Question about passports

bohica81

"You mean to tell me that Carnival contacts US Customs for approval/disapproval every time a person shows up to check in with a birth certificate?"

What they meant was that Carnival will advise the passengers if the document they have is what customs requires. Carnival is the one that will stop you from boarding if you don't have the right documentation.

I assumed they were referring to photocopies of questionable quality -- customs will advise Carnival whether the document is adequate. Most people bring official copies with the seal and have no issues.

I have a passport for international travel but understand why people who only cruise don't want to spend the time and money, especially for a family. Passports for every member of a large family is much more than a few bucks.

I just cruised with someone who has only a birth certificate and ID. Our port did not have separate customs lines for passports and there was no delay with the customs agent. Her ID has her hyphenated married name, while her BC of course had her maiden name, but no one asked to see her marriage certificate.

Carnival is not alone in denying boarding due to the birth certificate or ID presented instead of a passport. A copy of your B/C is a state issued copy and they will authenticate it with an official stamp (ink not raised). The state I was born in delegates the responsibility to the county so my B/C was issued by my county of birth but on special paper with the ink stamp.

Why pax go through all the trouble to save a few bucks and not get a passport is mind boggling. All nations recognize the passport making ID very easy. When coming back into the US, pax with a passport will get through the quickest since they scan the passport and all the data they need is on the screen. It is so easy and as pointed out, you cannot fly in or out of the US without a passport. Getting a US passport or replacement out of the country at a US embassy/consulate is not an easy or quick task and you have to apply in person which may entail travel at your expense. Ever see a government agency do anything quickly?

I know for us (and I can only speak for us) it was a question of buying something that we didn't need for the types of travel that we were able to do. We have passports now (got them yesterday:)) but that's because our travel needs changed- we are actually planning a trip to Germany later this year. If someone only cruises on closed loop cruises every couple of years it makes sense given the very low risk that most people face (of course if someone's risk level is higher they might want to consider that). What it boils down to is every traveler has to pick the right travel documentation for them and the types of travel they do. The State Department has the authority to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons and one will get home. That there may be a delay is more of a reason to have good travel insurance than having a passport. (And FWIW we never spent more time in line than those holding passports.)

Simple answer..

You DO NOT need a passport if you are embarking and debarking at the same US port.

You do need proof of identity which varies upon how old you are, country of birth, etc. It is best to review your cruise documents to see exactly what you will need because you will get a gazillion different and often wrong answers on these boards.

Now, I too, will hijack the thread and will recommend for the approximately $200 bucks it will cost that travelers get a passport. It makes life easier at airports, cruise terminals, foreign car rentals etc. It also doesn't indicate your home address so it is a more secure form of ID when used to prove identity for foreign purchases. Lastly it is easily replaced if lost or stolen...especially if the loss occurs while on foreign soil. And once issued a passport you are in the US database as a confirmed citizen. And I will get off my soapbox now.

My life without a passport wasn't that difficult, I don't care about my home address being on my ID (and have never had to prove ID for foreign purchases in the first place), and my drivers license is easily replaced (and less expensive to replace).

My life without a passport wasn't that difficult, I don't care about my home address being on my ID (and have never had to prove ID for foreign purchases in the first place), and my drivers license is easily replaced (and less expensive to replace).

Well good for you, I'm glad you're traveling has been so easy and uncomplicated. Some of us haven't been quite so fortunate, and many of us do like to travel outside of the confines of US ports and cruise ships. What works for one isn't necessarily the right approach for many. There are many Carnival cruises where a passport is required so I try not to limit myself to the few that don't require one.