Service Charge and Soda Package

FitchburgWIFamily

I am looking at my welcome aboard booklet, where it says "Adult and teen soda packages are $6.25 per person per day...Prices do not include 15% gratuity and applicable taxes.

So, does that mean for each soda my son gets, I am still going to pay 15% of the price of the soda I didn't pay for?

I am hoping soda are about 2.00 a pop (oh, pardon the pun there for those of you from areas where a soda is a pop) which would mean each one of his sodas would cost me only .30. But if NCL has the soda prices inflated to 4.00 or 5.00, then we are getting to service charge that is more than I think the soda should cost.

So...anyone care to share what there service charge experience was with the soda package?

I am looking at my welcome aboard booklet, where it says "Adult and teen soda packages are $6.25 per person per day...Prices do not include 15% gratuity and applicable taxes.

I thought you'd actually pay the Soda package as a package, so you pay (6.25 x Number of Days) + 15%.

You pay tax & gratuity on the package, not each drink.

The Daily Service Charge (which isn't a tip ) has nothing to do the guys who serve drinks. The drinks have a gratuity added. I'm reasonably certain that buying the pop package will automatically incur the 15% for the servers.

For the pop package to be cost effective you pretty much need to drink four pops a day. Factor in sea days and being off the ship and you start thinking........

Yup and not all ports have a sales tax to include.

Thanks for the clarification. It looks like the easiest way to avoid the tax is to pre purchase the package online ahead of my cruise. Once I decide to purchase I'll probably go that route.

When you pre purchase is the NCL insulated cup handed to you at check in or will it be placed in our stateroom?

Thanks for the clarification. It looks like the easiest way to avoid the tax is to pre purchase the package online ahead of my cruise. Once I decide to purchase I'll probably go that route.

When you pre purchase is the NCL insulated cup handed to you at check in or will it be placed in our stateroom?

I would suggest bringing your own favorite glass/mug. The type NCL gives you is cruddy at best. It's usually so small once they put ice in it you get about 6 ounces of liquid. If you purchase the soda package the bartender will fill any glass you present or a regular glass-glass they have. The insulated mug is not needed at all.

Thanks, I actually have the mug from my November Sky cruise, but it was handed to me onboard because I purchased the package as I arrived on the ship. I actually never used it, it sits on a shelf here at home as a trip trinket.

I was just wondering since the package is part of the ressie will the mug be in the cabin or will we have it to carry around until we get to the room. I did Sky solo, but this time I'll have family with me and so we'd all have the package is I buy it.