Would you book a guarantee?-Vista

kelkel2

I am considering after talking with my DH, booking a 2017 Vista cruise. The prices are pretty good for an 8 day, but the really good rates are for the Guarantee rooms. Of corse, we would book a balcony, but with all the different categories, I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea, personally, I wouldn't have considered it before because I like to pick my room, but there's so many categories that I would actually like to have, that I would have a hard time choosing. I would be happy with a cove, or an aft, or a havana etc...I mean more than likely I would probably just get a cove, but honestly I would be fine with that. What do you guys think?

I did a guarantee years ago and since then I NEVER DO ANOTHER! You could very well end up in an area of the ship which I consider "undesirable"..such as the very forward (have bad weather there is more movement here), or low deck on the ship...or being under a very noisy room such as the disco or galley or dining room. No, pick your room and choose where you want to be.

Personally, I would only book a guarantee if it was after final payment & the cruise was very close - because by then, I could see the prices being the best you could get since Early Saver would be unavailable and you'd be after final payment so you couldn't adjust your rate anyways.

I think with it being so far out, I would book a room (Early Saver, Past Guest) that you'd know you'd be happy with both the location and price. I think the rates, while they are super high right now, have a lot of time to fluctuate - hoping for the better here. At worst case, you could watch the guarantee rates closer to final payment and if they're much lower (as long as you didn't book ES) you could switch to that before final payment. If you booked ES, then you have the fun of watching for price drops.

All up to you, I'm sure you'll receive different opinions on this so it'll be interesting to see what others have to say! :o

Guarantee rate for our Vista booking is $120 cheaper with a $50 obc as of this morning. Very tempting......

I know, That's what I saw too... I have never booked a guarantee before with Carnival. I did a mock booking and honestly, I really couldn't decide on a category that I really wanted to book. Especially if we did the 8 day, I really would save a lot of money by doing the guarantee and if I picked my cabin I can not decide on a category.

I know, That's what I saw too... I have never booked a guarantee before with Carnival. I did a mock booking and honestly, I really couldn't decide on a category that I really wanted to book. Especially if we did the 8 day, I really would save a lot of money by doing the guarantee and if I picked my cabin I can not decide on a category.

What sailing are you on? See I'm thinking prices won't drop for ours since it's the CTN. Might be worth it, but I'ver never done a guarantee. And my husband will be a total grouch if we assigned a bad cabin.

We always sail in January. Well, I won't say always because we got a great deal one year in April, but that's beside the point.

But I am looking at January 2017. I pulled up the booking agent for all January 2017 cruises because I care more about the ship than the ports. The 6 day isn't that exciting as far a ports go, I'm kind of burnt out on the western route, but if we did the western route we could probably afford to pick our room, and probably a really nice one too. But eh the ports, really don't care about them.

The 8 day, still cheaper than the Breeze cruise we are booked on, so I can't really complain. But honestly unless we chose a cove, we would probably do a guarantee. Because to select a room it's going to get expensive really quick.

Decisions, decisions.

Right now we are booked on an aft extended view on the Breeze, 8 day southern. So the Vista prices really aren't looking too bad to us.

Good luck deciding. The Valentines day sale is over tomorrow so we have to think quick. If I was looking to book a balcony and the savings was significant, I wouldn't hesitate to do a guarantee.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Breeze cruise. We're doing the Southern route on the Sunshine later this year.

You can take your chance with the guarantee and if the prices drop after final or right before the cruise, maybe you can upgrade yourself to an assigned cabin? If not then just take your chances and know you got it with a good rate.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked 1-8-17 on the Vista yesterday. Couldn't pass up the valentines sale. Just this past January we sailed the Pride. Never book guarantee due to always wanting a specific balcony. We booked guarantee because we were going cheap & would've book a 7A obstructed balcony anyway. Ended up getting 8128!!! Right behind front elevators. Awesome location!!! Rolling the dice on the Vista because we'd have booked cove anyway. So we'll see! Location will NOT ruin our cruise as long as we have a balcony. Happy sailing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would book a guarantee.

I have booked guarantees and it was kind of fun.

Sort of like gambling.

And I have chosen some cabins that turned out not so good.

The guarantee for the 6 night is only $579/pp for a balcony!!! But now I can't get my husband to agree because he doesn't like the ports...

OMG come on!!! I want to book so bad! I told him who cares about the ports, we aren't booking the Vista for the ports...

Edited by kelkel2

Ports??? What are those??[emoji6]. Seriously, we'll probably go to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel and stay on the ship for the other two. We pd $446 for 3 in a gty balcony!!![emoji15]. Amazing price for a brand spanking new ship! I'm excited!!!

I would book a guarantee.

I have booked guarantees and it was kind of fun.

Sort of like gambling.

And I have chosen some cabins that turned out not so good.

Especially if you're going to book cheapest balcony!! You're guaranteed at least that but will probably get better!!

I know, I adore Grand Cayman, and have been to Cozumel 3 times but I have no problem going back there. He isn't fond of grand cayman because of tendering. The only port that isn't a repeat is Ocho Rios. Is that the same as Montego Bay, or is that a different port. That's the one port he really doesn't want to go to "because friends told him it wasn't a good port"....

The guarantee for the 6 night is only $579/pp for a balcony!!! But now I can't get my husband to agree because he doesn't like the ports...

OMG come on!!! I want to book so bad! I told him who cares about the ports, we aren't booking the Vista for the ports...

Your husband needs to relent and trust you.

Ochos Rios has Dunns River Falls and some nicw resorts that offer day passes. He'll enjoy the whole trip I'm sure!!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Sorry, No guarantee for me. I picked my cabin on my last cruise and didn't realize it was across from a crew access door. I heard every time someone used that door. For the most part they were careful about the door closing but often had to bring a cart out and it was bothersome. Was it enough to complain about, no but worth mentioning to others so they will be aware.

I have had guarantee at last minute when you see what cabins are avbx in your category on mock bookings and most likely will get one decent one ..but anything else I choose, I would rather have one that is quiet..like an inside...and known to be possibly quiet.. than a balcony under or over the disco or galley...

Now I did have and inside that was lousy because jumping kids on each side of me..but that was Easter sooo..lol.

Do what you can to get a chosen room but if willing to risk and only way..take earplugs and fatigue of the grind with you...I still slept with earplugs and a pill on that loud cruise..lol...Sarah

Also struggling with this Guarantee or No Guarantee Room decision on a 9/15 cruise. The saving is big and the extra $50 OBC very nice. I find noise issue in public area kind of overblown. Pretty much all public facilities are closed and music stops playing by midnight. Shouldn't be a big issue unless one is an early sleeper.

Also struggling with this Guarantee or No Guarantee Room decision on a 9/15 cruise. The saving is big and the extra $50 OBC very nice. I find noise issue in public area kind of overblown. Pretty much all public facilities are closed and music stops playing by midnight. Shouldn't be a big issue unless one is an early sleeper.

This is kind of how I feel, plus it's not like I can ask anyone. No one had experienced any of these cabins before...oh I keep pestering! I'm trying so hard! A few more hours to convince him on this Valentine's Day sale..