually they played the movie Gravity all last year so they might not change much. I agree with you on the kitten with string or better yet a laser pointer. Lol

Well Gravity is a movie I could certainly watch twice on a big screen.

Norris, taking a break to watch the film Theory of Everything so that we will have seen all the nominees for tonight's Oscar show.

I have no idea what the weird post before your's is-the one with the URL link which I can't imagine anyone clicking on....

Gorgeous photos!

Bennie, thanks and I am glad you enjoyed them.

Sunrise and sunsets at sea...no hills or buildings in the way...the start of a new day and in this case our last on board. Sigh.

Thanks for following along.

Norris

I'm loving this thread. Thanks so much for sharing! We don't even have our next cruise booked yet. It's looking like this might be my first cruise-less year in quite a while, so I'm here to vacation vicariously through others!

Thanks Mrs M, I assume your husband is a magician?

Don't have your next cruise booked yet? Do you have an FCC in hand?

Any reason why you haven't got a cruise planned on the horizon? Just need a break from the sea?

Thanks for joining us here!

Norris

As it is our last full day on board the Ruby (that week flew by!) there were some things we had to do apart from have another great breakfast in Da Vinci to supplement my buffet breakfast;

We had to NOT go to the Culinary Demonstration in the Princess theater at 10 a.m as we have done that many times before and it's really just an exercise in bantering between the MD and the Executive Chef and not so much a cooking demo. The time could be better spent in the Sanctuary enjoying the weather and the peace and quiet. We have done galley tours many times too so we weren't concerned about missing that when it follows the Culinary Demo.

We had to go to the Pub Lunch- no question about that. 11.30 to 2p.m in the Wheelhouse Bar.

We had to go to the second Estonian show as we enjoyed the first so much but I'll spare you more videos.

We had to book a table for dinner in the Michaelangelo as it was our last chance to eat as a group.

We had to pack at some point. Doh!! Not happy about that at all.

Would I miss scenes like this?

15808858023_1bfeb0c4f5_c.jpg[/url]

Billy Highgate and his sidekick during the Wake show. He is really a very good talker, very natural and not sickly-sweet or cheesy. I still haven't seen him perform! We were surprised on the night before, at the end of the show, when Billy ran down a list of happenings for our last day at sea, that there would be no International Crew Show on the last night. WHAT??? On the Caribbean Princess on our last Carib cruise there was no show and a member of the Cruise Staff told me it was because they didn't have enough talent to put one on. I raised an eyebrow as any ship that has some Philippinos aboard is rich in talent. Even the little Ocean Princess had a bunch of great singers to wow the crowd with.

16242998337_1284ed66a6_c.jpg

Two empty hot tubs

16427142661_95f0fb0101_c.jpg

Every ship should have an aft pool with a view like this!! Viva Grand Class!!

16427966002_9c8cf7e0ca_c.jpg

Every ship should have an aft pool with a view like this!! Viva Grand Class!!

Agree... This is one of my most favourite places on the ship. We normally book deck 14 aft just to be steps from it. Plus bonuses - a BAR, close to food, and a smoking area! :D

Above Sabatini's and adjacent to the port hot tub is a Kids area (behind this wall) which is a no-go area for uninvited adults-with a combination keypad-a sad reflection of the times we live in. Not many kids on this cruise as they are back in school.

The row of windows at right on the next deck up (deck 18) belong to Skywalker's which is the highest bar on the ship and one of those under-utilized bars like Adagio which make a great place to go during the day if you want to read or knit or do quiet pursuits which don't need to be fueled by alcohol.

15808863013_44526c31a7_c.jpg

Skywalker's is used from 5 to 7 pm for the Elite/Suite and Platinum "happy hour" with munchies. One cocktail becomes "drink of the day" at half price (which makes it $4). Could be a Chairman of the Board or a Cosmopolitan. There will be a food station where maybe nachos and guacamole are served, or some shrimp or some cheese varieties and crackers. Always well done and presented beautifully. I went up once after we left P Cays but they have changed the smoking rules in the starboard corner- no smoking before 10 p.m so I didn't stay.

On other ships this was a time to relax with some other smokers (ventilation is very good) and chit chat.

Skywalker's

16427963412_70b081b6d0_c.jpg

16427140011_1b590c083d_c.jpg

Good view from up here

15806393504_4e0b8d5e75_c.jpg

Looking down on the open-top Dolphin deck mini-suites. We had such on the port side, aft. No privacy but we don't walk around naked on our balcony so not a big issue. Lots of sun during the day and stars at night. Not good if it is raining.

16427962732_8c40e5d923_c.jpg

Thanks for the great review and pictures. We did the same cruise in February 2013. Loved the Ruby.

Jim

Jim, I'm glad you are enjoying the review. Thanks for saying so.

We did the Ruby Jan 2013 and the route and the ship seemed like safe bets for our first repeat cruise

I would be happy if Princess were to sail out of San Juan so we could see some of the smaller islands further south but we'll probably have to sail with Azamara or such to get to those within our current 7 day limit.

I sailed out of SJ over 20 years ago on the Carnival Celebration and hit Grenada and Venezuela among others in 7 days.

Norris

I sailed out of SJ over 20 years ago on the Carnival Celebration and hit Grenada and Venezuela among others in 7 days.

We sailed the Golden on that route (Southern Caribbean Explorer 7 Day) in 2005 and would do it again tomorrow.

San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita and Aruba.

Mike:)

Loving your pictures of Ruby

Julia- thank you. I am happy that so many are enjoying them.

I think anyone seeing them will realize she is looking good considering she rarely gets a rest. Hull needs painting for sure but the rooms and deck fixtures are looking good.

Lots of photos still waiting in the wings-there would have been many more but this was maybe my laziest cruise yet.

I predict I will go NUTS with the camera in September when we are on the Emerald and places like Rome and Barcelona pop up in my titles. The Caribbean Islands don't excite me in the way that European cities do.

When I wrote the Ocean Princess review I hadn't been to Italy in 49 years!!

I haven't set foot in Spain since 1982 and I wasn't taking a lot of photos then.

Carol has never been to Spain, but she speaks Spanish and I'll have to learn some just to fit in better. I worked in Spain for a month (playing in a band) back in 1978 and fell in love with it.

Thanks for stopping by again. It's nice to have you along.

Norris

We sailed the Golden on that route (Southern Caribbean Explorer 7 Day) in 2005 and would do it again tomorrow.

San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita and Aruba.

Mike:)

Mike-fellow suite lover, this itinerary is making me drool so I am reaching for the

Bounty Towels.

Cheers!

Norris

I look at my watch only because we have a dinner appointment and my motto is NEVER BE LATE or ALWAYS BE EARLY. Same thing. You and I could arrange to meet under a particular tree in the Amazon jungle ten years from now on a Tuesday at 8.57 a.m and I'd be there are 8.50 waiting for you. Being kept waiting gets my panties in a bunch.

quote]

BUT...if you are there early...doesn't that put the panties in a bunch?;)

Julia- thank you. I am happy that so many are enjoying them.

I think anyone seeing them will realize she is looking good considering she rarely gets a rest. Hull needs painting for sure but the rooms and deck fixtures are looking good.

Lots of photos still waiting in the wings-there would have been many more but this was maybe my laziest cruise yet.

I predict I will go NUTS with the camera in September when we are on the Emerald and places like Rome and Barcelona pop up in my titles. The Caribbean Islands don't excite me in the way that European cities do.

When I wrote the Ocean Princess review I hadn't been to Italy in 49 years!!

I haven't set foot in Spain since 1982 and I wasn't taking a lot of photos then.

Carol has never been to Spain, but she speaks Spanish and I'll have to learn some just to fit in better. I worked in Spain for a month (playing in a band) back in 1978 and fell in love with it.

Thanks for stopping by again. It's nice to have you along.

Norris

Looking forward to your next Europe trip in September cause like you the Caribbean cannot compare although it nice for a quick cruise, I have 2 coming up for spring break now that the kids are on different schedules I get to go twice and then doing a northern TA with hubby in September which will be all new ports.

Like you I hadn't been in Europe for long, since 1984 when I spent a year traveling and then went

to cruise in 2011 and have been back 3 more times since then and hopefully lots more trips to come ;)

I look at my watch only because we have a dinner appointment and my motto is NEVER BE LATE or ALWAYS BE EARLY. Same thing. You and I could arrange to meet under a particular tree in the Amazon jungle ten years from now on a Tuesday at 8.57 a.m and I'd be there at 8.50 waiting for you. Being kept waiting gets my panties in a bunch.

quote]

BUT...if you are there early...doesn't that put the panties in a bunch?;)

Only if YOU are LATE!!

You've got until 8.57....be there on time!

Norris, smooth panties