Ocho Rios with kids? What to do?

eledaswerdna

I will be stopping at Ocho Rios with a 3&4 year old. Not great swimmers. Have you been with kids? What did you do? I am hearing bad things about this port. We'll be there via Carnival Breeze.

TIA!

Well, I can tell you what NOT to do...don't try to go to the falls. My BFF was there on RCI and found a plantation trip that was great for her high maintenance 9 yo daughter. It was the Good Hope thing,....

Get a guidebook! It will tell you EVERYTHING about Jamaica! Then, you can decide HOW to do what interests you!

Most kids that young really don't care about "sightseeing"...they do tend to like beaches! The guidebook will tell you which ones have the least surf.....you know, you don't really "swim" in the ocean...more like splash, play in the sand, etc...

Many don't care for stops in Jamaica....but there's really nothing to be afraid of....just stick to the "tourist" spots....you don't want to be wandering about with no idea of where you're going...so read up on your ports!!! Get a guidebook at your library!

Edited by cb at sea

Get a guidebook! It will tell you EVERYTHING about Jamaica! Then, you can decide HOW to do what interests you!

Most kids that young really don't care about "sightseeing"...they do tend to like beaches! The guidebook will tell you which ones have the least surf.....you know, you don't really "swim" in the ocean...more like splash, play in the sand, etc...

Many don't care for stops in Jamaica....but there's really nothing to be afraid of....just stick to the "tourist" spots....you don't want to be wandering about with no idea of where you're going...so read up on your ports!!! Get a guidebook at your library!

I will try to find one. I'm considering Bamboo Beach Club but it has such mixed reviews. I'd rather see more. I would love to sight see but the kids would probably prefer to hang at the beach. I would love to see the Falls but yea they probably can't handle climbing.

I will try to find one. I'm considering Bamboo Beach Club but it has such mixed reviews. I'd rather see more. I would love to sight see but the kids would probably prefer to hang at the beach. I would love to see the Falls but yea they probably can't handle climbing.

We just did the Falls last month (left DS on the ship with my parents) and we saw kids of all ages there -- though not a whole lot of younger ones. DH and I commented that we would NOT want DS to try to climb it until he was at least 8-10. I think you're smart to wait on that one.

We were in Ocho Rios during our dd first cruise when she was 22 months. We took a ship excursion to the beach that included lunch and beach chairs. It was great. The sand was so soft and she loved playing in it. The water was a little rough but she couldn't swim anyway and we carried her when we went in. It was a very enjoyable day.

This is a port I wouldn't go off on my own and certainly wouldn't bring kids to the falls. We've done the falls twice on our own and although you see kids there, I wouldn't do it.

We took our 2 year old son to Dolphin Cove which he loved because there are a lot of hands on experiences with animals there. For more information and pictures, here is our trip advisor review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d274030-r154722766-Dolphin_Cove-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html .

If you choose not to go there, you might want to contact all inclusive resorts to see if they sell day passes for your family. Some of the all inclusives are quite lovely, and your family might just have a nice time doing that.

Lunch at Scotchie's is great, and kids will enjoy it a lot.

We've been to Jamaica twice (once on a cruise, once at an all inclusive) and the people who were unhappy tended to not plan very well. Open markets or beaches will have aggressive vendors, so it isn't a country to wander around on your own. But if you plan a private excursion, you can have a really nice time since the island is beautiful.

Edited by kitkat343

Just commenting on the falls. We took our kids last year at 8 and 11. The 8 year old (who is petite) DID have a tough time. We had to walk one section of the falls and meet back up with our group. Overall it was a great experience but I would not consider bringing younger kids there.

We did enjoy Mystic Mountain as well. Not very suitable for the younger but was awesome for my kids.

I would look into a resort day pass at this age.

I believe the minimum age for the falls is 6, so when we went last year with our son who had just turned 4, we used Courtney Taylor tours and did a private tour. We went river tubing...it was perfect. The tubes all connected and had bottoms, it was just us floating down the river, so peaceful! Some little rapids that made it fun, then a stop that had a little swing, and then it was just peaceful floating. After that he took us to Bamboo Blu and we loved it...I am one who HATES pushy vendors and since it was a private beach there were none. A little restaurant we got some food at to tide us over to lunch, clean bathrooms, not too busy, easy for DS to swim with a floatie.

We ended at Scotchies for a great lunch, and then back to the port. They took great care of our son and we never felt like it was a bad place to be.

Interesting replies here.

DH and I did the falls on our honeymoon, and we've been anxious to do it with our kids.

We keep trying to book a cruise with a stop in ochos rios, but it never works out.

Our kids are 7 and 8. Both are fairly athletic. I can't imagine them having a rough time with. The experience (in my mind's eye) was not particularly daunting.

Our honeymoon was 15 years ago. Have the falls changed since then? Or maybe we just went on a relatively calm day/time of year?

Interesting replies here.

DH and I did the falls on our honeymoon, and we've been anxious to do it with our kids.

We keep trying to book a cruise with a stop in ochos rios, but it never works out.

Our kids are 7 and 8. Both are fairly athletic. I can't imagine them having a rough time with. The experience (in my mind's eye) was not particularly daunting.

Our honeymoon was 15 years ago. Have the falls changed since then? Or maybe we just went on a relatively calm day/time of year?

If my kids were 7&8 I think I would take them! Based off pictures and other comments I've seen. :)

At 7 and 8, if they are the athletic and not easily intimidated type, I'd probably try the falls.

We did a private tour that went river tubing, a small amount of sight-seeing and a stop at the falls with 5 grandkids, ages 3, 4, 5, 5 and 13, and their parents.

Our grandkids were good swimmers, even the younger ones, and not the fearful types. They loved the river tubing, got little out of the sight-seeing (most kids don't) and the younger 4 played at the small beach there while the 13 year old and the parents climbed the falls. My husband and I had climbed the falls on a previous cruise, so we watched the little kids.

Most small kids would have fun at some kind of beach--not so much swimming as splashing and playing in the sand. Sight seeing is not usually something they appreciate until getting toward the teens, if then.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Ocho Rios when my kids were 8, 7, 3 and 2. We chose to go to Mystic Mountain. It was fantastic. We took the chairlift up. They gave the toddlers seatbelts. They attached the stroller to the chairlift for us too. They were great and I never felt worried about their safety. At the top we looked through the quick museum, looked through the gift shop then I swam in the infinity pool with the two younger while hubby did the bobsled with the older ones. We then had jerk chicken and a cold drink while watching the lovely entertainment (drumming and dancing).

This year with the kids 2 years older we did the Blue hole. It was a lot of fun but our kids are pretty good swimmers. If yours aren't I'd give it a year or two.

We did Ocho Rios when my kids were 8, 7, 3 and 2. We chose to go to Mystic Mountain. It was fantastic. We took the chairlift up. They gave the toddlers seatbelts. They attached the stroller to the chairlift for us too. They were great and I never felt worried about their safety. At the top we looked through the quick museum, looked through the gift shop then I swam in the infinity pool with the two younger while hubby did the bobsled with the older ones. We then had jerk chicken and a cold drink while watching the lovely entertainment (drumming and dancing).

This year with the kids 2 years older we did the Blue hole. It was a lot of fun but our kids are pretty good swimmers. If yours aren't I'd give it a year or two.

cool thanks for your response. Yea I think they are not ready for Blue Hole. I'm looking into the Sky Explorer excursion on Carnival. The infinity pool looks fantastic!

cool thanks for your response. Yea I think they are not ready for Blue Hole. I'm looking into the Sky Explorer excursion on Carnival. The infinity pool looks fantastic!

Hey what cruiseline did you take? I just went to enter my credit card information then noticed in the details section it says 8+ but at the top it says any age. And the height requirement is 46".

I believe the minimum age for the falls is 6,

For cruise line excursions, the minimum age is 6. The falls just have a height requirement -- I believe it was 3-feet -- and private tours will take kids at age three and up. My petite, adventurous 9-year-old DD made it to the top and considered it the best experience ever. My tiny 5-year-old, very cautious 12-year-old, and cautious DH all enjoyed climbing at first but eventually grew tired and left the climb before the top. We felt it was still very worth it for our family.

However, I would not take a child under age five, unless they are insanely adventurous and you are willing to lift them at times. There was a child who looked three who was carried by his father the entire time, but that looked exhausting and treacherous. I would take adventurous, athletic 7 & 8 year olds. With younger kids, I would go to a beach. However, it is an option to go to the falls and have an adult stay with the non-climbers on the stairs. One private tour guide offered to stay with our youngest on the beach below the falls, but I doubt many American parents would agree to that. :)

Also, I did a lot of research and decided to save the Blue Hole for when my youngest is a stronger swimmer.

Edited by KatieCharlotte