Back to Back Mexican Riviera on the Veendam

Ineke

We had been looking for a cruise for Spring Break, as we couldn't find exactly what we wanted for a resort stay. So we found something we could be happy with - Mexican Riviera 7 days on the Veendam, and booked it. For two weeks, same cruise 😀 I have a couple of random questions, hopefully some folks will have some answers.

1. We have done this cruise about 10 years ago on the Ryndam (a real favorite of ours), how different will we find the Veendam?

2. Will we have completely identical events i.e. entertainment, menus, etc? I would expect so, but thought I'd ask.

3. Formal night - 2 each week? D.H. doesn't feel like taking his tux, is it fair to think there will be very few tuxes on a shorter cruise such as this?

4. Any must-do excursions? The last time we just went into town in each place.

5. We booked HH guarantee at our own peril, I guess. Does anyone know what the chances are of us being able to keep the same cabin? The lady at HAL wasn't able to tell us.

6. Fixed dining. No available slots, of course. On the 7 day itineraries, are people as attached to their early ot late fixed dining times? We don't care which seating, we'd just like a fixed time. On our last 3 cruises we were able to get into a fixed dining time 2 times, but not last December, and we didn't much like

Any Time dining.

Thank you in advance for your help, it is appreciated as always!

We had been looking for a cruise for Spring Break, as we couldn't find exactly what we wanted for a resort stay. So we found something we could be happy with - Mexican Riviera 7 days on the Veendam, and booked it. For two weeks, same cruise I have a couple of random questions, hopefully some folks will have some answers.

1. We have done this cruise about 10 years ago on the Ryndam (a real favorite of ours), how different will we find the Veendam?

They are the same calss but Veendam has had changes. Veendam now has only one pool - the aft pool area has been changed, the pool removed and cabins added under where the pool had been, plus other new cabins added in the aft. This results in a bit poorer passenger-to-space ration due to the added cabins and no added public space.

2. Will we have completely identical events i.e. entertainment, menus, etc? I would expect so, but thought I'd ask. Probably, but sometimes having the same menus is an advantage - if you had trouble deciding between two choices you can try something different the next week.

3. Formal night - 2 each week? D.H. doesn't feel like taking his tux, is it fair to think there will be very few tuxes on a shorter cruise such as this?

5. We booked HH guarantee at our own peril, I guess. Does anyone know what the chances are of us being able to keep the same cabin? The lady at HAL wasn't able to tell us. The HH guarantee is a popular choice and there are usually more HH guarantees sold than there are HH rooms, so some people will get "upgraded." Whether you think your upgrade is better or not can be a crapshoot. No telling if you might have to change rooms but even if you do it's not that big a deal; the room stewards will help you and usually provide a rolling hanger cart.

6. Fixed dining. No available slots, of course. On the 7 day itineraries, are people as attached to their early ot late fixed dining times? We don't care which seating, we'd just like a fixed time. On our last 3 cruises we were able to get into a fixed dining time 2 times, but not last December, and we didn't much like Any Time dining. We've had open dining several times and were able to request the same table/same time for the whole cruise. This was great for us; if we decided to stay longer in a port they would give our table up after 15 minutes and we could be seated later on, so IMHO even better than fixed seating because with fixed seating if you miss your dining time you are off to the Lido and won't be seated later.

Thank you in advance for your help, it is appreciated as always!

Hope you have a fun time! m--

I am usually the one to lament the reduction of public space to passenger ratio, but in this case the size of aft pool deck was increased. In fact, it is quite large. We did not feel crowded on the Veendam last year.

igraf

They are the same class but Veendam has had changes. Veendam now has only one pool - the aft pool area has been changed, the pool removed and cabins added under where the pool had been, plus other new cabins added in the aft. This results in a bit poorer passenger-to-space ration due to the added cabins and no added public space.

We had the pleasure of visiting Veendam last winter during its stay in Puerto vallarta and made some photos. Indeed the aft pool is gone, but there are some whirlpools there now as you can see on this photo.

We have sailed on various ships, but didnot notice any lack of public space due to the addition. The ship looked great everywhere we were.

Re Puerto Vallarta excursion. Take a local bus or cab to the Malecon, boulevard along the ocean. Nice place to walk. Continue to old town, have a drink and/or lunch right on the beach, walk the pier etc.

In case you have been there, another option might be a shipsexcursion to San Sebastian. An old former mining town in the mountains.

748665958_Veendam-PuertoVallartamarch2014(9).jpg.472dcf20c1d4d61db6a39b909b065369.jpg

1334557134_Veendam-PuertoVallartamarch2014(11).jpg.1387bec8ffc67a5630ec0dd2b8f16fdd.jpg

315392535_Veendam-PuertoVallartamarch2014(49).jpg.c20a230110c22df334b0b1173b5a2c5b.jpg

Edited by Ine
want to attach photos

Is it Cabo, PV and Mazatlan? There is a place in PV that you can do a WILD dolphin swim, though you do not actually HAVE to swim with the dolphins. Some of us did, and some of us didn't, swim. I would do that tour again, if I have a chance.

http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphins-tour/

If you go to Mazatlan, our preference is to go to Stone Island on our own. You need decent mobility and knees that work adequately to take the water taxi. We spend several hours under a palapa, enjoying the shrimp and onion rings at Victor's.

I don't know for sure, but I think you might be too late to whale watch in Cabo (which is what we did).