Celebrity kid's club

shellie100

My 2-1/2-year-old son and I will be on the Celebrity Century in November. Does anyone know if he will be allowed to play in the kids club (with my supervision, of course, as he is under 3). I have gotten 2 different answers from customer service and so I thought I would come ask you guys, the real Celebrity experts ;)

When we were on the Dawn Princess last year, they allowed my son to play in the kids club, although he was not yet 3-years-old, as long as I was there, too, which was fine, and he had a great time. I hope this is also the case with Celebrity.

Thanks for any information about this situation!

Shellie

It was a few years ago when our kids were at that age on our first Celebrity cruise (aboard the Century). Back then even our 7 mo old son was allowed to play in the playroom with parental (and even babysitter) supervision.

Today there are more rules around doing this but I don't know how well enforced it is. I don't recall seeing kids less than 3 yrs old with their parents in the playroom on any of our more recent cruises (but I wasn't looking for this either).

What I can tell you is that on our last cruise (aboard the Horizon), I noticed that there was a sign prominently placed outside the door of the play room which stated "Due to public health regulations children wearing diapers or pull ups are not permitted in the children's playroom". This could be the more overriding factor for you than just your son's age.

Last I knew, no children under three or not potty trained no matter what age are allowed in the children's area. At least two cruise lines that I am aware of have programs for kids under 3 and not potty trained. Royal Caribbean has their aquatots program sponsored by Fisher-Price and Carnival lets kids 2 and older and not potty trained in their kids program.

From the Celebrity web site:

" Age Restrictions:

The Celebrity Youth Program provides activities for children and teens 3 to 17. Children must be a minimum age of 3 years old. Proof of age may be requested.

Health Restrictions:

*Children participating in the Celebrity Youth Program must be completely toilet trained and diaper/pull-up free."

On the Connie in April I would often sit and sun on deck right outside the entrance to the kid's center. There were always toddlers visiting with their moms or dads:)

Great! Like I said, I don't mind hanging out with him, as long as he can play. We actually booked an inside guarantee, and were placed just a few doors down from the kids club, so it will be very convenient if they let him play, and horrible to walk by if they won't let him in.

No, you cannot go in there with a child that young. They will loan you a box of toys to play with in your cabin. They also offered to help match us with other kids that age so we could set up our own playgroup outside of the kids club. But that is it.

the program rules continue to be 3-y-o min AND "trained" BUT I saw families with toddlers playing in the "play yard" outdoor area behind the Fun Factory (where the wading pool is - though not used on the two cool-ish Mercury itineraries we've sailed) -- TR

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually surprised that Celebrity wouldn't WANT little kids to be playing in the kids club - you know, so they aren't elsewhere making noise or bothing guests :p Oh well! I guess my son will just be playing in the pool instead. He loves the water!

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually surprised that Celebrity wouldn't WANT little kids to be playing in the kids club - you know, so they aren't elsewhere making noise or bothing guests :p Oh well! I guess my son will just be playing in the pool instead. He loves the water!

The have good reasons. It is said that non-potty trained children, usually those less than 3, are a higher risk to transmit certain disease like e-coli. The cruise line is merely protecting the other children and itself. That is the same reason for no non potty trained children in the pools. Carnival chooses to take that risk.

The have good reasons. It is said that non-potty trained children, usually those less than 3, are a higher risk to transmit certain disease like e-coli. The cruise line is merely protecting the other children and itself. That is the same reason for no non potty trained children in the pools. Carnival chooses to take that risk.

Though I can understand the concern of diaper wearing children in the pool being a possible source of contamination I can't imagine how a child in diapers , or a child under three who is potty trained, could be a possible source of contamination to others in the childrens play areas? My goodness, who is it that says this?

When you pick up a baby in diapers, or a potty-trained toddler, do you really think you are at risk of fecal contamination? No one is asking the staff or anyone else to change a diaper or help him to the toilet, or in any way to even handle this child, he would be under complete supervision of his mother, grandmother or grandfather.

I'm sure they don't think a child wearing a diaper is a problem for contamination except in the pool. The "potty trained" requirement is not unusual for participating in child care programs. As far as parents supervising their children in the play area, it probably wouldn't be a problem on cruises where there are not too many children. I can imagine it might be if the program is more crowded. Parents have been known to get in the way of the staff and the older children who are participating because they feel the need to protect the younger children who shouldn't be there anyway.

Anyone who is interested might want to call the person at Celebrity in charge of the kids program so all might not need to speculate.

Unless something chaged in the last few months, I can tell you that the person for the RC brand is very clear about the rules and clearly states there are no exceptions. On RC you might get in the kids area when noone is arround but when the program is open, no kids under three and none in diapers even with parents and yes he states that part of the issue is leaking diapers.

Anyone who is interested might want to call the person at Celebrity in charge of the kids program so all might not need to speculate.

Unless something chaged in the last few months, I can tell you that the person for the RC brand is very clear about the rules and clearly states there are no exceptions except for challenged children. On RC you might get in the kids area when noone is arround but when the program is open, no kids under three and none in diapers even with parents and yes he states that part of the issue is leaking diapers.

Sorry to say he won't be in the pool either if he is not potty trained. I'm sure you know why. I guess they assume the parents will make sure he isn't bothering the other guests.

I do understand that, as he has been on a cruise before, although he will probably be potty trained by the time of the cruise. But as far as bothering the other guests, some people are bothered by the mere presence of children. Nothing that I can do about that. I just thought that the kids club would be a better place for little kids to make noises and play. Like I said, we'll do that by the pool instead.

I'm sure they don't think a child wearing a diaper is a problem for contamination except in the pool...

Apparently, they think is it. According to another poster there was a sign at the kids club that said "Due to public health regulations children wearing diapers or pull ups are not permitted in the children's playroom".

I think that part of the reason for wanting kids potty trained is so that the counselors don't have to change diapers or pull ups. I understand that a lot of parents would stay with their kids, but I bet there are a lot who would "be back in just a minute" and return hours later (apologetic, of course!:) )

Have a wonderful time! I wish I was going with you!

I think that part of the reason for wanting kids potty trained is so that the counselors don't have to change diapers or pull ups. I understand that a lot of parents would stay with their kids, but I bet there are a lot who would "be back in just a minute" and return hours later (apologetic, of course!:) )

Have a wonderful time! I wish I was going with you!

You really think that parents of children under three, potty trained or not, visiting the children's area, would just sneak out the door and leave their babies, possibly for hours?? Yikes! :eek: If this did happen, I would think it would be grounds for having this family put off the ship at the next port!

Obviously, the over three and potty-trained rule means the counselors are not expected to deal with diapers and/or babies, that is a given. I think everyone is on the same page about that. No one here is suggesting anything otherwise.

The issue is why would Celebrity not allow a child who is under 3, with his mother's constant supervision, to enjoy the children's play facilities? I would like to add that this child is paying a full passenger fare (he's not a 3rd or a 4th in a cabin).

I'm sure Celebrity has it's reasons for this rule, though other cruise lines don't share Celebrity's concerns. Chances are there won't be many children on this cruise, since November isn't a tradition family cruising time, so perhaps if there are very few children, those running the program won't mind us dropping by on occasion for a few minutes of fun. :)

On our recent cruise (July 2005), we were in the Fun Factory with our seven-year-old, on the first night of the cruise. A couple came in with their 2.99 year old child (birthday was actually DURING the cruise), and they told the couple that they could loan a box of toys, as per earlier poster. They said the child would be welcome to join the activities on her birthday and thereafter. They would not budge on the age limit, and further said that the child was not allowed in the fun factory except for just a few minutes unless picking out a game/toy, or picking up an older sibling. They were nice about it, but inflexible.

On our recent cruise (July 2005), we were in the Fun Factory with our seven-year-old, on the first night of the cruise. A couple came in with their 2.99 year old child (birthday was actually DURING the cruise), and they told the couple that they could loan a box of toys, as per earlier poster. They said the child would be welcome to join the activities on her birthday and thereafter. They would not budge on the age limit, and further said that the child was not allowed in the fun factory except for just a few minutes unless picking out a game/toy, or picking up an older sibling. They were nice about it, but inflexible.

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that possibility.

Shellie

Archived