NCL Excursions

irishinkc

I am taking my first cruise in July and doing the 12-day Grand Med cruise. Can someone please give me their experience on the NCL-sponsored excursions that they've taken in each port and why you chose a specific one compared to the other NCL options that are offered. There are so many to choose from! I pretty overwhelmed at the moment. I know there are many other companies that provide excursions that people prefer and use, but I would just like opinions on the ones offered by Norwegian for now. I will go the outside route if/when the time comes. Also, is there any benefit to booking the NCL ones as opposed to an outside company? I know they claim to get you back to your ship on time, but I don't think many people have really had that issue.

Here are the ports that I am interested in getting your thoughts on:

Athens

Kusadasi

Istanbul

Naples

Rome

Florence

Thanks so much in advance for anyone willing to help me :)

By the time we got to Florence, we had had enough of art and old buildings (especially since we had spent several days in Rome and Venice pre-cruise). So, we opted to the The Cinque Terre instead of Florence/Pisa. It was amazing. I would highly recommend it. We went through NCL, and we were glad we did. There was a traffic jam on the way back, and our buses got back after departure time. There they were waiting for us, though.

A number of the European tours last all day. If you plan on being gone for the full port stop, I'd suggest NCL tours. If you are planning something shorter, then, by all means, DIY. In Athens, we took the train from the port and did the Acroplolis on our own. Totally fine and inexpensive, but we weren't gone the whole day.

By the time we got to Florence, we had had enough of art and old buildings (especially since we had spent several days in Rome and Venice pre-cruise). So, we opted to the The Cinque Terre instead of Florence/Pisa. It was amazing. I would highly recommend it. We went through NCL, and we were glad we did. There was a traffic jam on the way back, and our buses got back after departure time. There they were waiting for us, though.

A number of the European tours last all day. If you plan on being gone for the full port stop, I'd suggest NCL tours. If you are planning something shorter, then, by all means, DIY. In Athens, we took the train from the port and did the Acroplolis on our own. Totally fine and inexpensive, but we weren't gone the whole day.

I know I'm going to feel the same way when we get to Florence (after having done Rome the day before) and Cinque Terre sounds right up my alley. Now I just have to convince my daughters to forego Pisa. Not sure that's going to be easy :( Thanks for the response!

I am taking my first cruise in July and doing the 12-day Grand Med cruise. Can someone please give me their experience on the NCL-sponsored excursions that they've taken in each port and why you chose a specific one compared to the other NCL options that are offered. There are so many to choose from! I pretty overwhelmed at the moment. I know there are many other companies that provide excursions that people prefer and use, but I would just like opinions on the ones offered by Norwegian for now. I will go the outside route if/when the time comes. Also, is there any benefit to booking the NCL ones as opposed to an outside company? I know they claim to get you back to your ship on time, but I don't think many people have really had that issue.

Here are the ports that I am interested in getting your thoughts on:

Athens

Kusadasi

Istanbul

Naples

Rome

Florence

Thanks so much in advance for anyone willing to help me :)

I can talk to you about Athens, Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We would never use a ship tour. In Istanbul and Kusadasi we use EKOL travel. The guide picks you up at the pier and whisks you off. You can set up your own tour.

In Kusadasi you need to go to all of these: Ephesus, The Temple of Artemis, The House of the Virgin, the Basilica of St. Johnand the remains of the Baths of Isa Bey. This can all be done in a day if you are by yourselves. When we went there were only 2 of us and we had a 16 passenger van.

In Istanbul we used the same company, though you can easily see the main sites without a guide. The advantage of the guide is that they get you to skip the lines. In Istanbul you need to see the Sultan's Palace, Aygia Sophia, The Blue Mosque, the Cisterns, The Hippodrome, and the Grand Bazzar. All easy to do in one day, but a driver and a guide help.

Athens is easy to do by yourself. We have been 3 times and never used a guide other than Rick Steve's guide book. The sites are all within walking distance, and the beauty of being alone is that you see what you want when you want.

Here is a link to a website with detailed reviews: http://pvavalides.com/cruises/greece/main.html

Edited by zqvol

For Italy ports, set up a group with Rome in Limo. It's way cheaper than a cruise excursion. For a Mercedes van of 8, tours will run around 80 dollars plus admittance plus guide, probably no more than $100 pp. plus, you can customize. Check them out on ports of call. Billions of positive reviews!

I can talk to you about Athens, Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We would never use a ship tour. In Istanbul and Kusadasi we use EKOL travel. The guide picks you up at the pier and whisks you off. You can set up your own tour.

In Kusadasi you need to go to all of these: Ephesus, The Temple of Artemis, The House of the Virgin, the Basilica of St. Johnand the remains of the Baths of Isa Bey. This can all be done in a day if you are by yourselves. When we went there were only 2 of us and we had a 16 passenger van.

In Istanbul we used the same company, though you can easily see the main sites without a guide. The advantage of the guide is that they get you to skip the lines. In Istanbul you need to see the Sultan's Palace, Aygia Sophia, The Blue Mosque, the Cisterns, The Hippodrome, and the Grand Bazzar. All easy to do in one day, but a driver and a guide help.

Athens is easy to do by yourself. We have been 3 times and never used a guide other than Rick Steve's guide book. The sites are all within walking distance, and the beauty of being alone is that you see what you want when you want.

Here is a link to a website with detailed reviews: http://pvavalides.com/cruises/greece/main.html

Great information! This is exactly what I wanted to hear, what places are important to see. So the Terrace Houses are not necessary to see in Ephesus?

For Italy ports, set up a group with Rome in Limo. It's way cheaper than a cruise excursion. For a Mercedes van of 8, tours will run around 80 dollars plus admittance plus guide, probably no more than $100 pp. plus, you can customize. Check them out on ports of call. Billions of positive reviews!

Yes, I have heard great things about Rome in Limo. I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

I used them for Rome, Naples and Florence....we saw everything....the Leaning Tower, the Amalfi Coast (must eat at La Tagliata) Sorento, Tuscanny, Pompei (must hire guide), and Janey will help with everything. Though I didn't set up the tours, there's no cost/responsibility for you....others on your toll call will gladly sign up cuz they're so popular....much better to be with seven others than a big bus....

Edited by mrobstad

I used them for Rome, Naples and Florence....we saw everything....the Leaning Tower, the Amalfi Coast (must eat at La Tagliata) Sorento, Tuscanny, Pompei (must hire guide), and Janey will help with everything. Though I didn't set up the tours, there's no cost/responsibility for you....others on your toll call will gladly sign up cuz they're so popular....much better to be with seven others than a big bus....

Sounds great. I will have to look up their tours, it sounds like. Were their names for the ones your chose?

A just married couple set up all three ports. Discuss with Janey from RIL your options. Like, when we were on Florence trip, I think, we all said we'd love to see Tuscanny, so five mins later, there we were. Our driver took us to an olive factory...Pisa isn't on any itinerary, but we went there. Talk yo him, set up what you want, and invite others on your roll call. The highlight was Amalfi coast (Naples) and lunch at La Tagliata. Sorry we didn't book a guide at Vatican....you must see keyhole in Florence, but drivers are creative and would prob show u that without even asking. With tip, it never reached $100 for seven of us....clean, new Mercedes minivans.

If you are traveling with your daughters you can do a private tour thru Rome in limo without asking for others on the roll call to join in

How many in your family. 3? 4?

Really enjoy your own family and pay the cost amongst yourselves

I find that my teen and young adult daughters are the best company I can ask for and I would not want to have to share our family memory making with others in the van

We can speak freely...laugh....discuss things without worrying about being rude to others

Just mho of course but we are very protective about family times and trips.... Which become more and more difficult to an as the years pass

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are traveling with your daughters you can do a private tour thru Rome in limo without asking for others on the roll call to join in

How many in your family. 3? 4?

Really enjoy your own family and pay the cost amongst yourselves

I find that my teen and young adult daughters are the best company I can ask for and I would not want to have to share our family memory making with others in the van

We can speak freely...laugh....discuss things without worrying about being rude to others

Just mho of course but we are very protective about family times and trips.... Which become more and more difficult to an as the years pass

That's a thought, even though it would be more. I do hate waiting around for others -- and what if someone in our car was annoying :eek: and you're stuck with them all day! haha Thanks for the suggestion. It would be more expensive, but I'm sure worth it.

So the Terrace Houses are not necessary to see in Ephesus?
The Terrace Houses are part of the Ephesus archaeological site (but they require an extra ticket on top of the entrance fee to the whole site). And they are definitely worth seeing, completely different from the rest of the ruins.

The usual assumption is that the ship's tours are all overpriced and overcrowded and that you should always plan small private tours with independent operators. The fact is that some NCL tours offer decent value for money, and you may have specific reasons for choosing this option. For example, if you have a lot of OBC to spend, excursions will eat that up pretty quickly :D Or if you don't feel like planning or don't have the leisure to plan weeks/months in advance, you can often book a ship's tour the evening before your day in port.

As you mentioned, they always emphasize the danger of missing the ship with a private tour, but this really hardly ever happens. But the peace of mind is worth something, especially if you're doing an excursion that requires driving 2 or 3 hours away from the ship. Along the same lines, if the ship ends up skipping the port, or if for some reason you decide to cancel the tour once you're on board, or if you have complaints about the tour after you get back, these things are all easier to deal with if you booked through the ship.

For your specific ports, these are my recommendations:

Athens: DIY with metro

Kusadasi: private tour to Ephesus (many reliable operators, just check TripAdvisor etc.)

Istanbul: DIY, DIY, DIY (tram and walking)

Naples: DIY for Naples, Pompeii, Capri, or Sorrento, private tour for the Amalfi Coast (possibly combined with Pompeii)

Rome: DIY with train (but check and double-check the train schedules and make sure there are no strikes!)

Florence: use ship's tour for Florence, Cinque Terre, or Lucca (or check your roll call for private tours). DIY to Pisa

That's a thought, even though it would be more. I do hate waiting around for others -- and what if someone in our car was annoying :eek: and you're stuck with them all day! haha Thanks for the suggestion. It would be more expensive, but I'm sure worth it.

If you are willing and able to pay for your own tour that is certainly money well spent

For someone looking for company or can't pay the cost then looking to form a group might make sense

Otherwise who needs others around during your family trip

Great information! This is exactly what I wanted to hear, what places are important to see. So the Terrace Houses are not necessary to see in Ephesus?

The terrace houses are very difficult and costly to see with a large group because access is limited to small groups at any given time.....

So to get around the high cost and difficulty of that particular ships tour we booked a private tour in Ephesus

Had a clean 9 seater van for the 6 of us and a guide who was a college professor

We had a private tour of the terrace houses which was well worth it in addition to the rest of Ephesus.... A stop at the virgin Mary's house...and of course a site seeing tour....and as an additional educational experience for my high achieving daughters....we got to pick the brain of a Turkish practicing Muslim and had a front seat so to speak to his attitudes...practices.....opinions.....etc.

This IMHO was worth the cost as we are a family that thrives on knowledge and Information. Not politics....be the correct or incorrect politics. Lol

We love to learn about other cultures. Practices. And ideologies.

A private guide can give you that

Edited by luvtheships

Also no matter what anyone here tells you to the contrary.....

While Ephesus/kusadasi is most definitely a tourist spot.....do dress conservatively

Cover arms and knees

Capris and 3/4 shirts are fine but a skirt and shirt is better. You will be noticed as will your style of dress

Others will chime in that they wore shorts and tanks.... Ok... But I do not recommend this with a private guide.... He/she will say nothing to you as you are paying them...But will be offended....and the smart money tells me you will get a lesser tour even if you don't realize it

It's just like dressing conservatively at St. Peter's.

Just dress appropriately in a Muslim country. That doesn't mean heads need covering btw.

Edited by luvtheships

We were 4 and used Rome in Limo. It actually came out cheaper than the ship excursions. You see everything. You are not as tired since the buses leave you at their stops. The cars can drop you off right where you want to go. They have the best reviews and best drivers. I have a leg problem with long walks but I was fine on all the Italy stops.

Also no matter what anyone here tells you to the contrary.....

While Ephesus/kusadasi is most definitely a tourist spot.....do dress conservatively

Cover arms and knees

Capris and 3/4 shirts are fine but a skirt and shirt is better. You will be noticed as will your style of dress

Others will chime in that they wore shorts and tanks.... Ok... But I do not recommend this with a private guide.... He/she will say nothing to you as you are paying them...But will be offended....and the smart money tells me you will get a lesser tour even if you don't realize it

It's just like dressing conservatively at St. Peter's.

Just dress appropriately in a Muslim country. That doesn't mean heads need covering btw.

Thank you. Sounds miserable to dress with longer than shorter sleeves in July, but I understand.

The terrace houses are very difficult and costly to see with a large group because access is limited to small groups at any given time.....

So to get around the high cost and difficulty of that particular ships tour we booked a private tour in Ephesus

Had a clean 9 seater van for the 6 of us and a guide who was a college professor

We had a private tour of the terrace houses which was well worth it in addition to the rest of Ephesus.... A stop at the virgin Mary's house...and of course a site seeing tour....and as an additional educational experience for my high achieving daughters....we got to pick the brain of a Turkish practicing Muslim and had a front seat so to speak to his attitudes...practices.....opinions.....etc.

This IMHO was worth the cost as we are a family that thrives on knowledge and Information. Not politics....be the correct or incorrect politics. Lol

We love to learn about other cultures. Practices. And ideologies.

A private guide can give you that

Which company did you use?

I guess I should have specifically mentioned them, they are definitely to be included but since they are within Ephesus I just forgot them. BTW,, that doesn't change any of the other things I said.

We did all of that in a short day ( 8-6) and still had time to shop. If you are there long enough the Turkish Baths are wonderful!!!!

Edited by zqvol

I guess I should have specifically mentioned them, they are definitely to be included but since they are within Ephesus I just forgot them. BTW,, that doesn't change any of the other things I said.

We did all of that in a short day ( 8-6) and still had time to shop. If you are there long enough the Turkish Baths are wonderful!!!!

\

I just looked and our ship is docked from 7-2. I guess that will be a big factor in what we can and can't see :(

Which company did you use?

I believe it was Ephesus deluxe. I basically found them by going on the turkey ports of call threads on here on cc

Initially I was nervous being that it was turkey but all went perfect. Again it's the tourist trade regardless of what part of the world it is

However, I found the for Istanbul the ruby princess ship tour was better priced and included more than a private tour so we went with that.

We were in Istanbul on a day that the topkapi museum was closed but the do allow private cruise tours to enter.

Again.... The tourist trade is worldwide!!! Lol

The ship tour was perfect... Not overcrowded and quite individualized as far as questions etc

Highlight in Istanbul was hearing the citywide...call to prayer....and the scene of watching the men kneel for prayer.

Istanbul is quite westernized btw but the mix is incredible

We saw a woman in full burka with a designer handbag using an iPad to take photos! Talk about juxtaposition !!!!