First time visitors need suggestions

CPAYNE1997

• 2 weeks later...

You can always get off the ship and find someone to give you a tour of the island. They usually hit the same standard places, going by Maho beach to see the airport, maybe take you to the flee market area (can't remember the name) you can walk up to the fort, many like to take you to Orient Beach but be warned the one side is a nude beach!The last time our taxi driver drove us by because the other couple wanted a "drive by" I could have done without that scenery!

It's usually much more cost effective for a family to go this route if you can find a couple more to join you they tend to drop the per person rate the bigger your group! If you don't like the person offering the tour say no thanks and move on there will be more offering the same thing or they will customize a tour for you.

Check out Loterie Farm; amazing hiking area, zip lines and ropes courses! The Tree Top restaurant has incredible tapas and mixed drinks with a very cool vibe... it's a platform in the tree canopy with sofas and throw pillows. There are amazing beaches on the island. You could rent a car and beach hop, or take a cab to Orient, etc.

My family of four (daughter 15 & son 12) will be visiting St Maarten for the first time in May. We have no idea what to do and are open for suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

You could taxi to Mullet beach, walk over to Maho and watch the planes landing and taxi back to Philipsburg for some shopping.

If you are looking at Jewelry, go to Shoppers Haven at 49 Front St. and ask for Victor! I brought my daughter her first ring there when she was 14, she ordered her engagement ring and bought her wedding ring there. She is now 34 and we are taking the 4th generation of the family there to meet Victor for the first time in 2 weeks! Our whole family shops there and he is very honest!

Rent a car! There are several companies right at the cruise port. We rented one our first time there. Drove to Orient Beach to swim for a bit. Then to Maho to see the planes. Then drove around the island a bit. Beautiful scenery. Then we ended up at Little Divi Resort to snorkel and swim.

It was very easy to drive there and easy to find everything. We are doing the same thing this April.

Rent a car! There are several companies right at the cruise port. We rented one our first time there. Drove to Orient Beach to swim for a bit. Then to Maho to see the planes. Then drove around the island a bit. Beautiful scenery. Then we ended up at Little Divi Resort to snorkel and swim.

It was very easy to drive there and easy to find everything. We are doing the same thing this April.

May i ask how much your car rental for the day? We are not doing any excursions when we arrive on the Regal the first week of April and may plan on going this route.

May i ask how much your car rental for the day? We are not doing any excursions when we arrive on the Regal the first week of April and may plan on going this route.

You can probably get an Avis car for about $75-80, Hertz for $80-85, Coastal for a bit less. Go on line to check their sites, and book in advance to assure availability and agreed price. You will have a better time than on a tour, and probably for less money for four of you.

DO NOT miss Maho Beach where the planes land right over the beach. You and your family will enjoy that, its an experience worth having.

I would HIGHLY recommend Bernards Tours and doing the island tour, its $45 per person. We did this tour last year, enjoyed it so much we booked it again this year!