Great Stirrup Cay- Cabana's

Fishymom

Question in regards to the cabana's

are they needed? I mean is there enough shade, chairs etc.

See now, that there are only large ones left at $399

How much were the small?

do they do waiting lists, or is hurry onto the boat and go directly to shore desk and check for cancellations?

We have gotten to the island on the second tender and we have gotten there in the afternoon and we have always been able to find chairs in the shade if you are willing to be away from the main "action" and walk down towards the quiet end/lagoon, which is my preference anyway. I would say if you want to be in the midst of the main party section, you need a cabana or a clamshell to get shade. If you want a quieter area that's a bit of a walk/tram ride, you are probably okay.

There is plenty of shade but I have to admit having a bit of real estate all your own was nice (and we all managed to get sunburned in spite of having the cabana). The small cabanas are a little less than the large and I thought they were in a better spot. They have a refrigerator, storage cabinet, and a shower in the back to rinse off with (along with the table, chairs and loungers). It is my understanding that they don't sell them all online so you might want to check at the shore excursion desk as soon as you board.

In October, on the Breakaway our small cabana was $249.

I initially tried to reserve one online but they were sold out. It seems that once the cabanas are sold out, they became unavailable online & the only option that appears is the option to add additional guests.

However, if you don't see availability online, I would definitely call and confirm availability because that is how I got lucky & scored a cabana that had just been cancelled.

When do cabanas become available to book online? I just booked a July '16 cruise that stops in GSC and definitely want to book a small cabana. Do they tend to sell out quickly?

Thank you very much!

I want to say they were available 6 months out, but that might just be when I started checking on them. I would expect that for a July sailing they will sell out quickly. (And just like any other shore excursion that you reserve online full payment is due at the time of booking.)

I want to say they were available 6 months out, but that might just be when I started checking on them. I would expect that for a July sailing they will sell out quickly. (And just like any other shore excursion that you reserve online full payment is due at the time of booking.)

Great- that's very helpful! Thank you so much!! :D

I booked my cabaña on January 18th for our November 8th cruise. I think is was open for booking a few weeks earlier, but I didn't have the cash available at that time.

Yes, it is expensive at $349, but it was completely worth it for us. We spent almost the entire day on the island because we had it. In the past, we only stayed a few hours at best.

I booked my cabaña on January 18th for our November 8th cruise. I think is was open for booking a few weeks earlier, but I didn't have the cash available at that time.

Yes, it is expensive at $349, but it was completely worth it for us. We spent almost the entire day on the island because we had it. In the past, we only stayed a few hours at best.

Almost a year ahead of time? Wow- great! Thanks! The $349 does seem expensive, but we'll be splitting it with friends, so that'll bring the total cost down a bit- and it totally seems worth it! Thanks for the help!

Almost a year ahead of time? Wow- great! Thanks! The $349 does seem expensive, but we'll be splitting it with friends, so that'll bring the total cost down a bit- and it totally seems worth it! Thanks for the help!

It was just the 3 of us, so we booked the small cabana. But we made some friends on FB and through our cruise critic roll call, so we invited 4 other people to join us. We paid the $25 for the extra person and we really enjoyed ourselves. They give you a $50 credit for food and drink on the island, so we ordered a few pounds of shrimp cocktail from the special island menu. They also give you 6 bottles of water, unlimited chips and 3 fabulous dips, and 4 floating mats to use all day. There are 4 chairs and a table, a refrigerator, and ceiling fan, and 4 lounge chairs. Plus there's a shower behind it. I'll always book a cabaña in the future.

I like the location of the small cabañas better than the large ones. The large one are up on a hill and were a little more difficult to access.

img053_zps19275a20.jpg

20141008_124744_zpsublpq785.jpg

20141008_124724_zpsgigrhws2.jpg

20141008_093101_zpsgnlzekkq.jpg

20141008_093347_zpsvdex8hdw.jpg

How do you reserve the claim shell canopies? Also is the buffet free? Drink cost? If you have free beverage package on ship does it apply to this port also since NCL owns it?

Clamshells are reserved through the shore excursions desk, possibly online or via phone prior, not sure about that though. Buffet is free and alcohol is covered under UBP. Think of GSC as an extension of the ship. :)

It was just the 3 of us, so we booked the small cabana. But we made some friends on FB and through our cruise critic roll call, so we invited 4 other people to join us. We paid the $25 for the extra person and we really enjoyed ourselves. They give you a $50 credit for food and drink on the island, so we ordered a few pounds of shrimp cocktail from the special island menu. They also give you 6 bottles of water, unlimited chips and 3 fabulous dips, and 4 floating mats to use all day. There are 4 chairs and a table, a refrigerator, and ceiling fan, and 4 lounge chairs. Plus there's a shower behind it. I'll always book a cabaña in the future.

I like the location of the small cabañas better than the large ones. The large one are up on a hill and were a little more difficult to access.

This reminded me… if food is included, what does the $50 credit buy you? We will have the UBP, so I know that drinks will be covered, but is there a special menu of food that we can use the $50 on?

This has been such a great thread- thank you all for your help!!

This reminded me… if food is included, what does the $50 credit buy you? We will have the UBP, so I know that drinks will be covered, but is there a special menu of food that we can use the $50 on?

This has been such a great thread- thank you all for your help!!

Yes, they have a special menu and it will be in your cabin when you embark. You'll need to fill it out and turn it in to the shorex desk a day or so before getting to GSC. There are different food items available for a charge in addition to bottles of liquor (we got a bottle of rum with our credit and were able to take it back to the ship, but we didn't have the UBP). If you don't use the credit you lose it.

Do you have to preorder..or can you just use your credit ordering drinks from the bar while on GSC?

I am pretty sure that I've read that it can be used on the island that way, but I am not 100% certain so I would suggest going to ShorEx as soon as you board and ask them.