Renewing Passport

jtwanabe

Cruise scheduled for end of May and one in late September. Passport expires

in late June.

When should I renew .... either one I'm taking a chance.

1) Will I have to give up my passport in order to renew.

2) What other docs. do I have to send in

3) Deal with the Gov. or deal with a service?

Thanks in advance

JT

Edited by jtwanabe

Just renewed mine. Got the form at my local post office. Yes, I did have to send in my old passport. Had to go get the proper photo taken. (Got mine done at AAA for just a few dollars, but I think Walgreens Drugs, and probably lots of other "photo shops" could do it.) Renewal was relatively quick. Got my new one back in about two weeks, with no problems. Your first stop should be the post office to get the proper forms, and instructions. Your old passport will be returned to you, either with the new one, or as mine was, just a week or so later. Good luck, and "Git-R-Done". ;)

"SKY"

Edited by SkyMaster
Additional info

Just renewed mine. Got the form at my local post office. Yes, I did have to send in my old passport. Had to go get the proper photo taken. (Got mine done at AAA for just a few dollars, but I think Walgreens Drugs, and probably lots of other "photo shops" could do it.) Renewal was relatively quick. Got my new one back in about two weeks, with no problems. Your first stop should be the post office to get the proper forms, and instructions. Your old passport will be returned to you, either with the new one, or as mine was, just a week or so later. Good luck, and "Git-R-Done". ;)

"SKY"

You can also find the forms online. You can type in all your info and print it off along with the instructions.

...and don't forget the $110.00 check for each passport renewal. We sent in everything required on 5 Jan. 2015 and got the new ones back 23 Jan. 2015. We got our old ones back 2 Feb. 2015. The old ones were returned with two holes punched in them. I shredded the old passports.

Edited by davekathy

Cruise scheduled for end of May and one in late September. Passport expires

in late June.

When should I renew .... either one I'm taking a chance.

1) Will I have to give up my passport in order to renew.

2) What other docs. do I have to send in

3) Deal with the Gov. or deal with a service?

Thanks in advance

JT

If it were me I would renew it after the May cruise, about 6 weeks before the September cruise. You may renew by mail with your expired passport (there are some exceptions but the website let's you know what they are), new photo and the fee after filling out the forms at http://www.state.gov.

Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact VisaCentral at http://www.visacentral.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees

I concur with others. I would be renewing it now before the May cruise. It is best to have six months validity on the passport. Not required necessarily but if you need to fly back and somehow require a stop over somewhere that isn't in the US, you may need that six months.

You need the passport for the fall trip, so it seems pointless to worry about using your current one for the spring.

In all reality a passport IMO is only really good for 9.5 years. Over a 200 year period you will have bought only one extra passport, though I doubt any of us will live that long to have to worry about it.

I just changed my name and it took 3 weeks to come back. I filled in the forms online and printed them off. My handwriting is not the best so I thought it was safer. 😊 I lost 5 years on my old passport but I don't want to be in a situation and not have what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.[/color]

Recommended, not required, and really only necessary if traveling to countries with passport validity timeframes, which does not apply to individuals visiting a country by cruise, also a transient visitor.

As long as your passport is valid when you return to the United States, you will be fine.

Recommended, not required, and really only necessary if traveling to countries with passport validity timeframes, which does not apply to individuals visiting a country by cruise, also a transient visitor.

As long as your passport is valid when you return to the United States, you will be fine.

Be careful about saying the six month rule does not apply to individuals visiting a country by cruise. Not true. Many European and Asian countries require it of cruise ship passengers visiting their ports. Passports are often collected by ships for those ports to check them. Those ships will not let a passenger board if passport is not good for at least six months past travel.

Be careful about saying the six month rule does not apply to individuals visiting a country by cruise. Not true. Many European and Asian countries require it of cruise ship passengers visiting their ports. Passports are often collected by ships for those ports to check them. Those ships will not let a passenger board if passport is not good for at least six months past travel.

I agree. Most cruise lines ask that passports be valid for 6 months past travel dates.

I concur with others. I would be renewing it now before the May cruise. It is best to have six months validity on the passport. Not required necessarily but if you need to fly back and somehow require a stop over somewhere that isn't in the US, you may need that six months.

You need the passport for the fall trip, so it seems pointless to worry about using your current one for the spring.

In all reality a passport IMO is only really good for 9.5 years. Over a 200 year period you will have bought only one extra passport, though I doubt any of us will live that long to have to worry about it.

It's only best to have six months validity remaining if one is traveling to a country that requires it. The scenario of having a stop over that significantly delays someone that long, especially when returning from a port in the Western Hemisphere is extremely unlikely.