Lido dinner

blondietink

So, our next cruise has the American Table dinner menus, and we are not liking it. My sons will not eat ceaser salad, seafood, lamb, rabbit, etc. Some of this is due to allergies (seafood, milk and egg allergies) and some of it because of their disabilities and food texture intolerances. So, we would need to eat off the children's menu or on the lido deck.

Now the magic question is, on the ships with the American Table/Feast MDR menu, what is on the lido deck for dinner? Same things or something different? My sons would eat the fried chicken from the old menu every night and will be sad that it is not on the menu anymore.

Normally lido dinner has pretty much the same things as the dining room except for formal night.

I haven't tried the new menus yet but I don't like what I see for vegetarians. The one non vegetarian item I did like was their fried chicken.

So, our next cruise has the American Table dinner menus, and we are not liking it. My sons will not eat ceaser salad, seafood, lamb, rabbit, etc. Some of this is due to allergies (seafood, milk and egg allergies) and some of it because of their disabilities and food texture intolerances. So, we would need to eat off the children's menu or on the lido deck.

Now the magic question is, on the ships with the American Table/Feast MDR menu, what is on the lido deck for dinner? Same things or something different? My sons would eat the fried chicken from the old menu every night and will be sad that it is not on the menu anymore.

Have you looked at the menus carefully? There are lots of choices besides caesar salad, seafood, lamb and rabbit.

Check out this site with copies of some of the menus (including the children's menu)..

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalImagNov/menus/index.html

On one day there is lasagna, beef brisket, roasted chicken, shrimp, a vegetarian. In addition, each day there are 4 other basic options: a fish, chicken, flat iron steak & pork chop. There are about 9 appetizer choices too each day. The kids menu has all the basics: hamburger, cheeseburger, nuggets, PBJ, pizza spaghetti, etc. There is one "Rare Find" which is the rabbit, alligator type thing and there is a "Port of Call" section with a cocktail, appetizer & main for the port you are at.

I am a picky eater and from the menus I have seen, I could easily find something to eat every day. I think you need to take a good look at the menu's as there are a lot of choices.

As for the ships, I believe currently only the Imagination, Liberty, Glory, & Inspiration have the new menu's (keep thinking I am forgetting one). They have done some changes and additions. Depending on when you cruise, every ship could have the new menus.

Don't think I've ever worried about the menu pre boarding. Food is food is food. There have been nights when I load up an appetizers because the main courses don't appeal to me. If I was worried about food choices I probably just wouldn't cruise and would just stick to land vacations where I could pick the restaurants. Truth is I've never gone hungry on a cruise.

No, we won't go hungry but just not liking the choices now on the American Table menu. And yes, we have looked at the menus closely . When you are dealing with people with disabilities, food can be a real issue.

Hopefully we can actually get a plain salad at dinner at least. Maybe we will eat a large lunch (Guys burger, fish and chips, etc.) Then a lighter dinner.

From what I have read here, Carnival is very good at helping people with allergies/food issues in the MDR.

You need to contact the folks that deal with this on the ship and they will work with you to plan what your family can eat each night.

I really don't think a change in the menu will be a problem if you do this.

No, we won't go hungry but just not liking the choices now on the American Table menu. And yes, we have looked at the menus closely . When you are dealing with people with disabilities, food can be a real issue.

Hopefully we can actually get a plain salad at dinner at least. Maybe we will eat a large lunch (Guys burger, fish and chips, etc.) Then a lighter dinner.

If the allergies and disabilities are that severe, then I would contact Special Needs at Carnival and notify them of the issues. Then, as others have mentioned, contact the Maitre'd once you are on board the ship. They will work with you on all of it.

Been on multiple cruises with Carnival with a severe seafood allergy here (have to carry epi-pen at all times due to anaphylaxis)...once I let the maitre d, assistant, and my waiter know they always go above and beyond to make sure I have a safe and enjoyable dining experience without sacrificing being able to order pretty much anything I want. Carnival does a great job with their food allergy guests...I have 99.9% faith in their mdr to keep me safe...but in the end those of us (or our parents) with food allergies always need to be cognizant of our food choices/ingredients in order to be as safe as possible.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The buffet always has a salad bar so you should be just fine. You could also order a pizza.

Another thing to consider is that you can order a double appetizer as your entree if you like those options. I am curious what you would have eaten off the old menu that isn't included on the new ones? I think they have chicken nuggets/tenders on the kids menu. The room service menu is an option as well and they have some good choices.

The odd food choices-- alligator, rabbit, frog is one item on the menu. There's always meat (beef or pork), fish (salmon etc), poultry and vegetarian options.

The buffet has very mainstream food. The most unusual thing on the buffet on our last four day on the Inspiration in January was pumpkin soup.

Buffets are horrible for allergy sufferers. Be very careful of cross contamination.

In January either the hostess or our waiter took the next day's allergy order. We had Anytime Dining.

Our nut allergic DD has had no problem with the new menu on her last three cruises.

Edited by SadieN

We had the American menu on the Liberty. I absolutely LOATHED it. It kept me from the MDR many nights. I actually couldnt find much to eat in LIdo buffet either. I spent quite a bit of time at Guy's Burgers. Granted, the majority of my family (sans DH) are extremely picky eaters. The new menu almost drove me away from Carnival. I hope it isnt on the Pride when we go in October.