Internet and checking emails on board

Pedroandme

We are first time cruisers and normally rely heavily on email as our main means of communication. I have been searching around to find out if internet is available on Azamara Quest and what it will cost. Many thanks for your help.

Internet Access Rates

$0.65 cents a minute with no package

$29.95 for 49 minutes

$49.95 for 89 minutes

$79.95 for 150 minutes

$99.95 for 237 minutes

Just taken from website so Hooe it helps.

The link is https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=0h_bVOuyJtDlaJXggsgE&url=http://m.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/stay-connected&ved=0CCgQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFAcqzmlY_gihkRz6dwIBKulh3YIg&sig2=FE10xQ81PsXNUEvw1D7ElQ

Edited by jaydeemdm2015

Yes, as KK's post, very variable speed & reliability - multiply the charge quoted by jay by 5 (or 10 or even 20 :eek:) for a true cost, due to slow speed and dropping-out. Add a huge amount of frustration & wasted time.

When sending e-mails, first compose them off-line. Be sure to log-out when you're done - and even logging-out can take ages.

Applies to every cruise line & every ship I've sailed, though some are better than others.

Best to rely on free internet at hot-spots, bars, cafes etc ashore, as long as you're confident you can keep your phone / tablet safe (eg mebbe don't take it ashore if there's just two of you & you want to go swimming).

If planning to use free wifi at a bar or café, check that other patrons are happily tapping away before you order a drink - the signal might be as poor as on the ship!! Most need a password, available from a drinks server.

The crew tend to know the best places ashore for internet.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

A couple of more thoughts. If at all possible, remove as much extraneous data from your email messages. Send without pictures and fancy attachments. Text is best - compact and without overhead. You would not believe the bloat in modern email.

Ditto for those communicating with you. You don't need their fancy emails, just the gist. Request they do the same and you'll be much better off.

Also, what kind of email system do you utilize? If you have the capability to download mail and process offline, so much better. Too many people just do online webmail where the clock runs and runs and runs - see if you can go to some kind of downloading or client where you can batch download, log off, read and process offline, log on, and then batch upload.

As mentioned before....remember that onboard, you have taken huge step backwards in time. Yes, the connection may be wireless but your speeds are going back towards the dialup modem era. We've been spoiled with fast mobile data on land at home, and even faster data through our cable/fiber at home/work. Finally, remember that there is a finite amount of bandwidth through the sat system...if you see 20 other people using computers, you're all competing for a slice of that "pipe". If you get bogged down, quit and try another time.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I needed to hear. The internet prices on board would add up to a small fortune. For that price I'm not interested in even trying. I use Bigpond webmail when I'm away and I think my plan will be as suggested to forget about the internet while on the ship and use wifi if possible when onshore. I can draft up an email offline and paste it quickly onto an email if ever I get a chance to log on somewhere. Hadn't thought to ask the crew about onshore wifi so that is a good tip. Thanks :)