Harvest Caye

skyfire53

We have the UBP and plan on going back to the ship for lunch. We will buy some drinks from the swim up pool bar at Harvest Caye but would also like to bring a few large drinks with us when coming from the ship.

What would be the best drink/container to order so we each have a couple of large drinks to go?

We have the UBP and plan on going back to the ship for lunch. We will buy some drinks from the swim up pool bar at Harvest Caye but would also like to bring a few large drinks with us when coming from the ship.

What would be the best drink/container to order so we each have a couple of large drinks to go?

Walmart has a tumbler that is a Yeti knockoff and holds 40oz that is about $15. If they let you off with a drink, that would be my choice: I just don't know if we can leave the ship with food or drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Walmart has a tumbler that is a Yeti knockoff and holds 40oz that is about $15. If they let you off with a drink, that would be my choice: I just don't know if we can leave the ship with food or drink.

I take my Yeti off with me every time I get off the ship....typically just filled with ice water, but have never had a problem. No one has ever checked to see what I have in it or questioned it at all.

Is there plenty to do at Harvest Caye without booking an excursion? How much are the drinks at the pool? It the beach nice? If you brought your own snorkeling gear would there be a good place to snorkel? Do they have rafts to float on and do you have to rent them?

My personal response from Harvest Caye - I am not sure about "plenty to do" but we managed to have an enjoyable day. Our itinerary had 5 port stops, so we had other ports in which we were scuba diving and snorkeling and doing other activities, so we were okay with a day that was a bit more relaxing.

We spent the day swimming in the pool, relaxing at the beach, enjoying walking through the butterfly garden, and rented some SUPs in the lagoon area. I wouldn't say this was the most exciting day of our itinerary, but it was relaxing and enjoyable, and didn't cost us much.

We didn't buy any food or drinks, so sorry, no help there. We ate a big breakfast on the ship, then went back late afternoon and ate. The beach is nice and large, with lots of lounge chairs. I didn't see any rafts available to float on (although the lagoon area has SUPs and kayaks). My understanding is that the snorkeling is not really good there, no reef, but we didn't try it.

Our summary was that if the entire cruise were like Harvest Caye, we would be disappointed. But as one day of our cruise, where we could enjoy the beach and pool without having to pay for/arrange transportation or beach access, it was a nice day.

I did not have any drinks but I understand the price was similar to on the ship. The beach is nice and there are plenty of chairs but sand was more coarse than the fine sugar sand that I am used to at home. They have a children's play area and a couple birds in a wildlife area and a butterfly area. Pool is nice and large with a shallow kids area. No rafts that I saw. If you are a beach person, then you may not care about an excursion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, hoping someone could provide info on the showers on HC. We booked our cruise very last minute (2 weeks prior to boarding), so not much time to consider all the usual plans and research.

My husband and I are both recovering from recent medical issues. Figured some R&R onboard the Getaway would be just the ticket. More fun than chilling on netflix for weeks on end! Saw my Dr yesterday. She is advising that I avoid the pools, hot tubs and even the beaches since my stitches have not healed completely. She's afraid of infection if I were to get into 'iffy water.'

I called NCL and they confirmed there are indoor and outdoor showers on HC. Since I am sure to get very hot, I plan to stand under a shower for a few minutes to cool off, and keep that up while checking out the butterflies and whatever else there is to do. Lay out on some deck chairs, cool off in the showers.

Anyone want to hazard a guess if these showers are clean, filtered, potable water, or is it potentially yet another missed beach day for me?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Harvest Caye is not classified as a Private Island, it is a private port. NCL leases the island and all food and shops are run by companies from Mainland Belize! This is why UBP isn't good on the island.

Just recently, Norwegian Cruise Lines purchased 75 acre Harvest Caye from the Government of Belize for undisclosed amount (I’ve heard $3 to 10 million USD) with the intent to raze it and make it the main port in Belize. Other estimates are up to $50 million.

Norwegian Cruise Lines announced the purchase of the 75 acre Harvest Caye off the coast of southern Belize, and their intention to create a cruise port and eco-friendly private island two miles south of the tiny fishing village of Placencia.

Only 12 acres will be habitable as the rest is considered swamp.

NCL says this project for a 4000+ passenger ship has a smaller footprint than the previously approved hotel for 760 guests.

Harvest Caye is a critical manatee habitat and breeding ground, and they want to bring in a ship over a thousand feet long?

This is a fragile area and none of this makes any sense.

Southern Belize isn't suitable for large cruise ships, period.....The residents are very unhappy with NCL and their dealings with what they consider a corrupt government deal.

Edited by seashells

can only do NCL excursions in Belize and not much to choose from, did not care too much for jungle river raft as just too long could have done in half the time so we would have had time to look around Harvest Caye

Let's be clear. If you stop at Harvest Caye you can only do ship excursions. If you stop at Belize City there are plenty of private excursions available.

Yes, there are free chairs/loungers at both the pool and beach. I believe some have umbrellas for shade. I don't know exact distances, but from the ship to the actual shore is maybe 1/4 mile? And another 1/4 mile to walk to the beach? The pool is a little closer to the ship than the beach. There was a shuttle/golf cart type of vehicle that looked to be available for use for those with mobility issues.

Are free beach and pool chairs available? Is there shade? How long of a walk would you guess to get to the pool and beach! Asking for some in our party with health issues.

4 minute walk on this video. Looks like it is a covered dock as well to keep the sun off of you:

• 3 weeks later...
I see shoreexcursioneers.com is now listing excursions from Harvest Caye. Has anyone used their services?

They have been offering excursions since Harvest Caye first opened but as each month approaches they show the excursions as suspended. So in January I was actually able to complete a booking for my cruise at the end of March (I did not, but got all the way to the payment page and decided to wait) but it would have been canceled. Now if you go to book it says it's currently suspended Mar 1-31. I would assume they are waiting until they get permission from NCL to come pick people up.

They have been offering excursions since Harvest Caye first opened but as each month approaches they show the excursions as suspended. So in January I was actually able to complete a booking for my cruise at the end of March (I did not, but got all the way to the payment page and decided to wait) but it would have been canceled. Now if you go to book it says it's currently suspended Mar 1-31. I would assume they are waiting until they get permission from NCL to come pick people up.

Thanks for the info. That is what I figured was happening so I won't bother booking for April to be disappointed later.

• 3 weeks later...
Can the seapass be used to buy drinks?, what about if we have the drinks package onboard

Would we still need to buy on the land?

From everything I've read you still have to purchase any food/drink on Harvest Caye. The UBP doesn't apply there.

Our plan is to eat a big breakfast and grab a drink from the bar to put in our insulated mugs. We'll get off the ship, walk around a bit, and hang out. We'll most likely go back to the ship to eat/drink.

Can the seapass be used to buy drinks?, what about if we have the drinks package onboard

Would we still need to buy on the land?

I believe you can use your seapass to purchase food and drinks, the UBP just isn't in play on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe you can use your seapass to purchase food and drinks, the UBP just isn't in play on the island.

It was my impression that everything was "independent" from the ship so cash only (or possibly credit cards, not sure there)... maybe someone who has been recently can confirm?? :confused:

It was my impression that everything was "independent" from the ship so cash only (or possibly credit cards, not sure there)... maybe someone who has been recently can confirm?? :confused:

I think there are some independent vendors on the island but I also believe some of the bars around the pool area have cruise ship staff working and you can use your sea pass card to purchase drinks and food as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app