Sky/GSC Newbie

Just booked the Sky for the DH and I over Easter Weekend. Not much info out there about the ship (free UBP and $50 on board credit). I realize that its way smaller and much older than the Getaway, but that's kind of all I know about it.

Any tips or anything I should know? Not much movement on the "Sky" thread. Also, We've never been to a cruise line's private island (how weird is that?) so I also know nothing about GSC.

I'm such a newbie :eek:

We haven't been on the sky in a decade probably but it's not a super small ship. They'll be plenty to do, see, eat etc. And NCL maintains their ships so nicely you know it will be great.

GSC is just like a beach day. They have several bars and a few places to shop. There are cabanas to rent but do it early if you want one. Check out the board in Ports of call section for lots of info and pics. I'm sure someone will post pics here. I'll look for mine. You can also snorkel and rent a variety of floats.

We were on the Sky last December and GSC was one of the stops.

The Sky is definitely smaller and older but we had a great time.

GSC is awesome! My favorite port during our cruise.

You can check tripadvisor as well. A lot of people wrote reviews and posted photos on that site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love Great Stirrup Cay!

This was our last stop on our 4 night cruise on the Norwegian Sky. It was such a great way to end our trip.

We rented a clamshell shade and stayed there for almost the whole day. The lunch was also provided by NCL from 11:30AM to 2PM.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

10801752_943308435680435_3976027680103175677_n.jpg?oh=b7e426635de225850a777e17e233b442&oe=5557BF1B&__gda__=1431499666_8c9e2198f9ccb90a006eaf6ada0ade27

10918998_943308539013758_7707855990233520974_n.jpg?oh=b18fc85c07ae67a44a9cc386f51b3c4b&oe=55613541&__gda__=1432456981_bc8306ee20db4db796ac3449c1afdd2a

10933835_943308482347097_3335639929529448444_n.jpg?oh=5cd59a4148dd8ec6e2d2d194fa9f0a3b&oe=5553D8CE&__gda__=1433144594_0988121d2e6f08608593cca2dddbca06

Just booked the Sky for the DH and I over Easter Weekend. Not much info out there about the ship (free UBP and $50 on board credit). I realize that its way smaller and much older than the Getaway, but that's kind of all I know about it.

Any tips or anything I should know? Not much movement on the "Sky" thread. Also, We've never been to a cruise line's private island (how weird is that?) so I also know nothing about GSC.

I'm such a newbie :eek:

We were on the Sky about 6 weeks ago. Very nice but older ship and a delightful Captain and crew.

The buffet seating area is very small and the staff like to push you to the back deck to get your food during the peak times, but the food selection is somewhat limited in that line compared to the main buffet. They say the food is the same at the back buffet line but it is not. So we would get a table on the back deck and then walk back to the main line for food selection. Another tip is the Italian restaurant is a pay restaurant for dinner but free for lunch. They serve pasta and pizza during lunch and it is less busy then the buffet.

GSC is a beautiful island with wonderful beach areas and a lot of chairs. For us it was the most relaxing day we had on the four day cruise. We never had a problem with finding a spot to catch some sun anywhere. They offer a lot of activities during the day. My teenagers both went parasailing and they loved it. The tender boats were very nice getting back and forth from the island to the ship.

We were on the Sky a year ago. My husband and I loved it! We had a great vacation. We enjoyed listening to the live bands in the evenings. There was never a problem finding a lounge chair in a good location on the pool deck. Food was good. We really loved the Sky and would absolutely sail again.

GSC was nice. We laid in a chair for awhile to get some sun. We also had the UBP and spent some time sitting at the bar area and talked with other cruisers. That's about all we did at GSC. It was a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Same with us, new to the Sky and GSC! We've been to Coco Cay (RCCL's island) several times and hoping it's similar! I do wonder if it's relatively easy to find temporary shade without having to rent a cabana or chair, as we'll be there with our 5 year old.

Same with us, new to the Sky and GSC! We've been to Coco Cay (RCCL's island) several times and hoping it's similar! I do wonder if it's relatively easy to find temporary shade without having to rent a cabana or chair, as we'll be there with our 5 year old.

There are several spots that provide shade around the main beach areas. We didn't rent a cabana and we didn't have any issues finding either a sunny spot when we wanted to work on the tan or a shady spot when we were tired of laying in the sun.

There are several spots that provide shade around the main beach areas. We didn't rent a cabana and we didn't have any issues finding either a sunny spot when we wanted to work on the tan or a shady spot when we were tired of laying in the sun.

Awesome, great to know!