Friend wants to join...not sure I want her to.

cruisin' 4 fun

Another vote for you to be upfront and tell her if she wants to go she will need to make her own arrangements, and there is a 'strong possibility' she won't be seeing you for a large portion of the trip.

You really don't need to explain yourself but if you feel you must, just tell her this trip is time for you and what you want. Don't apologize or feel badly about this. It's your hard earned money you should enjoy what you do with it. It's not your job to make sure she has a good time, that's on her.

I realize I may sound a bit harsh, but I've learned the hard way.

Do your own thing and have a great trip....;)

I'd just be open, say this is your "get away from it all" trip and traveling solo is a major factor in that. Works for family and acquaintances - the most they can come back with is "why would you want to do that?!" In which case you don't want to travel with them anyway because you will become responsible for their entertainment.

If they respond "oh, yeah, that would be awesome - I'm jealous!" then you can consider traveling with them (in separate cabins) at a future date!

I'd just be open, say this is your "get away from it all" trip and traveling solo is a major factor in that. Works for family and acquaintances - the most they can come back with is "why would you want to do that?!" In which case you don't want to travel with them anyway because you will become responsible for their entertainment.

Bingo! The first one was my friend's response when I told her I'd be cruising solo. I originally invited her, but she made planning so difficult, that I threw in the towel and decided to go alone. Her words were: "You want to go on a cruise by yourself? That's NOT NORMAL. You have to go WITH SOMEONE." I knew right there that I'll be responsible for keeping her entertained, even though that's Carnival's job. That said, most of my friends I made onboard were non-solos, but their reaction to me cruising solo was very positive.

Bingo! The first one was my friend's response when I told her I'd be cruising solo. I originally invited her, but she made planning so difficult, that I threw in the towel and decided to go alone. Her words were: "You want to go on a cruise by yourself? That's NOT NORMAL. You have to go WITH SOMEONE." I knew right there that I'll be responsible for keeping her entertained, even though that's Carnival's job. That said, most of my friends I made onboard were non-solos, but their reaction to me cruising solo was very positive.

Hi:)...is the person still a friend? I don't want to sound mean and hope

it doesn't come across as such but she is the one who sounds like she

is not normal:eek:.......you ought to tell her there are tons of people

who cruise solo and we prefer it that way:D......we are very normal.

• 1 month later...

I decided at the last minute to cruise the Western Med, solo. Total spur of the moment decision made on a Sunday night and booked Monday morning. A few days later the word got out in the office that I was going on the cruise. A coworker, who just happened to be a real bully, found out and started the "ooh, can I go with you?" chorus. We'll have so much fun, I've always wanted to go to Rome, it will be cheaper for you, blah blah blah. When she finally shut up for a few seconds I looked at her and said "Suzanne, people usually go on vacation with people they like. You don't like me. Why would I go on vacation with you?"

She was speechless and our boss almost choked from laughing so hard. And it never came up again.

It was great.

Liz

A coworker, who just happened to be a real bully, found out and started the "ooh, can I go with you?" chorus. We'll have so much fun, I've always wanted to go to Rome, it will be cheaper for you, blah blah blah. When she finally shut up for a few seconds I looked at her and said "Suzanne, people usually go on vacation with people they like. You don't like me. Why would I go on vacation with you?"

She was speechless and our boss almost choked from laughing so hard. And it never came up again.

Brilliant! Can you imagine being with a bully in a captive environment like a cruise ship? If anything, it was probably her intention to "have so much fun" making your cruise miserable.

I did my first Solo cruises with friends of ours, only because DH didn't want to go for 7 days and we were within 6 months of our long awaited Australia trip. A friend who had never cruised wanted to go but 4 months into it, she backed out which was fine. DH asked if I was going to ask anyone else, and said no, unless he came I would prefer to have the cabin by myself.

I decided at the last minute to cruise the Western Med, solo. Total spur of the moment decision made on a Sunday night and booked Monday morning. A few days later the word got out in the office that I was going on the cruise. A coworker, who just happened to be a real bully, found out and started the "ooh, can I go with you?" chorus. We'll have so much fun, I've always wanted to go to Rome, it will be cheaper for you, blah blah blah. When she finally shut up for a few seconds I looked at her and said "Suzanne, people usually go on vacation with people they like. You don't like me. Why would I go on vacation with you?"

It was great.

Liz

Sounds like a great work environment.:rolleyes:

While it is nice to have a friend or family member around at times, I value my space too much. I've gone on two holidays with another person (one was a cruise). I have since decided that I much refer travelling solo, even if it means paying more and having moments of unwanted alone time.

I'm lucky that on my cruise with a family member that we didn't always have to be joined at the hip. It was a short cruise too. I don't think I could have done a long one - not because I don't care for that person but simply because I love my own space more.

I have a friend who travelled with a work colleague friend a few years ago. It was allegedly a disaster. The only respite for my friend came from the long haul flight where they were somehow separated across the cabin (I suspect it was deliberately done). Hearing the litany of horror stories about that trip made me so thankful that I'm comfortable on my own and none of my friends like to cruise.

I've got 32 nights cruising solo at the end of the year - including Christmas and NY. I'm very much looking forward to plenty of 'me' time and the opportunity to meet new and interesting people.

Of course, I don't look forward to being asked why I'm travelling alone a lot (which always happens) or getting mistaken for being a member of the crew (I'm young). Actually, I sometimes enjoy the latter - it gives me great stories to tell later on :)