Half off or Guest free Scam

KayFit

I'm really confused with the promotions of half off and guest 3 and 4 sale free because when I price it, most of the time it's seems to be the same price.

I just tried the RCCL with 50% off second guest. The lowest price was about $479 per person for a total of $958 plus taxes and port fees equals 1263.84. The summary of charges reflected person 1 as $639 plus t&f 152.92 then person 2 as $319 plus t&f 152.92 for the same exact total.

So how am I getting 50% off the second person if they are just increasing the first person price by the difference? There is a possibility that I am mistaken or unaware of the practices but this seems like a scam to me. I also tried with several other options and/cruise lines and it just seems like the prices of the person paying full are increased. Am I doing something wrong?

Is the minimum rate is $479? Maybe the the "50% off second guest" applies to higher priced categories only? I'm guessing though, everyone pays the full port taxes and gov't fee rate. I'd call customer service and inquire.

Edited by marco

In most cases, the price you see listed in the average price for two people with the discount already applied. So, when you do the actual pricing, you see the actual costs and the discount too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So the price listed will reflect the discount even without selecting which specific cruise or cabin?

The cruise industry has followed many retailers in using all kinds of "promotions" to stimulate sales and muddy the waters (guess that would be sea water). So, when we book any cruise we have a simple formula to compare pricing. Simply determine the total cost per passenger which is the total cost for all passengers (including taxes and fees) plus the cost of tips (if any) minus the value of any amenity. And with amenities we use the value as it applies to us rather then what the cruise line calls the "value." So although a drink package might be valued at $50 per passenger day we generally factor it at $35 per passenger day which reflects our normal bar bill.

Once you have come to the final total cost simply divide by the number of passengers and then by the number of cruise days to derive the "total cost per passenger day." Using this relatively simple formula provides a pretty accurate tool to compare both cruises and cruise lines.

Hank

Thanks maybe that's what I'll do because it shows the 50% off but then it increases passenger 1 price. Yes I believe everyone pays the same taxes and fees regardless of price.

Yes. Taxes and fees are the same. I just did a quick mock booking, and there is a note that explains the pricing - it is located up above the boxes where the prices are listed (at list the note is there when it listed a few cruises for Freedom - not sure if this note is displayed everywhere).

We would add that so-called "taxes and fees" are almost always the same per passenger regardless of the cost of the cabin, promotions, etc. Much of the "taxes and fees" are based on the cruise line's best estimate of "port taxes" (charged by the ports), fees for the pilor (required by the ports and insurance companies), etc. Port taxes are sometimes later adjusted (often during a cruise) with any refund credited to a each passengers account. A few years ago there was a class-action lawsuit (filed in Florida) about these "taxes and fees" and the result was that the cruise lines are now careful to be honest and accurate with this item.

Hank

So the price listed will reflect the discount even without selecting which specific cruise or cabin?

Yes - sort of. If you look at main page for a cruise, it shows "cruises starting at" price - this is averages price with discount applied for two people for cheapest available cabin, if you click Book Now, it will show the average price with discount applied for two people for the cheapest cabin in each of the various categories. I think this approach is carried through when you pick a specific cabin type.

I just tried the Freedom and the price is displaying correctly with the 50% off, maybe it's a glitch in the system with the particular cruise I'm trying. I'll try again and then maybe call.

Nothing surprises me with the RCI web site - everything is glitchy.