Foreign aid for hurricane?

Nliedel. I lived in the NO area 30 years ago and everytime we had a hurricane alert, this scenario was explained as the worse case situation. Never did I expect to see it happen. I shudder to think if NO had had a direct hit of a class 4 storm.

Many unaffected (except economically) states far away from the affected area have offered assistance. Governor Baldacci of our great and caring state has pledged assistance to the area. When we were affected by the Ice Storm of 1998 (no where near the destruction of Katrina) we received loads of out of state assistance.

As for foreign aid, there seems to have plenty of offers. However, because we are only seeing the media and viewpoints from within our country, we aren't getting the word internally. There are resources on the web to see what are countries are reporting and doing about our situation here. With the obvious exceptions, they are mostly shocked, saddened and sympathetic regarding the disaster and are looking for ways to help. Check out www.bbc.co.uk for one.

I am watching the news and I am incensed by the situation in New Orleans. People are dying on the streets and the shelters because of dehydration, lack of medical attention and disease. All of this in the greatest super power in the world. How can this be? I know the scope of this disaster is bigger than anyone can imagine, but what is being allowed to happen down there is inexcusable. Our national leaders need to respond more quickly to this. WE ARE NOT A DEVELOPING NATION.

I am watching the news and I am incensed by the situation in New Orleans. People are dying on the streets and the shelters because of dehydration, lack of medical attention and disease. All of this in the greatest super power in the world. How can this be? I know the scope of this disaster is bigger than anyone can imagine, but what is being allowed to happen down there is inexcusable. Our national leaders need to respond more quickly to this. WE ARE NOT A DEVELOPING NATION.

And what would you like to have them do???

Water/food/clothing/money is being sent, people are getting as much done as they SAFELY can - the first thing you are taught when learning about rescue is to NOT put yourself into harms way - you do no one any good if you get into trouble and have ot be rescueed yourself.

Residents of NO are out looting, martial law is in effect, rescuers are being SHOT AT which REALLY hampers their efforts . . . .

Yes, people (who had been told to evacuate and for whatever reason, did not) are being helped to the best our the rescuers ability - but there is no power, there is still water - higher than you can imagine - blocking roadways. Debris makes roads not covered by water impassible.

The realities of it is that no matter how small the information age has made our world, there are still miles and miles the trucks have to travel to bring supplies, still a limit to how fast a man can run to the rescue of another. Trying to get information to each person about where to go and how to get there is a matter of finding each person and telling them - no easy feat when many of them have no power for tv/computer/radio and many have no battery-powered radio.

I've had experience trying to evacuate 3000 people - I can't begin to imagine evacuating 10 -20 times that number.

And so the PC around don't think I am callous, I have my own list of lost/missing/concerned about . . .

I think nationan's offers of help are being made in a general sense because of lessons learned from the tsunami. The amount initially pledged by the US seemed very low compared to other industrialised countries and the Bush administration had to revise it upward once they were more aware of the level of catastrophe involved. I think other countries have learned from this and are simply waiting to see what's needed before firming up their plans.

Maybe this is overly simplistic but when you've got hungry and thristy people on the ground, why can't you drop supplies in by helicopter?

Beth

I agree but I'm sure there must be a good reason not to. It might cause rioting and even more shootings. Who knows? I hope they get more military in there and establish some order. I read today where a man shot his sister in the head in a dispute over a bag of ice.

I agree but I'm sure there must be a good reason not to. It might cause rioting and even more shootings. I read today where a man shot his sister in the head in a dispute over a bag of ice.

That is part of the problem - rioting happening when supplies get dropped. People horde the supplies. Also damage to the supplies. Supplies might land in water, garabge, sewage, or into an area where it is unsafe for people to get to it. And how much do you drop into an area - you don't want to drop too much or too little. It's easier, faster and safer to take the people to the supplies rather than the supplies to the people.

Didn't they try this after the tsuunami and have supplies get damaged/split open? People would rush to one spot to get things, missing a drop that was right behind then - leading to more waste and debris to be cleaned up.

Remember, the people in New Orleans are not watching TV like the rest of us. There IS NO TV. There has only been ONE radio station broadcasting (AM). They are not as aware of the severity as we are. Roads blocked by debris, bridges collapsed, zero electricy, zero water, sewage filled flood waters, contamination with oil and chemicals and now with human and animal waste and bodies. Police and other first responders that cannot communicate because of no radios/batteries and no gas. This is just unphathonable. No amount of planning would have been sufficient. FEMA and others were prepared for the storm and had people and supplies prepositioned for the relief efforts. This is a disaster of Biblical preportions. Don't look for someone to blame. Give from the heart. It's now OUR problem.

For the OP, as mentioned above, many countries have sent offers of aid and their condolences. The U.S. authorities are having a battle trying to allocate which assets where and when. The New Orleans situation is unique due to the standing water (flooding). New Orleans has experienced flooding before but not on this scale. Don't forget, it was the morning AFTER the storm hit land that the first levee breach occurred with the second and third breach following. As for the vast numbers staying put consider the following; the population of New Orleans is approx. 480,000 of which 28% (134,500) exist below the poverty line. Most of these poor people are the "working poor" we unfortunately hear so much about. Almost all do not own a car or have access to transportation other than the city transit system. If you were to take these people out by bus you would need 1,000 buses (assuming 3 round trips per bus which is a generous factor). These people probably do not have credit cards or much disposable cash either so how would they exist at their destination. I did not read of aid centers set up to handle 125,000+ people.

Before we lambaste these unfortunate souls for not evacuating, consider their circumstances. I did not read of 1,000+ buses brought in to pick up people at pre-arranged evacuation depots. They were told to evacuate-period, without much thought to how.

This is a tragedy and it is getting worse by the minute in New Orleans due to the uniqueness of the flood waters having no place to go because of NO being below sea level. The only way to get rid of the water is evaporation or pump it out...the pumps won't be turned on until they get power to them AND the levees are repaired. This situation is unique and tragic.

Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States.

Please note that France is on the list. (So is Jamaica!)

What an amazing response.

Kenandlaura. I lived there 30 years ago. Poverty has always been a problem there. Public assistance, I'm afraid has made cripples of a large part of the population. I'm not sure if or what the solution is but maybe some that are leaving for refugee camps may find more opportunitys else where. The US economy is doing pretty well. The GDP was announced today at 3.3% growth, better than expected. Low interest rates and a very strong retail and housing segements are looking good. 3.3% inspite of much higher energy costs. Oh. And crime was a major problem 30 yrs ago too.

Remember, the people in New Orleans are not watching TV like the rest of us. There IS NO TV. There has only been ONE radio station broadcasting (AM). They are not as aware of the severity as we are. Roads blocked by debris, bridges collapsed, zero electricy, zero water, sewage filled flood waters, contamination with oil and chemicals and now with human and animal waste and bodies. Police and other first responders that cannot communicate because of no radios/batteries and no gas. This is just unphathonable. No amount of planning would have been sufficient. FEMA and others were prepared for the storm and had people and supplies prepositioned for the relief efforts. This is a disaster of Biblical preportions. Don't look for someone to blame. Give from the heart. It's now OUR problem.

That's true to an extent, but the fact remains that when the administration folded FEMA into the Dept. of Homeland Security they also gutted a large portion of the funding for natural disaster preparedness/response and used it for terrorist attack possibilities and the general fund for Afganistan and Iraq. (This is information from a quote from FEMA personnel; not just something I dreamed up here.) Funding to prepare for and try to prevent the massive destruction (including upgrading the levees in NO) was taken away and used to fund the war effort and airport/port/likely target security. In fact, the NO area hurricane "exercise" (drills) done last year were cancelled this year do to lack of funding.

So, while FEMA did what they could and while personnel and supplies are being mustered as quickly as possible, the government (federal through local) did not do all they could to prepare for this horrible worst case scenario--a disaster that has been feared for decades.

And I do have a problem with those who chose to remain when they could have evacuated (not those who had no choice), those who are looting for "pleasure" (not those trying to get desperately needed supplies), and those who are shooting at police officers, National Guard, other rescuers, and their fellow citizens. For one thing, it does take resources away from where they are needed because of selfish and criminal behavior. For crying out loud, people were attempting to break in to hospital ICUs! Now we could say, well they needed medical care, and I'm sure they did, but to essentially say, "the hell (can I write that?) with the people in here who will now die" is beyond my comprehension. Looters stole a bus from a nursing home making it impossible to evacuate the residents--but I guess those looters figured that nursing home residents are old and/or sick anyway, why not just let them die. Again, this is not the way civilized people act.

I believe that in a crisis we owe it to ourselves and each other to do whatever we can to help those around us. What we will do is contribute money and possibly supplies to the extent we're able. The problem for us is that with rapidly rising prices (not just of fuel, but everything else) and the multitude of disasters we've donated to over the past several years, on top of our everyday ongoing charitable donations, it's harder to donate anywhere near as much as we would like. That's one reason I'm glad to hear that other countries are offering assistance. There's nothing shameful or wrong with asking for and receiving help when it is needed. We don't have to stand alone to be strong and proud, IMO.

beachchick

Here in South Australia we are very aware and very upset about what has happened to these poor people and can not believe that from the minute the warnings went out about the severity of the hurricane that preparations werent already being made for assistance. There is so much suffering in what we believed was such an organised and powerful country.

I know no one could have predicted how bad this is - but putting 20,000 people in a sports park and not getting in extra toilet facilities, not preparing for loss of communications, power, fresh water, and evacuating hospitals and nursing homes.

For our part - our Prime Minister John Howard has offered financial assistance and manpower in the form of the teams that assisted in Thailand/Aceh Tsunami disaster and East Timor and the Bali Bombings. The offer has not yet been accepted but our very experienced and professional people are packed and ready for when they get the go-ahead.

This is very reminiscent of the Kursk situation in Russia a few years ago. Time was of the essence and foreign countries had the means to help but the offers were refused until it was too late. The reason? Pride. It's time for the US to swallow its pride and ask for help. People are dying for god's sake! This is no time to say you can tough it out. Obviously you can't.

Beth

Kenandlaura. I lived there 30 years ago. Poverty has always been a problem there. Public assistance, I'm afraid has made cripples of a large part of the population. I'm not sure if or what the solution is but maybe some that are leaving for refugee camps may find more opportunitys else where. The US economy is doing pretty well. The GDP was announced today at 3.3% growth, better than expected. Low interest rates and a very strong retail and housing segements are looking good. 3.3% inspite of much higher energy costs. Oh. And crime was a major problem 30 yrs ago too.

hdawson, I agree the economy is in good shape...depending on your place in the economy. An example is a 5% unemployment rate, a great number until you look behind the scene and see the reality, jobs paying $14.00 per hour with benefits traded for jobs paying $7.00 per hour w/ no benefits. Also look to see how the unemployment rate is caculated-Dept. of Labor website explains all. The reality is the labor force PARTICIPATION rate is at a twenty year low of 65%. Another issue is income, average income is up slightly however MEDIAN income ($42,500.00 per HOUSEHOLD) has been stagnant for 4 years. The 2004 census report also shows 20% of the labor force earned 50.1% of the total income. The only earners who received a substantial raise were the top 5% of earners, the rest stayed even or fell back. During this "great" economy another 1.1 million Americans fell in to poverty and a few million more lost their health care benefits. The federal deficit is still extremely high and the trade deficit will breach a nightmarish $700 BILLION this year. Average resale house prices are up, median house prices have dropped from $242,000 to $218,000 in 3 months...could the bubble be about to burst. The latest consumer saving rate is MINUS 0.6%....I could go on and on however I do agree if you are in the 2 top quintiles (I am, fortunately) the economy couldn't be better.

And the major reason for the crime rates in NO is the incredibly high rate of poverty. This is a tragedy beyond comprehension.

The median income is slightly higher than $17,000. And they conducted an evacuation without using large busses for the poor and elderly? Many of the people don't own cars.

This is ridiculous.

Here in South Australia we are very aware and very upset about what has happened to these poor people and can not believe that from the minute the warnings went out about the severity of the hurricane that preparations werent already being made for assistance. There is so much suffering in what we believed was such an organised and powerful country.

I know no one could have predicted how bad this is - but putting 20,000 people in a sports park and not getting in extra toilet facilities, not preparing for loss of communications, power, fresh water, and evacuating hospitals and nursing homes.

For our part - our Prime Minister John Howard has offered financial assistance and manpower in the form of the teams that assisted in Thailand/Aceh Tsunami disaster and East Timor and the Bali Bombings. The offer has not yet been accepted but our very experienced and professional people are packed and ready for when they get the go-ahead.

Thank you Australia. Our Sec of State announced that all reasonable offers will be accepted. Even the one from Venezuela. New Orleans has always had a very high crime rate. It is also very corrupt. The two most corrupt states in the nation are Louisiana and Rhode Island. Both the Governor of Louisana and the Mayor are reformers and known for fighting corruption. The best example of corruption I can give was that Louisanna up until a couple of years ago only allowed River boat gambling and the ship had to leave the dock. They never did--the river was "too dangerous" and it never stopped the gambling.

I feel so sorry for those people we need to get our collective buns in gear and get food water and medicine to the people there. It is still ridiculous. Now when they finally get to Houston it is hurry up and wait again....

Particularly for those of you who are not from the U.S., may I quickly explain how our system works?

We are a federal system which means that the power of the country lies with the STATE governments (amendment 10 for those fact checking at home). This means that the federal government can only interfere OR intervene at the invitation of the State government. The fed's can make an overture and did. On Saturday afternoon, 36 hours prior to the storm making landfal,l the President declared a federal disaster which put all of the resources of the United States at the disposal of the 3 Governors. It was still a State matter.

Some have asked why the government did not send busses to move people out ahead of the storm. That - or military transports WERE available - beginning Saturday afternoon, but the State leaders needed to ask for them.

True federal intervention and CONTROL of the project has only truly been in force since Wednesday afternoon, which creates the matter of transition. I'll grant you that this is not efficient. The problem is, we Americans have hated government for 230 years and choose to live with as little as possible. It's great for everyday life, but creates some wrinkles now and then.

BTW the greatest work in restoring the gulf coast will not come through our govenment. It will come through our people collectively working through chariites like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, and Samaritan's Purse.

Archived