Worn out topic....Sunshine...I need some positive reviews please!

I realize that this is quite a worn out topic, and that there have been prior posts similar to this. My husband and I have a balcony cabin booked on the Sunshine for a Eastern Caribbean cruise. I want to be excited for our cruise, but I keep reading the negativity. Let's here from the people who love the Sunshine to help folks like us out! Can someone tell me this will be a great cruise?? We are not picky people. How can 7 days of drinking, eating, sun and blue water not be wonderful? Let's talk about the good things!

One of the best decisions I made was to ignore the negative reviews especially on Cruise Critic. I would've missed out on one hell of a vacation on the Sunshine. Beautiful ship with a great staff including one of Carnivals best cd's. Loved all the 2.0 features and never ever felt over crowded.

One last note, I think the Sunshine's serenity deck is 2nd to none. Enjoy your cruise!

Our last cruise we booked the Freedom the week before dry dock and peopleon cruise critic kept saying it was going to be a bad week- things would be closed etc.

Ultimately it was an awesome cruise- nothing was closed. Ok our waiter wasnt the best we have ever had but he wasnt awful. (and I cant really blame that on a dry dock!)

A vacation is what you make of it. We are booked on the Sunshine too. My kids picked it over Freedom of the Seas. We CANT wait!

Edited by rdevine10

Here's my criteria in judging whether a cruise is good or not.

1) If they have food - good.

2) If they have booze - better.

3) If they have sun, sand and ...... - best!

4) If the damn thing sinks................... swim towards 1) 2) and 3), not necessarily in that order.;)

Stop worrying and have a good 1, or 2, or......

I totally understand your concern...We're cruising on the Sunshine in just 73 more days..and I agree there haven been to many good reviews, but I look at it this way, its all what you make of it. I am not cooking,cleaning , nor am I at work!! If you focus on all the negative you read you may be missing out on a real great time when you do go on your cruise..I say this only cause from cruising on the Dream when it was brand spanking new, we absolutely love it! The reviews before we actually sailed on it, oh they were horrible, did we smell the infamous smell? Yes we did! Did it impact our cruise? Nope!!

We encountered this as well when we cruised on the Breeze as well...That too we had a great cruise. So much so we cruised on that big beauty twice!

I look at it this way also, there are those people who nit pick everything..What may bother one person may not the next..And also, I feel fortunate enough to be able to afford to take my family on a cruise, dam straight I"m gonna have a great time!!:D

We board in 4 more days. Been watching the reviews for a year. Believe me, there are many, many positive reviews. A cruise is what you make of it. Remember, people are quick to post negative remarks and slow to post positive ones. I'm planning on a great time on our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Sunshine.

We booked the SunShine for a March 2014 cruise only because we saw an article on the refurb. We had sailed Destiny years before.

We were not aware of any of these message boards/review sites. We went and had a blast with no complaints.

We booked again for 2/20/15, then discovered these boards.

We shake our heads when we read scathing reviews.

Yes the topic is worn out. I know, because I read everything to do with the Sunshine myself! Click on the ship name at the top of the page. Lots of useful info in reviews and commentary on her, and believe me it is not all bad.

We have a cruise booked and not the least bit worried. I will be prepared to deal with some of the more common issues mentioned, so alot of the information has been useful. Commentary about bad food and general totally derogatory comments I disregard, because I'm not interested in the general bashing of any ship, and I've always been able to find something good to eat. I don't expect to starve on the Sunshine.

Quit worrying and use reviews to help you plan. Not deter you from enjoying your vacation.

I think 90% of bad reviews are written by hard to please people who live to complain. Never had a bad cruise. We have ships we like better than others. 1 inparticular we would not book again. The ship was ok but just didn't like near as well as others.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

As you can see, I have my second cruise on the Sunshine booked for May. I had a wonderful time last year on the Sunshine, and I plan on having a wonderful time this year as well.

Like other posters, I shake my head at at some of the extremely volatile reviews and opinions about the ship. Sometimes it's as if the mere IDEA of the ship irritates some people. Some of this goes back to the beginning when a casual glance may have given the impression that the Sunshine was a brand new ship.

For my part, I typically don't attend the production shows or utilize the comedy club - so the fact that these venues are smaller does not affect me. However, I LOVE the Havana Bar area and the Ocean Plaza area. As far as crowds go, every cruise I have ever been on has had some instances of crowding. Too many people trying to do the exact same thing at the exact same time will produce that.

Go and enjoy the Sunshine. She is a beautiful ship, and has many, many good features that far outweigh the few minor issues you may possibly encounter.

Don't let the bad reviews scare you. I loved it so much, I'm doing it again! This time to the Western Caribbean. There are plenty of great food options on this ship; the spa is wonderful, and Jamie D. can't be beat.

I'm only sorry that I didn't take time to post a review when I returned. It really is a great ship.

Go with an open mind and you'll have an absolutely wonderful time!:)

I agree, mostly a royal cruiser here but many carnival as well. Went on sunshine over thanksgiving and honestly it's one of my favorite ships ever. Big ship feel that is easy to navigate. Havana bar, piano, and comedy club were my favorite. Staff was outstanding. Hopefully will sail on her again. Prefer sunshine over the dream class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard Jamie D is leaving the Sunshine soon. Any idea who will replace her?

We are on the Sunshine in August 2015. Really chosen more for the itinerary than the ship it's self. I agree w/ everyone here, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt.

If there's anything shockingly awful after our 8/2015 cruise, I'll let everyone know. But highly doubt it : )

I like both Carnival and RCL. Carnival seems a little more relaxed, which is nice, because that's what I am on vacation to do!

We were on the Sunshine last summer! We loved the ship and all the upgrades. I cruise for two things relaxation and time with my family. The ports add to both. People complain about crowding at pool, go to back and there are plenty of seats and better places to cool off with all the water activities at the water works. Crowding during lunch and breakfast, the Havana Bar area is never crowded. We had YTD always ready by 5:30. Got our same table, waited in Red Frog and got our foosball game on and once they were ready for us we went downstairs for supper. People complain about time spent in dining room, I love it, time with my family discussing the day and laughing making memories. There were some buckets for dripping water. An occasional smell of "what's that". We loved the Sunshine so much we are going back for eastern trip this summer. Will there be things I don't like YEP, buts it's all about relaxation and family time. ImageUploadedByForums1423072278.222519.jpg.530f5a05973565556b7f3bc2fd24b8ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruised the Sunshine in August, 2014. The ship was more crowded than any we've been on, and we always cruise summer, spring break and New Year's. I was disappointed that the spa didn't have the Thalassotherapy pool, the only pool (besides Serenity) is teeny-tiny for so many people, and the Red Frog Pub didn't have the yummy bar food. That being said, it was still a great cruise overall. I would sail the Sunshine again, once we can cruise at other times of the year, when it might not be so crowded.

I cruised the Sunshine last year. The service was outstanding, as usual on Carnival. The food was excellent. I enjoyed my cruise. The Sunshine had all the great 2.0 upgrades. It had the water works area. It was a great cruise, but the Sunshine is not my favorite ship

When Carnival converted the Destiny to the Sunshine, they added a bunch of cabins. I felt the ship was a too small for the number of people. The comedy lounge was tiny. The main theater is much smaller than on then on other ships. It was 2 stories instead of 3. The ship always felt crowded to me. I also did not like that the cabins did not have fridges.

Edited by cherbear4000

We sail on the Sunshine in about 40 days. I too am leary of the reviews. BUT...as someone said...it is vacation! I'm not working, cleaning, cooking. I'm visiting exotic ports and having plenty of relaxation time. A bad cruise is still better than a bad day at work! (Okay, unless we sink or get norovirus, but still, put me on a lounge chair, and I'll deal with it)

FWIW, I much prefer CCL over RCL. I hated our one RCL cruise and don't ever plan on taking another. We are CCL loyal now! :)

We were on the sunshine a few weeks ago and we are booked again for Oct. I had no problem with smells or buckets in the hall catching water and the staff was great. The ship was way overcrowded. They added to many cabins and people for the size of the ship. I am sure each cruise can be different but we had to wait in long lines for "your time" dining and the lounge and clubs were small. On sea days we spent a lot of time on the balcony. I think this is a ship you will just have to go and check out for yourself. We will be back on it in Oct. with a positive attitude and intend on having fun.

Edited by dayday