Glory Review 1/31/15: Super Bowl, Stingrays, Snorkeling, and Sun!

KCLangs

The Glory

The Glory is just the right size! We sailed on the Breeze last year, and I thought it was just a little too large - I felt like I spent so much time just walking. The layout of the Glory is great – plenty of elevators in the right places – not too confusing. I didn’t need a map after day one. She’s a terrific ship, clean, nice décor, and may even qualify as my new favorite (but I’d have to think on that a bit).

Cabin

Cabin 7350 is in the perfect location – two decks down to Promenade or two decks up to Lido. The only issue we had was with the shower – it was hot or scalding hot. By the third day, we finally decided to complain. Someone showed up right away and tested it then left. Then five minutes later he showed up again and took the shower knobs apart and replaced them. He tested again then left. He was back five minutes later and I heard him call someone on his radio, something about cold water pressure being nonexistent. Fiddle, talk, fiddle, talk. All fixed! He was terrific!

Service

Our room steward’s name was Suechata. She was wonderful. Her swift action was instrumental in getting the shower fixed so quickly. She also found me a Day 4 FunTimes after mine went missing. Her timing and efficiency in keeping our room clean was spot on! She always left us extra chocolates because she discovered early on that the kid has a terrific sweet tooth. We loved her!

I was excited to try the Alchemy Bar, and then… On day one, I just happened to be walking by and I had been drinking a margarita on the rocks. I popped in and asked the bartender if he could make me one and he basically said they only do specialty drinks at the Alchemy Bar. That killed my enthusiasm to spend any time there since I found it difficult to believe he wouldn’t just make me what I asked for – you can’t tell me he didn’t have the stuff to do so. I’m pretty sure that’s the only time I’ve ever been told no on a Carnival cruise.

Food

Nearly everything we ate in the dining room was superb. I did have one entrée that was not – some kind of stuffed bell pepper. It had chicken inside and pastry outside and was quite spicy. I took two bites and that was it. The WCMC is a huge favorite and we had it several times during the trip. I adore the tiramisu and both the kid and I loved the cheese cake.

One morning I sampled the salmon eggs benedict at the breakfast buffet. I think they were using a cured salmon as opposed to grilled salmon because it was extremely salty – one bite of that was enough. We love Guy’s burgers and this trip didn’t change that – YUM! The coffee bar is a bit slow but the coffee is exceptional – we enjoyed a few selections from there during this cruise.

We hadn’t been on a ship that had the fish & chips bar before. If you like fish, and seafood soups, etc., make time to stop. Watch the timing though, it’s not open all the time – noon to 2:30 typically. The boys really like Blue Iguana. The kid gets the biggest burritos and always eats the whole thing (hollow legged teenager) and DH likes all the choices for tacos and the salsa bar.

Entertainment

We popped out to Lido one evening to watch the Dive-In Movie. The popcorn smells like heaven! We aren’t show goers and we didn’t manage to make it to the piano bar or any of the comedy sets like we did last year. The kid loved the sports bar. He endeared himself to the bartenders and the regulars. He was dubbed “prince of sports bar” after a couple of days, then he was elevated to “co-king of the sports bar” on the last day. He battled the bartenders on Xbox and they taught him card tricks. It sounds a little weird to say my kid’s favorite hangout on the ship was a bar, but it was.

Cheers! Program

The Cheers! Program works really well for us – here’s the breakdown for those interested:

We spent $804 on the program

We had a total of 118 adult beverages

To make the math easy let’s average each at $8 a piece

(beer is cheaper, a Miami Vice is more, etc.)

118 x 8 = 944

We saved approximately $140 using the Cheers! Program

Questions?

That’s the end of my synopsis of the Glory. We had a splendid vacation and no major complaints – just lots of amazing experiences and wonderful memories to take home. I’d be happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

i was wondering what dining room you were in and what level you were on in the dining room? We will be on Glory in April and have a group of 11 people. do you think we would fit at a table for 10 or did you happen to notice any tables for 12?

Check with the maitre de upon embarkation. She/he meets with those who wish to check/change dining arrangements before sailing - usually a set time but before muster. We had late dining (8:15) in the Platinum dining room and were on level one. Our table was just inside the room so we didn't see many table set ups. The ten top looked big enough to seat eleven.

Edited by KCLangs

great review. makes me want to go back on the glory. i was getting off when you were getting on.:( it was my first time on the glory and i loved her.

i spent a lot of time in the alchemy bar and i am surprised and disappointed you were brushed off. i too would have been mad and not gone back. (but you should definitely try the alchemy bar again on your next cruise it is awesome) it is true they can only make specialty drinks and only have certain alcohol behind the bar. but they do have patron silver. one night i had all 3 bartenders/waitress make me a tequila drink. each was different and each was very good. since they only use fresh ingredients like fresh squeezed limes etc. it was way better than the ultimate margarita. they even salted the glass.

as far as the piano bar you did not miss anything. i usually love the piano bar but not this one. when you walk in it really smelled bad like a cross between wet floors and smoke. the few times i did go there was usually only another couple in there. the piano player i think his name was kyle spent most of his time just talking. when he did play it was good, but he just didn't seem to want to be there or care. like i said when he actually played it was good and the bar would start to fill up. and once the bar started to get a vibe to it, he would say it feels like a good time for a smoke break. he would then disappear for like 30 minutes and the bar would once again empty out. he did this every time i was there it was horrible. the last night i was there for an hour. at that time it was my wife and i and another couple. in the first 30 minutes he only played 3 songs and talked the rest of the time. the next 30 minutes he played a couple more songs and 4 more couples came in the bar and just when you thought it was going to get good he stood up and left for his smoke break. then everyone left.:mad:

• 1 month later...

This was great! We're leaving in three days (three!!!!!) and I am doing a last minute search for all things Glory. Your review reminded me that I really need to take the time to take notes so I can share with everyone here!

Thanks again!