Bicycle on the cruise?

mtiffany24

Have seen people with fold-up bikes on cruises but never a full-sized bike. They should have no objection if you bring yours along - the 1 hassle may be the scanners if you want to 'carry' it on. If in checked luggage, should be fine. May be best to call customer service and ask about how to best to get to get it on the ship. Would recommend you ask your cabin steward to store it (the crew has a special bike storage area below decks) if you run out of room in your cabin.

Have seen people with fold-up bikes on cruises but never a full-sized bike. They should have no objection if you bring yours along - the 1 hassle may be the scanners if you want to 'carry' it on. If in checked luggage, should be fine. May be best to call customer service and ask about how to best to get to get it on the ship. Would recommend you ask your cabin steward to store it (the crew has a special bike storage area below decks) if you run out of room in your cabin.

Well, at every port where I use the bike- security might treat the bicycle the way they do wheelchairs?

Perhaps the person is trying for other opinions. Possibly forgot about other reply's . Could have had a family emergency and did not see other reply's. It really amazes me some times on this board.:(:eek: Perhaps the best thing would be to contact Hal and pose this question, you should get an answer without drama. Good travels on your trip.:)

Well, at every port where I use the bike- security might treat the bicycle the way they do wheelchairs?

I use a walker/rollator which is already in my cabin once we get on the ship.

When I get on the ship at the various ports, security takes my walker/rollator and pushes it through the "walk" part like at the airports.

I don't see why they can't do this on Embarkation day.

Maybe you should call Ship Services a couple of times to find out what they say.

1-800-541-1576.

We took bicycles aboard the WC two years ago on the Amsterdam. We asked for permission ahead of time, and it worked out great. You need to be prepared to keep the bikes in your cabin, and need to understand that certain countries may have issues with them. For example Australia has very stringent rules about seeds, soil, etc being brought into the country, and the customs could have refused to allow them off the ship. Also, certain tender ports were not available for bikes to be taken ashore. But, for us, they were an amazing item to have along. For sure, contact HAL for permission ahead of time! And don't forget your helmet...

It really amazes me some times on this board.:(:eek:
CHILL! :mad: There was no sarcastic/nasty/snippy intent in my reply. I simply was referring her to some replies that had already been given.

Edited by jtl513

CHILL! :mad: There was no sarcastic/nasty/snippy intent in my reply. I simply was referring her to some replies that had already been given.[/font][/size]

Thanks, I thought I might get more answers on the HAL forum that just on our roll call...

Mary Ann

Thanks, I thought I might get more answers on the HAL forum that just on our roll call...

Mary Ann

Have you phoned Ships Services to get permission, as others have suggested? IMO you should not take a CC posters word about it..

Have you checked to see if the officials will permit you to disembark with your bike in all ports including your final destination? Have you figured out who you will donate the bike to, when you are finished with it, or are you just planning to leave it on the street?

Those questions would be my main concern, as I wouldn't want to get arrested for littering..

unfortunately, many of us have learned we cannot always depend upon the answers we receive from phone reps. They often just answer what people want to hear and they really don't know the correct answer. Some are wonderful and very dependable, of course, but there are also some with little experience and not enough training.

I think it would be allowed but I would still call and ask. There were 2 people with bikes on our French Polynesia cruise this past October. They took the bikes off at each port, even the tender ports. It was a BIG inconvenience on the tenders as the bikes took up a huge amount of space.

I think it would be allowed but I would still call and ask. There were 2 people with bikes on our French Polynesia cruise this past October. They took the bikes off at each port, even the tender ports. It was a BIG inconvenience on the tenders as the bikes took up a huge amount of space.

You'd think the bike riders would have the courtesy to wait until all guests who wanted to ride the tender ashore had done so before they took up so much space with their bikes. Sigh......... :rolleyes: Simple courtesy.

You'd think the bike riders would have the courtesy to wait until all guests who wanted to ride the tender ashore had done so before they took up so much space with their bikes. Sigh......... :rolleyes: Simple courtesy.

That makes sense. By the way I am staying at a b&b in Singapore and would ask the host a good place to donate the bike. One of the reasons I want to take the bike is for the 4 days in Singapore.

unfortunately, many of us have learned we cannot always depend upon the answers we receive from phone reps. They often just answer what people want to hear and they really don't know the correct answer. Some are wonderful and very dependable, of course, but there are also some with little experience and not enough training.

I've had the same problem with phone reps. It is nice to have CC members post their personal experiences.

In the past, HAL has allowed bicycles on board but you have to keep them in your room or on your balcony. There is one problem with bicycles. If you try to walk one down the narrow passageways on a cruise ship, it is difficult for people to pass you in the halls. Be prepared to lean the bicycle against the wall and wait behind or in front of it to allow others to pass you in the hallway.

This is the sort of thing that would be very bad if it became popular, and then it would be banned (with my support, even though I enjoy my bicycle at home). Imagine dozens of bicyclists trying to get off the ship with the crowd. Then there is the dirt and grime factor on board the ship. Bicycles are not very good for indoor carpet!

igraf

In the past, HAL has allowed bicycles on board but you have to keep them in your room or on your balcony. There is one problem with bicycles. If you try to walk one down the narrow passageways on a cruise ship, it is difficult for people to pass you in the halls. Be prepared to lean the bicycle against the wall and wait behind or in front of it to allow others to pass you in the hallway.

That makes sense. By the way I am staying at a b&b in Singapore and would ask the host a good place to donate the bike. One of the reasons I want to take the bike is for the 4 days in Singapore.

Whatever HAL tells you, strongly recommend you get it in writing, i.e. an email, and bring a copy with you.

You should maybe check VERY carefully as Singapore has some very strict and weird laws. Example: it used to be (and still is) a crime to chew gum - now it is a crime to even carry gum! Possibly donating it to a crew member may be an idea and foregoing its use in Singapore.

• 7 months later...

We bought used full sized bikes in Copenhagen to take on a Baltic cruise. We waited about an hour before disembarking so that there would be room in the elevators. We tried to be as considerate as possible of others but others did not return the favor. Sometimes it took a while to get an elevator and it was made worse when single riders would stand in the center front of the elevator refusing to let us on. We always made sure that the bikes were clean before we brought them on board. Checked the hallway before wheeling them back to the cabin. We stored them on the balcony. Also we pulled back the duvet so as not to get the gears on the linens.

It was wonderful to have the freedom in the docking ports. We did not bring the bikes out on tender ports.

When we were on the NA in 2013 (Caribbean), there was a couple who got off in every port with their bikes. I had never thought of bringing a bike, but it certainly did not seem to inconvenience any of us who were disembarking. I would still check it out and get it in writing from HAL and I would especially check out the Singapore laws. Let us know what you decide to do and if you do take your bike to Singapore, come back and let us know your experience. Have fun!